What a crock of shinola

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
Got my latest Hereford World today. Page after page of the worst looking cattle imaginable. Maybe every tenth page there was a decent looking cow or bull. Mostly just crap though. This breed has a lot of work to do.

WichitaLineMan":1he88apd said:
Got my latest Hereford World today. Page after page of the worst looking cattle imaginable. Maybe every tenth page there was a decent looking cow or bull. Mostly just crap though. This breed has a lot of work to do.
WLM-
What is your opinion as to the reason for this situation? Is it "Phenotype" only, or are the other factors with the cattle undesirable also? Factors such as Genotype of the individuals, Functional traits, or general condition of the cattle? I have not access of the issue, so I am seeking your input.

DOC HARRIS

This month's was a small issue and it didn't have a whole lot of pics in it. I liked the article about Tomas Toucedo, he's an older fellow from Iowa that is one of the hardest working men around. It had the annual report in it and the theme was "Perceptions" , changing perceptions, attitudes, and creating recognition of Herefords as efficiency experts. It is kind of the cheerleader issue, giving hope and excitement to breeders and growers.

There is definitely a number of "less than flattering" pictures interspersed throughout this particular issue!

But I found the piece written by Craig Huffhines to be a worthwhile read - "A New 'Space Race' in Cattle Genomics - Or Is It?" Particularly interesting were the AHA "Plans for remaining on the cutting edge" in the area of genomics.

I had started collecting some hair samples from some of my cattle earlier this year in the event I might need them in the future.

Huffhines' final paragraph:

"The Hereford breed is too valuable to be lost in corporate prioritization plans. The packing industry seems to have gone in this direction as its members all compete with one another to market black-hided cattle. I'm certain that the value of the Hereford breed within the industry is extremely bullish as scientists work to identify those traits that drive real profitability to the industry and as we get away from some of the single-trait selection the industry is enamored with today."

George

WichitaLineMan":1kwlq66v said:
Maybe every tenth page there was a decent looking cow or bull.

there was more than ten pages... I guess those guys trading dollars on polled show heifers just don't spend the dollars on advertising.

i used to look forward to the hereford journal - not much to look forward to anymore.

DOC HARRIS":3geoy9c0 said:
WichitaLineMan":3geoy9c0 said:
WLM-
What is your opinion as to the reason for this situation? Is it "Phenotype" only, or are the other factors with the cattle undesirable also? Factors such as Genotype of the individuals, Functional traits, or general condition of the cattle? I have not access of the issue, so I am seeking your input.

DOC HARRIS

Here's a good example of what WLM is probably referring to. This is just one example of what was advertised in the magazine. reed and genex are peddling semen on this dandy.
http://genex.crinet.com/addedattractions/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=90HP04633&lang=EN

Hereford76":15ykd8sm said:
DOC HARRIS":15ykd8sm said:
WichitaLineMan":15ykd8sm said:
WLM-

DOC HARRIS

Here's a good example of what WLM is probably referring to. This is just one example of what was advertised in the magazine. reed and genex are peddling semen on this dandy.
http://genex.crinet.com/addedattractions/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=90HP04633&lang=EN

That was one that stood out to me, also.

What was it that ad said? "You CAN have it all!"

I'm still looking for muscling, volume, and any visible indication of "easy fleshing" in this case! But he does have a great set of low accuracy (and thus unreliable) EPDs!

George

WichitaLineMan":1fc6oexk said:

Are you still a member?

I don't see much reason too throw a lot of stones at the Bennett bull. He is a little post legged, maybe a little softer topped that I would have liked, I would like to see a little more depth of rib, and I suspect his daughters will be too big and too hard doing for my particular taste. Cross him on Angus cows and I suspect the resulting progeny will perform real well in the feedlot. I don't know if there is such a thing as a 'terminal Hereford'; but he is getting there. Carefully mated to the right set of commercial cows, I think he will work for a lot of people.

Brandonm22":3fbu169o said:
I don't see much reason too throw a lot of stones at the Bennett bull. He is a little post legged, maybe a little softer topped that I would have liked, I would like to see a little more depth of rib, and I suspect his daughters will be too big and too hard doing for my particular taste. Cross him on Angus cows and I suspect the resulting progeny will perform real well in the feedlot. I don't know if there is such a thing as a 'terminal Hereford'; but he is getting there. Carefully mated to the right set of commercial cows, I think he will work for a lot of people.

I think he's pretty.

Brandonm22":39zs1354 said:

Linebred 774 and "terminal" don't belong in the same sentence.

KNERSIE":131b4poe said:

I see a yearling weight EPD of 104 and I start worrying about the size of the daughters.

There is genetic and phenotypic variation within the Hereford breed. I'd bet you could find what you are looking for, if you know where to look. Not every breeder advertises in the Hereford World.

Likewise, the same could be said for the other major beef breeds.

KNERSIE":kcspmd73 said:
Brandonm22":kcspmd73 said:

i think "terminal" when i think of simmental... i think semmintal when i think of 774... and i think very much "terminal" when i think of "linebred 774"

Hereford76":30gvpn97 said:
KNERSIE":30gvpn97 said:
Brandonm22":30gvpn97 said:

i think "terminal" when i think of simmental... i think semmintal when i think of 774... and i think very much "terminal" when i think of "linebred 774"
:nod: :nod: :nod:

fargus":2dhxbn9x said:
I think "terminal" when I think Charolais. I think momma cow when I think Simmental. When I saw that bull I thought moose.

a wise man told me titan's mother was part charolais but most people say simmental.

Most commercial breeders would define "terminal" as a bull for use in maximizing weaning/yearling weight and zero reatainage of daughters. That could fit some sires in most every breed.

The largest cow/calf operation in Florida has been using Angus bulls as a terminal cross on their herd. I'd bet most breeders wouldn't think of Angus as terminal.

On the other hand, there are some Simmentals today that will calve easy with acceptable growth, finish with good quality/yield grades and have daugthers one would want to keep for replacements. Those terms kind of sum up "maternal".

Latest posts