What’s wrong with this calf ?

Help Support CattleToday:

He seems a little better.
He's not growing very fast, still short and stocky and front legs/knees are jacked up

8-AC90-B0-E-C0-EC-40-C4-953-B-90-B88665-E724.jpg

BA5-FA732-40-C6-40-CE-B6-A2-D800-F568-E2-AB.jpg

Does't look like a dwarf at all. If he was, his cannon bones would be half as long as they are at this point. Is he over in his knees or walking on his tippy toes? He almost looks like an extreme case of contracted tendons, but I suspect is it just poor structure on his front third, that has been slowing him down and compromising his growth since birth...

As a calf he looked like a chronic, they sometimes don't show any other signs beside looking like crap. Use to get about 20 out of 1000 pigs that would be all runty, and look bad all the time, with long course hair, would call them knot heads. Antibiotics didn't do any good, nor giving them any special treatment. When the other pigs would be finished they would be 1/2 the size. Just takes them longer to get up to speed. Next years calf maybe just fine again.

sim.-ang.king said:
As a calf he looked like a chronic, they sometimes don't show any other signs beside looking like crap. Use to get about 20 out of 1000 pigs that would be all runty, and look bad all the time, with long course hair, would call them knot heads. Antibiotics didn't do any good, nor giving them any special treatment. When the other pigs would be finished they would be 1/2 the size. Just takes them longer to get up to speed. Next years calf maybe just fine again.
My friend raise a runt piglet bottle baby.. Looked normal, just grew slow.

I had a calf just like this last year. I don't have the greatest pic of him but this is him. I got him from a local rancher. He's 18 months in this pic and smaller than a 8 month old jersey calf I had at the time. He never grew much. Short stubby thick legs. No neck. Odd calf. Mine was a shorthorn. It was also an orphan and also only had one testical

Latest posts