what advice would you give ?

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
What advice would you give to a couple in there 30s that want to replace the husbands full time job with a cow calf operation ? The job it would replace pays 22000.00 take home per year. Land would be leased. Leased land is running between 10 to 20 dollars a pair. They will not be buying cattle with bank money, but are buying cows as they get extra money.

Dont take a flying leap from one to the other. Keep the 9-5 and do as much cattle stuff as you can on the side. Start building your connections and keep detailed books on every thing you do. When you have quite a few years of info from YOU running YOUR operation you should be able to make a better projection of what the operation will produce... or not produce.

He could be mowing lawns with a few cattle on the side making more than 22K..... IF HE WANTS TO.

I wouldn't jump in with both feet untill I tested the water first. If you are passionate about it you will find a way to make it work, but don't kick the foundation out from under yourself untill you have another place to stand.

Howdyjabo has a very valid point - Wife needs to teach or have a state job w/ health insurance - Husband has to be able and willing to do odd jobs for supplemental income - It may take more hd of cattle than you think.

Do they have any experience with cattle?

I got laid off in Oct 2010, started buying stocker type calves, right now I am making almost what I used to make at work, I do almost anything else I can find for work, haul scrap, fix fence, paint or whatever. We've been in the cow calf side of things for the past 20 years, as a side gig (read taxes), so the infastructure is there, no lease payment, equipment purchases and so forth. It is rough starting out.

Considering the cost to keep a recently bred cow, later calving, calf weaned at ~205 days, can figure about $1,000 "invested" in that calf. This is your BREAK EVEN point. Considering quality forage, hay, minerals, vaccinations, de-worming, water and NO land payment or lease. Also, doesn't include direct and indirect overhead, etc. What one sells a calf for is rarely more than what it cost to breed, board cow and raise a calf to selling.

On the other hand, if you can buy a weaned calf for $200 to 300 let it survive mostly on its own in pasture and later sell it for $500 or more...might make a little money.

All depends on how much you already have in the bank and how long you can make it last.........with a pot load of good luck thrown in.

If you can go to a bank and sell them on the idea....then we can talk.

Don't lose that regular job, especially if it has health insurance. You can work in some cow-calf pairs if that is your goal a few at a time, as you get money. The cow market is at an all time high, now is not the time to buy in. After this thing crashes you can buy them a whole lot cheaper, but remember, you won't make much selling cheap cattle, either. However, you won't have 1500 dollars invested in each cow when they are worth 500. So, any way you look at it, keep that day job and don't lose that money that is actually coming in and not just hoped to be coming in. Health insurance is a huge consideration in the matter, also. Best of luck in your decision. There used to be a funny email that was circulated that started out by saying "When I took early retirement, my wife had to get a second job to make ends meet." You don't want your wife to have to get a second job. You will end up with the housework along with the cattle work.

Kind of goes along with the health insurance but you have to keep a gig away from the farm for social security benefits as well.
Drop by any old time farmers place and talk to him about why he is still farming and aside from the obvious that he loves it, he also probably has zero income becasue he never paid into the system.

andrews29":2yaufk5p said:
What advice would you give to a couple in there 30s that want to replace the husbands full time job with a cow calf operation ? The job it would replace pays 22000.00 take home per year. Land would be leased. Leased land is running between 10 to 20 dollars a pair. They will not be buying cattle with bank money, but are buying cows as they get extra money.
If you don't already have cattle established, or $250,000 to get started.....forget it. There is no way to make that happen. Like others have said, use your extra money to get started as you go along, unless you have a considerable amount to invest you MIGHT be able to replace your 22k in 10 years.....if your really good.

Cattle will never support your living unless you run a few hundred head and have everything paid for
my wife and I live below the poverty line for 2 people on our NET income and cows and hay are our main income
yes we do pay the buills and have decent equipment,vehicles and house but extras in our live are pretty much non existant plus we also had very good jobs before this and my wife is a excellent money manager and each oine of our incomes was WAY more than $22k a yr
this wasn't supposed to be our only income because she had planned on keeping her job while I "retired" at a fairly young age to the cow business but life happened and we wound up with both of us doing this for a living instead of the wife having a good job she now works for an A$$Hole that doesn't pay well at all

If you want to run cows lease some ground and run a few cows and keep your full time job
I know guys that run 100 hd or more and still work full time
yes it is a lot of work trying to manage cows and work but it will show you if you truly want to do it full time and even whne you do it will still be alot of work

Angus Cowman":2bq7ehsp said:
Cattle will never support your living unless you run a few hundred head and have everything paid for
my wife and I live below the poverty line for 2 people on our NET income and cows and hay are our main income
yes we do pay the buills and have decent equipment,vehicles and house but extras in our live are pretty much non existant plus we also had very good jobs before this and my wife is a excellent money manager and each oine of our incomes was WAY more than $22k a yr
this wasn't supposed to be our only income because she had planned on keeping her job while I "retired" at a fairly young age to the cow business but life happened and we wound up with both of us doing this for a living instead of the wife having a good job she now works for an A$$Hole that doesn't pay well at all

If you want to run cows lease some ground and run a few cows and keep your full time job
I know guys that run 100 hd or more and still work full time
yes it is a lot of work trying to manage cows and work but it will show you if you truly want to do it full time and even whne you do it will still be alot of work

Ha, I think my wife works for the same guy :lol2: :lol2: . The only thing is I think my wife has been known to talk back to the boss..... heck she thinks she is the boss .

Larry

larryshoat":14jsfoc5 said:
Ha, I think my wife works for the same guy :lol2: :lol2: . The only thing is I think my wife has been known to talk back to the boss..... heck she thinks she is the boss .

Larry
UH-HUH..... :lol:

larryshoat":2nujx5mc said:

Larry
Mine thinks she doesn't need me most of the time so that is why I take several trips a yr to Jeds so that she can see how much she really does need me when I am gone
I sure hope that doesn't backfire on me or else I may be living at Jed's full time
His wife loves me :lol: :lol:

backhoeboogie":3trl4bz7 said:
Putting all of your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

Especially with record high prices. I don't think you can make any money BUYING cattle now. You could prolly make some selling them.

Sock your money away till the next downturn then buy in - except as others have said - to wade in a little now to learn some stuff.

Latest posts