What’s everyone using for minerals.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm in the process of finishing up the rest of our minerals that we have in stock.

We are switching from a brand called Rolf minerals which the mineral content is based on 2kg VS Balanz Mineral salts which the mineral content is based on 1kg. I'm basically doing this based on the fact that our calf's weaning weights are terrible IMO, the body condition in the lactating cows is horrible as well. Cattle are all grass fed.

My only concern Is that the higher concentration might be overkill what do you guys think? What are you guys using?

Common practice were the cattle are is that we add pure salt mixed to minerals based on a 1:1 ratio.

This is for a cow-calf operation.

Thanks in advance.
I think it depends on a number of factors dependant on where you are located, what is lacking in their feed, in the soil etc.

Where I am we have to make certain our minerals are high in magnesium and selenium. You might notice that if you buy a calcium supplement it usually comes as Cal-Mag. The reason this is is because of what is called nutrient lock out. If we are lacking in magnesium we have a hard time uptaking calcium. It is the same for your grass, and therefore the animals that eat it. It rains so much here and the soil is so acidic that without these supplements we could actually loose a cow when she calves because she dumps what calcium she has into her milk.

Your best bet is to talk to your local state university extension service to see what is needed for your particular environment.

Years ago I lost a cow figuring this out. It won't happen again let me tell you.

Salt from Utah is not all the same . Some comes from the great salt lake and some is mined under ground in central Utah
Totally different sources totally different chemically in its "natural form"

Salt from Utah is not all the same . Some comes from the great salt lake and some is mined under ground in central Utah
Totally different sources totally different chemically in its "natural form"
Seems like I got some ionized salt that was Natural. Seems like it was a shade of red. Is that possible?

Seems like I got some ionized salt that was Natural. Seems like it was a shade of red. Is that possible?
Redmond products, out of Utah. I think you mean iodized salt? the red in that salt is mostly iron oxide. we had a truckload of rocksalt from them years ago. a cousin went up and got it.

Last edited:
Yes it could be from either source. Redmond salt is mined underground and originated in the Jurassic and in its unrefined "natural " state usually has less contamination .
If it is mined from the great salt lake it is mined from the surface and is more likely to have undesirable contamination in it .

As natural as it gets sounds like. And idea what the cost per ton was?
I sure don't, sorry. I suspect it was less than local feed store stuff at the time as this cousin was always trying to find deals. pretty sure he split the load with other people as it seems like our pile couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 tons. I remember it sitting down by the waterlot where he kept his horses and we would go get a bunch of chunks in the pick up to distribute. had to do it by hand as a shovel wouldn't work and we live without tractors and such.

I sure don't, sorry. I suspect it was less than local feed store stuff at the time as this cousin was always trying to find deals. pretty sure he split the load with other people as it seems like our pile couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 tons. I remember it sitting down by the waterlot where he kept his horses and we would go get a bunch of chunks in the pick up to distribute. had to do it by hand as a shovel wouldn't work and we live without tractors and such.
Pretty.cool idea anyway

We used that stuff for a few years when I was a kid. A few neighbours would sign up for a truck load and we would hand bomb it off the truck at each stop. Seems like it was always damp.
I believe it was cheaper than feed store block salt, and cows liked it well enough.

Purina "wind and rain" free choice minerals. It's never done me wrong. They take it when needed. When the pastures are poor, they take more. Spring time they don't use much.

Latest posts