What age do they stop growing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a 15month old Hereford/Angus heifer calf. She was a bottle baby since 3 weeks of age due to mother cow's aging health. She has recently come into heat twice and I wanted to breed her. However after a trip to the vet to discuss the issue of breeding, I was told she was too small and to wait until she is finished growing. About what age would my heifer stop growing? She is in good body condition per the vet and no health issues. I know she will never be big...one because she is a bottle baby and two because she is part Hereford. Thank you!

First, a bottle babie can be just as growthy as a cow fed baby under great management. Second, a Hereford/Angus animal can be just as big as most any breeds - especially British breeds.
Cattle "finish growing" around 5 years old. Do you have any idea how much she weighs??? Maturity comes with weight most of the time.
We breed our heifers at around 14 months of age. British heifers should weigh about 700#??? We raise Simmental, and most of our heifers will weigh 1000# at breeding.
If she is cycling, she must be getting close to breeding size???
A picture with her near something that would indicate her actual size might help you get a better answer - definately a weight would help.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of her next to something to gauge her size. I can only tell you I'm 5'6" average weight, and the height of her butt reaches mid torso of me. She still stands on a rake, so I know she's got some growing to do. However while at the vet, at least 3 veterinary staff said she was too small. Thank you for your info! I had no idea they would grow until 5 years old=) No weight either. :banana:

Are these large animal vets you're talking to or pet groomers?

I have a hard time believing any HxA heifer at 15 months isn't ready to breed. I've had a couple calve out at 13 to 15 months of age (not on purpose!).

We generally target 60-65% of expected mature weight at the start of breeding season (14-15 mos of age) and usually have 94-95% bred in 45 days. That is without any grain supplementation.

That's the problem, I took my cow to a pet groomer for advice. Um...no! These are University LARGE ANIMAL Veterinarians. All I wanted to know is what age do heifers stop growing? Only two people who have responded have been helpful! I may be a newbie, but I'm no dummy. Unless you helpful advice please don't bother posting. :devil2: Thank you to Jeanne-Simme Valley and farmwriter for your posts, extremely helpful. :tiphat:

Your heifer will still grow while being pregnant. Did your vet palpate her and there are internal problems like small pelvic score as to why he/she would like your heifer larger than she is now.

15 months or younger to be bred for all of my heifers or they need to hit the road.

Good luck.

I should add that some producers like to wait until 18 months, but ideally a heifer should calve at around 2 years . If your vet is a good one and knows cattle you might want to wait , I am sure they had a good reason for saying you should wait.

Allsparksowner":1gt6wmhc said:
These are University LARGE ANIMAL Veterinarians.

A few of those folks who grew up around here are attending vet schools and call me from time to time. We occasionally get questions from others such folks right here on the forum. You may or may not be talking to someone who actually knows.

Folks responding to your post are merely trying to analyze what you have with no real information. Based on your description and the information at hand, there is no way to make an determination of anything.

There are heifers known as a "slow breeder." Most experienced cattemen will not bid on a slow breeder at the sale barn unless they are bidding for a slaughter animal. If you get an old cattle vet to look at her and he tells you, "She's going to be a slow breeder", you might want to wait a few more months. I culled three such heifers a few months back. Some of it has to do with size but more of it has to do with development.

I'd give you an honest answer on her if I could. No one (in my opinion) can help you with the information you furnished. Its not good business to wait a long time (e.g. until she's five years old).

Your vet said "Wait". Why ask us to give a second opinion when we have never seen the heifer, much less examined it? Everyone on here knows that date of first breeding has more to do with nutrition than anything else including genetics. You paid for the vet's advice....follow it.

Cattle are about 34% larger now than what they were in the 60's. You can research that if you'd like. People don't breed heifers these days until the are about the size of your average full grown cow of the 60's. Average 205 day weaning weights in 1960 was 347 lbs. You hoped to have your heifer way 500 lbs before she was bred.

backhoeboogie":2p0ya7yd said:
Cattle are about 34% larger now than what they were in the 60's. You can research that if you'd like. People don't breed heifers these days until the are about the size of your average full grown cow of the 60's. Average 205 day weaning weights in 1960 was 347 lbs. You hoped to have your heifer way 500 lbs before she was bred.

Edit: Here's a source so that you don't have to take my word for it. You'll have to convert from metric weights. : http://www.arc.agric.za/home.asp?pid=2795

Other information we don't have.

When do you want her to calve? Do you have a herd and a calving season, or just one heifer?

What kind of bull are you planning to use? There are different levels of calving ease. Heck, you could have bred to lowline angus months ago.

What feed is available to support both her growth and that of the fetus?

1. This heifer is a pet more than anything, I don't care if she never produces anything! I know many think it dumb, waste of time and money, but guess what..........its my money loss!

