What a Mess

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":21dzhsyb said:
Caustic Burno":21dzhsyb said:
Yep I couldn't even see three of my ponds as the creek that is normally about 8 foot wide and 6 inches deep was about 1200 feet wide and 20 foot deep. You couldn't even see the pond dams they so far under water.
My pasture has sand bars in it things are really interesting I give that.
Farm help got two temporary water gaps up so I could move my cows .
Are we having fun yet Lord help us if something tropical comes in there won't be a tree standing in this thicket.

No trees does not make a thicket

Apparently you never been in the Big Thicket
One of the most biodiverse regions in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thicket

Your statement was the trees were going to be gone with a tropical system . If you don't have trees you don't have a thicket , So start pondering a new name Big LAKE, Big POND, Big Plains, Big Desert the choice is your according to the season. I recall a couple yrs ago when Those of east of the big river were drowning in water yall kept reminding us about the drought in 2011. We all have to adapt sometimes.

Caustic Burno":3e2nim6z said:
Going to talk to the preacher about we are putting too much in the plate as we have been well blessed with rain.
Might need to ask for forgiveness instead... With all that :bs: you talked about people getting flooded out back in March. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteppedInIt":18nzsirn said:
Caustic Burno":18nzsirn said:
Going to talk to the preacher about we are putting too much in the plate as we have been well blessed with rain.
Might need to ask for forgiveness instead... With all that :bs: you talked about people getting flooded out back in March. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not flooded out because I was smart enough not to build in the creek or river bottom. If you build in the bottom and you are not smart enough to put your house on pilings I don't have a lot of simpathy cause sooner or later it is going to flood some are just more biblical than others.
It looks pretty by the little creek until becomes a raging torrent.
My creek bottom didn't get 1200 feet wide by accident just like the Trinity river bottom at Dayton is eight miles wide for a reason.

M-5":36wd14v9 said:
Your statement was the trees were going to be gone with a tropical system . If you don't have trees you don't have a thicket , So start pondering a new name Big LAKE, Big POND, Big Plains, Big Desert the choice is your according to the season. I recall a couple yrs ago when Those of east of the big river were drowning in water yall kept reminding us about the drought in 2011. We all have to adapt sometimes.
The underbrush will just get thicker if it can.

Caustic Burno":3hkqqtyx said:
SteppedInIt":3hkqqtyx said:
Caustic Burno":3hkqqtyx said:
I am not flooded out because I was smart enough not to build in the creek or river bottom. If you build in the bottom and you are not smart enough to put your house on pilings I don't have a lot of simpathy cause sooner or later it is going to flood some are just more biblical than others.
It looks pretty by the little creek until becomes a raging torrent.
My creek bottom didn't get 1200 feet wide by accident just like the Trinity river bottom at Dayton is eight miles wide for a reason.
Don't get your blood pressure up. :lol: Heck with all this water I am thinking bout selling half my cattle, planting rice and start a crawfish farm in the back. :lol:

Im not way past that a couple months ago now I just laugh cause there won't be any use in lime or fertilize on the pasture this year.
Won't be able to get a truck in till August .
I am happy I was smart enough or just lucky not to stock this place back to capacity this spring with low price opportunity girls.
I have pasture never had a cow on it this year.
What I am sick of fixing is driveway if ever does dry up there is going to be many a load of iron ore hauled in to put it back together.

What I am sick of fixing is driveway if ever does dry up there is going to be many a load of iron ore hauled in to put it back together.

I had some scheduled to be delivered this morning--rained overnight, & I had to call at 7am and tell 'em to forget it.
Wife nearly got stuck going out to school this morning and again this afternoon. 10 years, that roadway has held up just fine, but we've never had it this wet for this long. :bang: :bang: :bang:

GB I would really like to lime rock it is just too cost prohibitive here.
Not having rail in the county or a quarry makes the freight crazy.
Lime rock is 800 for 12 tons iron ore is 150 dollars.

Caustic Burno":2lcyqsux said:
GB I would really like to lime rock it is just too cost prohibitive here.
Not having rail in the county or a quarry makes the freight crazy.
Lime rock is 800 for 12 tons iron ore is 150 dollars.

I haven't heard of anyone having iron ore here in years. It's pretty much all crushed limestone. I don't know how much it is, but I'm going to have to find out in a couple of weeks.

GB see we have about a four day break in the forecast before we go back to 80% chance for four to five days. I couldn't get a dump truck in for a week so it looks like the iron ore is going to be on hold for a couple weeks.

I had mine done before all of this hit. Crushed limestone. I was asking a guy for a bid on dump truck loads. He bid $4200 to do the entire driveway turn key. New 40 foot culvert too. My wallet screeched. Its done. Crowned. Held up under the rains. Almost 1/4 mile. He used some of my road material and capped it with the crushed limestone.

backhoeboogie":2771kq0b said:
I had mine done before all of this hit. Crushed limestone. I was asking a guy for a bid on dump truck loads. He bid $4200 to do the entire driveway turn key. New 40 foot culvert too. My wallet screeched. Its done. Crowned. Held up under the rains. Almost 1/4 mile. He used some of my road material and capped it with the crushed limestone.

Never guess it's raining its butt off here again.

Caustic Burno":3egazyuv said:
backhoeboogie":3egazyuv said:

Never guess it's raining its butt off here again.
Dang. We're in our 2nd day of sunshine. Was reading lake reports this morning and looks like every lake on the Brazos River is at or above flood level so I'm sure as soon as they can they'll be releasing a world of water to go downstream. Lake Livingston was just below flood level.

www.lakelevels.info

Rained here yesterday as well, and even tho it isn't raining right now, the skies still aren't clear. Humidity high and partly cloudy isn't going to dry anything out.

We've been blessed with sunshine for 4 days now. I no longer sink walking through the yard.

Latest posts