What’s everyone using for minerals.

Help Support CattleToday:

With free choice mineral cows have no way to self regulate there consumption it depends on palatablilty and the amount of salt in it.
In other words if it tastes good or has lower salt levels they will consume more.
Most regulate how much is consumed by the amount of salt they mix with it.
So on a mineral such as Vitafirm Conceptaid 10 that contains no salt how do the cattle regulate? I fed it for most of 2021 as my cattle ate less of it that the conceptaid 5 which contained 15% salt. I kept of loose salt with both minerals. The conceptaid 10 is a little cheaper per pound of mineral once you adjust for the salt content of the 5.

Mineral consumption is based on palatabilty and the palatability of other available feed that is available if salt is not added.
So it is all dependent on how good it tastes and if it tastes good enough Tri eat compared to what else is available

So on a mineral such as Vitafirm Conceptaid 10 that contains no salt how do the cattle regulate? I fed it for most of 2021 as my cattle ate less of it that the conceptaid 5 which contained 15% salt. I kept of loose salt with both minerals. The conceptaid 10 is a little cheaper per pound of mineral once you adjust for the salt content of the 5.
The "10" appears to have quite a bit of monocalcium phosphate in it ~47% which will regulate intake to some extent, ~30-36% ddg's which will drive intake, ~7.5% calcium carbonate which is fairly neutral for intake, ~5.4% magnesium oxide which tastes bad to cattle, ~4% potassium chloride which is similar to "salt (NaCl)", some of the other ingredients likely increase intake also. So when you add the increases to decreases, and if cattle need phosphorus they will eat it, all together you end up with consumption.

Nutritionist told me that putting out mineral on the range was usually unnecessary, for a couple of reasons but the big one was that a cow will store a certain amount of mineral from her winter mineral program to get her through the grazing season, and a good portion of the grazing season isn't normally very deficient.
The problem with that is...when you put it out in the winter, they will over-consume it and it takes as much mineral doing it that way as it does putting it out year-round. Calves sure eat our mineral during summer and it helps them digest forage which puts on weight.

The "10" appears to have quite a bit of monocalcium phosphate in it ~47% which will regulate intake to some extent, ~30-36% ddg's which will drive intake, ~7.5% calcium carbonate which is fairly neutral for intake, ~5.4% magnesium oxide which tastes bad to cattle, ~4% potassium chloride which is similar to "salt (NaCl)",
Potassium chloride is a salt.
One thing that many don't consider is the effect a mineral deficit will have not only on the health of the calves but also the effect of a mineral deficit will have on the efficacy of vaccines given .

The problem with that is...when you put it out in the winter, they will over-consume it and it takes as much mineral doing it that way as it does putting it out year-round. Calves sure eat our mineral during summer and it helps them digest forage which puts on weight.
Well, I think I have shown that putting on weight is not an issue here….

I use Right Now cargill Mineral, consumption is good compared to other brands. Some of the brands used across the line are not available here, IGR mineral additive has only been available here for a few years.

Potassium chloride is a salt.
One thing that many don't consider is the effect a mineral deficit will have not only on the health of the calves but also the effect of a mineral deficit will have on the efficacy of vaccines given .
I know it's a salt, but they don't included it in labeled salt content, that is reserved for NaCl .

B23> 'Right now I don't know what or who is eating what" This may be the case for most of the industry. Most of us buy locally from a
limited selection of availability. At this point I do not know if there is a brand to brand comparison of all (or even the top 10) selling brands.
(yes the 10 was a unilateral choice). From what I can determine on average it will run about a tub and a half per year per cow. (ymmv)
Locally (here) good quality tubs are running a little over $100 (and going up) This would relate to a cost per animal of around $150.
Averages work on paper but in the real world it is more than likely that a small percentage of your cows will consume most of your mineral.
Knowing this we are compelled to keep a tub in front of them to insure intake by the marginal users. No doubt there will be a
'4 color brochure producer' who will come along with the answer. . My plan is to contact the State Research Farm and see if there is data
on using limited availability. I am thinking about making it availability every other day and use a game camera to determine who is
dining at the Ritz and who is a 'lick and go' worker. That does not answer the question but merely confirms the question. Good Luck

B23> 'Right now I don't know what or who is eating what" This may be the case for most of the industry. Most of us buy locally from a
limited selection of availability. At this point I do not know if there is a brand to brand comparison of all (or even the top 10) selling brands.
(yes the 10 was a unilateral choice). From what I can determine on average it will run about a tub and a half per year per cow. (ymmv)
Locally (here) good quality tubs are running a little over $100 (and going up) This would relate to a cost per animal of around $150.
Averages work on paper but in the real world it is more than likely that a small percentage of your cows will consume most of your mineral.
Knowing this we are compelled to keep a tub in front of them to insure intake by the marginal users. No doubt there will be a
'4 color brochure producer' who will come along with the answer. . My plan is to contact the State Research Farm and see if there is data
on using limited availability. I am thinking about making it availability every other day and use a game camera to determine who is
dining at the Ritz and who is a 'lick and go' worker. That does not answer the question but merely confirms the question. Good Luck

That is a really good idea. I'm going to do the same. It would be interesting to compare results.

Well, I think I have shown that putting on weight is not an issue here….
Kinda like having too much money or too much fun. Can calves weigh too much under the same conditions? I'd like to show you the testimonials and trials we have done, wet years and dry years, and put 30# on calves the first year mineral was used year-round, plus increased herd health and conception rates.

Kinda like having too much money or too much fun. Can calves weigh too much under the same conditions? I'd like to show you the testimonials and trials we have done, wet years and dry years, and put 30# on calves the first year mineral was used year-round, plus increased herd health and conception rates.
I have read lots of testimonials were minerals have turned peoples programs around. There is no doubt that there are places it makes a huge difference.
I sat with a nutritionist who was not a salesman and we had a good discussion. I told him my numbers for breed up, sickness, stillborn and abortions, weaning weights, etc. In the end he thought a mineral program might pay back over the long haul, but he really wasn't sure in what areas because we are already far better than industry average.
What sticks in my mind the most though was a lack of need for mineral on when cows are on the range. Too much area, no way to ensure relatively even consumption (or consumption at all), good nutrition in growing forages, the fact cows store many nutrients from winter a winter mineral program (200 day plus here). And as Greek mentioned, can't hardly get them to eat it.
It's fine and good to tell someone about the benefits of mineral, but if you don't know the intimate details of their soil and feed analysis and/ or health and productivity stats it's all just conjecture at best.

Hel
The "10" appears to have quite a bit of monocalcium phosphate in it ~47% which will regulate intake to some extent, ~30-36% ddg's which will drive intake, ~7.5% calcium carbonate which is fairly neutral for intake, ~5.4% magnesium oxide which tastes bad to cattle, ~4% potassium chloride which is similar to "salt (NaCl)", some of the other ingredients likely increase intake also. So when you add the increases to decreases, and if cattle need phosphorus they will eat it, all together you end up with consumption.
p me understand where you found these percentages you are using. Thanks.

Sa
With free choice mineral cows have no way to self regulate there consumption it depends on palatablilty and the amount of salt in it.
In other words if it tastes good or has lower salt levels they will consume more.
Most regulate how much is consumed by the amount of salt they mix with it.
Salt is not included to limit consumption so much as to encourage consumption.

Latest posts