What about Tigerstripes

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
I own a couple TS heifers and I really like them. My oldest just calved for the first time. Seems to be a great mama, good milk. Bred to full Angus. Threw the prettiest black baldy. Didn't know if any of you had any experience or opinions one way or another. Mine are very long and deep. I really like 'em. I'll try to get pics up soon.

Please do, I'd like to have some idea of what my steer will look like at a larger size.

From my extremely limited experience of only a few weeks I will say that my tigerstripe acts like a completely different animal than the others. I have observed the black-tailed deer on the property a great deal over the years and I would say that he acts a lot more like a deer than a steer. He's just very alert and always the first one to notice something new in his surroundings and the last to stop watching it.

I think the problem is that people don't want a hair-trigger animal spooking their herd. What I have found though is that just as one nutcase can spook them, one real calm one can send a positive message to the nutcases. For example: when we first got these steers I couldn't get anywhere near any of them but the large Angus x Hereford cross. I really won that one over when I took an old broom and started scratching him with it. The tigerstripe watched this and probably realized that I'm either the most patient predator on Earth or I'm not interested in attacking them. Now he'll come in relatively close if I'm tossing them apples and will actually lay down in my vicinity. Before he wouldn't lay down if I was 50 yards away and behind a fence.

I don't have too much information on whether they gain better, though his gut has grown to a much greater size in proportion to where it was than any of the others so I think he may be eating more than them.

My 2 year old mama is tame. I scratch her on the nose daily. I think I could ride her and take a nap. 3 months back she had some bailing wire wrapped around her leg. She didn't even think of budging when I grabbed a hold and cut it off.

RazorbackRed":19xzkgit said:
I own a couple TS heifers and I really like them. My oldest just calved for the first time. Seems to be a great mama, good milk. Bred to full Angus. Threw the prettiest black baldy. Didn't know if any of you had any experience or opinions one way or another. Mine are very long and deep. I really like 'em. I'll try to get pics up soon.
as long as you handle them quietly you shouldnt have much trouble. my experiance has been with them the older they get and the more handling. they mellow out but don't monkey with their babies except in the chute are there will be he!! to pay. they are a protective of a outfit as you will find

[
  • quote="RazorbackRed"]My 2 year old mama is tame. I scratch her on the nose daily. I think I could ride her and take a nap :( before i say too much to this are you a lady?

I for one can put up with a fairly mean cow. i think I can get them used to me, but i like them to be able to fend off the occasional stray dog or other would be predator.

RazorbackRed":3sihikpz said:
I for one can put up with a fairly mean cow. i think I can get them used to me, but i like them to be able to fend off the occasional stray dog or other would be predator.
there' no reason to put up with a mean cow. protective is one thing. but im gonna be able to handle them other wise they leave

RazorbackRed":26yyrdmo said:
Alacowman, I am no lady. I just read what I typed. that is some funny stuff right there.
alright then if you can scratch a tiger on the nose my hats off too you but dont make a habit of it. she might rearange some ribs for you

ALACOWMAN":3i5c1895 said:
RazorbackRed":3i5c1895 said:
Alacowman, I am no lady. I just read what I typed. that is some funny stuff right there.
alright then if you can scratch a tiger on the nose my hats off too you but dont make a habit of it. she might rearange some ribs for you

Thats no joke Tigers have 2 instincts and thats fight or flight you will get run over either way.

Latest posts