what age do kids go hunting?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80

Reaction score
I'm excited my soon to be11 year old is going deer hunting with me for the first time! Opening day is on her b-day! She don't want to hunt herself yet, just go and watch me hunt.

Just curious what age y'all's kids/grandkids started going with you?

Any suggestions to make it a memorable and fun time for her?

I started taking my boys when they were 4, just squirrel hunting and some short bow hunts. I let my oldest hunt for the first time last year when he was 8.

My youngest son started hunting with me at 3, shot his first deer at 5 with a BB gun. Killed his first deer at 7 and first buck at 8 while hunting with me. He started hunting by himself after killing the buck and has never looked back.
My son is 25 now and my hero. Enjoy yourself time flies by, cherish it while you can.

Son started I guess as a toddler. Killed a deer at 5 and a turkey at 6. Is bow only now for deer at 13. I think it's illegal, but he hunts by himself. Has for a while now. Daughter picked up turkey hunting at age 8 I think. Oldest daughter doesn't care for it.

Both son and daughter went with me a few times from 3 on. Son got his first deer at 6 and daughter at 7. At 6 she said they were to cute to shoot. This year at 8 it was up to the week of youth season when she reasoned with herself that she really liked deer meat so she thought it was ok if she shot another. I wanted her to go with me but she had to be able to accept the outcome and I wasn't about to force hunting upon her.

Kids started going with at 4 or 5. I don't remember exactly. Both boys started hunting at 11. Older one was 11 and 1 day. The younger one was 11 and 10 months. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings to make the younger one wait another year. A maturity and gun safety thing. The oldest girl never did hunt or for that matter anything else that might involve physical excretion. The youngest two girls both started in their late teens. All four of the ones who hunt have shot nice bucks and bull elk.

My daughter went with me first time when she was 5. Try to make sure they are comfortable not hungry and go some where you will see several deer. We went in a shooting house on warm days. She took paper to draw to pass time. She is 7 now not really into the deer hunting. But goes rabbit hunting all the time. Likes walking talking not setting still and loves the dogs.

It depends on the individual kid. I've been with 6-7 year olds that I have full confidence in and are comfortable with having firearms. I also know 30 year olds that shouldn;t be allowed out wihtout a nanny

Can't remember the exact age I started. But I carried my son, at around 5 or 6, started first with dove and squirrel..then went with deer.. He just killed a 18 pointer couple weekends ago.. Ugly rack on the old deer..not many around here make it that far..

dun":14hn3gfc said:
It depends on the individual kid. I've been with 6-7 year olds that I have full confidence in and are comfortable with having firearms. I also know 30 year olds that shouldn;t be allowed out wihtout a nanny
I know one like that,blew a hole in my sons boat, duck hunting. And that was just while unloading...Thank God he didn't hit my son..

We went ( me and my 11yr old daughter ) opening day. She had a blast! She loves it! Seen lots of deer and Turkey. Shot a seven point Saturday evening. She said her favorite part of it all was tracking the blood trial. Lol, of all things THAT'S what she enjoys!
I'm just glad she enjoyed it. And she making plans for next year all ready.

My oldest son shot his first deer at 7. Youngest boy shot his around 9. Daughter didn't start hunting till high school.