What a great day. NOT

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear about your loss, but when you farm (livestock or crops) death loss is a certainty.

Are you sure your calf froze to death and wasn't stillborn?

My neighbor runs 600 head. They check pastures 2-3 times a day for heifers and twice a day for older cows. He keeps his heifers in a pasture next to ours b/c he knows if we see one that is having problems we'll call or deal with it ourselves.

To Guru, I used all mature proven cows as recips, using unproven heifers seems not the best decision to me. Don't like having to pull calves either. Thanks everyone for your support with my loss.

Wick":2qkrl701 said:
Woke up this morning checked cows, found my first embryo calf dead. Guess it was born in the middle of the night and froze. What a way to start the day. NOT . That crap just be nice me off so bad. I don't see how these farmers who leave the cattle out with no shelter and don't bother checking on their cows at calving do it. I see cows calving in those condidtion all the time and cows/calves seem fine. I just don't understand it. My cows get real good hay, minerals, vacs, fresh water, and I keep close watch on them. Then this happens, $400 calf before its born and then the thing froze/died? There goes some profit. Dang it that stinks and makes for a lousy day. Just venting. :mad: :mad:
What type of cattle do you raise?

Latest posts