2. I simply asked "WHAT AGE DO CATTLE STOP GROWING?" specifically angus and hereford breeds.

3. I posted in the "NEWBIE" section because after 10 years of not raising cattle, I thought some helpful cattle owners could help with the above question.

4.She is the only cow/heifer/bovine I own, she is fed grassy/alfalfa and straight alfalfa. I am trusting the vets advice to "wait to breed her", just simply had a question...please refer to #2. She also has an iodized salt lick, fresh water, sometimes cob w/molasses and any vegetable table scraps I choose to give her. She also gets horse cookies from time to time.

5. I didn't come here to be reamed up one side and down the other about my little heifer. Who cares if I never breed her, its my money loss! Right? I'm not a producer obviously, I understand that is probably dumb to many cattle owners, however its my choice to pour money into a cow that's a pet.

6. I didn't ask for a second opinion, I only had one question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AGE DO CATTLE STOP GROWING?!!!!!!!!!! That's all
Thank you to those who offer good advice and links to info. I have found it very helpful.

Check wit hte LA vet about spaying her. It ca ne done vaginally so there isn;t any exterior cut. Spayed she will make a much better pet

Allsparksowner":3cpm58px said:
That's the problem, I took my cow to a pet groomer for advice. Um...no! These are University LARGE ANIMAL Veterinarians. All I wanted to know is what age do heifers stop growing? Only two people who have responded have been helpful! I may be a newbie, but I'm no dummy. Unless you helpful advice please don't bother posting. :devil2: Thank you to Jeanne-Simme Valley and farmwriter for your posts, extremely helpful. :tiphat:

I'm sure you're not a dummy. Pet groomer is a commonly used term for small animal vets among large animal vets and cattle producers. I was asking a legitimate question. The answer you were given, "I was told she was too small and to wait until she is finished growing" sounded like an answer from a small animal vet.

Sorry you took offense.

Allsparksowner":1hpaf9k8 said:
1. This heifer is a pet more than anything, I don't care if she never produces anything! I know many think it dumb, waste of time and money, but guess what..........its my money loss!

2. I simply asked "WHAT AGE DO CATTLE STOP GROWING?" specifically angus and hereford breeds.

3. I posted in the "NEWBIE" section because after 10 years of not raising cattle, I thought some helpful cattle owners could help with the above question.

4.She is the only cow/heifer/bovine I own, she is fed grassy/alfalfa and straight alfalfa. I am trusting the vets advice to "wait to breed her", just simply had a question...please refer to #2. She also has an iodized salt lick, fresh water, sometimes cob w/molasses and any vegetable table scraps I choose to give her. She also gets horse cookies from time to time.

5. I didn't come here to be reamed up one side and down the other about my little heifer. Who cares if I never breed her, its my money loss! Right? I'm not a producer obviously, I understand that is probably dumb to many cattle owners, however its my choice to pour money into a cow that's a pet.

6. I didn't ask for a second opinion, I only had one question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AGE DO CATTLE STOP GROWING?!!!!!!!!!! That's all
Thank you to those who offer good advice and links to info. I have found it very helpful.

Good gosh take a pill ..If you know it all why ask here or better yet why didn't you ask your vet and all of their contemporaries with all of their wisdom.. You might want to shake the chip off your shoulder .....

I think that most who replied to you are real producers and not one cow hobbyist so you need to respect theirs and my answer ,, btw an iodized salt block is not enough, she needs minerals as well..

After reading your original post again it sounds like whom ever bottle fed her did a really shitty job,, so if you want a pet, take duns advice and spend the money to get her spayed..

I agree with hillsdown in that you need not get upset about the answers you got. I am not truely a beginner either but I respect the advice of what most people on this board have to say about a subject. You did ask: At what age do they stop growing? But in your narrative you went in to breeding etc. making it seem like that this was important to you. That is why you got alot of answers that you didn't not won't.

Ok, the typical textbook answer is that the bovine continues too grow until it is ~50 months old. Cattlemen LIKE to breed heifers at 15 months old too maximize the number of calves out of her in her lifetime; BUT to do that (without killing the heifer) the general rule of thumb is that the heifer needs to be at least 60% of their mature weight (some research indicates that today's bigger heavier cattle would be better at 55% but that is an academic debate). Now what will her mature weight be? We had some 730 lb cows here in the 70s on the one extreme. Other folks have 1900 lb moma cows on the other extreme. Most are 1000 too 1500 lbs. Over the internet, even if I had a picture I can't begin too guess what your heifer will weigh when she is grown. Your vet has seen her. He is in far better position too make that call. Since she is a pet, I see no reason too breed her before she is 27 months old.

I currently have a 9 month old calf bucket calf. (she's on hay and feed now) She quit growing at 4 months. :mad:

yup.... looks like I have a pet. :roll:

Latest posts