What’s everyone using for minerals.

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing up the rest of our minerals that we have in stock.

We are switching from a brand called Rolf minerals which the mineral content is based on 2kg VS Balanz Mineral salts which the mineral content is based on 1kg. I'm basically doing this based on the fact that our calf's weaning weights are terrible IMO, the body condition in the lactating cows is horrible as well. Cattle are all grass fed.

My only concern Is that the higher concentration might be overkill what do you guys think? What are you guys using?

Common practice were the cattle are is that we add pure salt mixed to minerals based on a 1:1 ratio.

This is for a cow-calf operation.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E00DEC73-E917-4D1E-8B9B-AEDD0525527C.jpeg
    E00DEC73-E917-4D1E-8B9B-AEDD0525527C.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 1E089DAD-3FDE-4A5D-B38B-A092FADD6DC7.png
    1E089DAD-3FDE-4A5D-B38B-A092FADD6DC7.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 35
From the research I have done on minerals, it is important to make sure that your minerals are "chelated". I work at a feed store and I actually called one of my reps from a local milling company to learn more about chelated minerals. This is the nutrition fact sheet for our local company that mills loose minerals with chelates.

I did however find that mr cattle didn't really like it much… it seems to have been sitting in their mineral feeder for quite some time now. Just purchased a bag of Purina minerals because I thought why not. We will see if they like it better. I also supply blocked salt too for those that want it (although I know they can't get enough nutrition from blocks alone - some of my cows enjoy the blocks too!)

The number one thing we feed for mineral is alfalfa hay. We also use an occasional salt block.
To me feeding loose minerals is like lighting your money on fire . Most of loose mineral isn't absorbed by cattle and what is takes to long to get their levels where they need to be .
We also use multimin90

He lives in NY but his farm is in Guatemala.

Although there are national brands (talking about the US here), a lot of cattle minerals are based on local availability.

. . . and formulated for local conditions. That's why a mix that works well in one part of the country may not work in another one.

. . . and formulated for local conditions. That's why a mix that works well in one part of the country may not work in another one.
The plants in your pasture and how you fertilize also matters. It's best to have a custom mix if you can. I use a small concrete mixer to mix my own. I find that I can get a lot more bang for my buck and can very my mix throughout the season; adjusting magnesium, vitamins, and potassium etc. as my pasture conditions change.

with free choice mineral will a cow over indulge? I have cows, heifers and calves in the same winter pasture and it doesn't appear they are using the mineral blocks i have at the feeder.

The number one thing we feed for mineral is alfalfa hay. We also use an occasional salt block.
To me feeding loose minerals is like lighting your money on fire . Most of loose mineral isn't absorbed by cattle and what is takes to long to get their levels where they need to be .
We also use multimin90
RMC from alfalfa alone you'll usually get a decent "dose" of calcium and all the other minerals will literally be traces of each. Grass hay will do the same thing. Use a high quality mineral with chelated Zinc, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt as amino acid complexes and I assure you they will absorb it.

RMC from alfalfa alone you'll usually get a decent "dose" of calcium and all the other minerals will literally be traces of each. Grass hay will do the same thing.
Not even close to the same minerals in grass hay compared to alfalfa

RMC from alfalfa alone you'll usually get a decent "dose" of calcium and all the other minerals will literally be traces of each. Grass hay will do the same thing. Use
University of Nevada and tons of research disagree

Alfalfa as a Source of Minerals and Vitamins

Alfalfa can provide most minerals and vitamins at less cost than if they were supplied from other processed sources.

Minerals

If one pound of alfalfa hay is fed per 100 pounds of "bodyweight", the beef animal will normally meet its daily requirements for calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, iron, cobalt manganese and zinc. Phosphorus levels of alfalfa are more moderate, but are still high enough that, if fed at the above rates, will supply about two-thirds of the daily requirements needed. The high level of calcium in alfalfa is especially important for lactating cows, young developing replacement heifers and bulls. However, the mineral content of alfalfa is related to fertilization and local soils. Hay quality tests are required to determine the actual amount of minerals in a given lot of hay. Beef cattle, fed alfalfa hay during the winter, are less likely than those fed grass hay to get grass tetany or hypomagnesemia tetany at turn out time. The elevated magnesium levels of alfalfa seem to curb the problem.

Vitamins

Leafy, green alfalfa hay is unusually high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. Vitamin A is the most common beef cow vitamin deficiency. Good quality alfalfa hay can usually furnish all the vitamin A needs of beef animals. In addition to the many dietary functions of vitamin A, this vitamin may also have some therapeutic value, and it may be a contributing factor in preventing "shipping fever complex" and other disorders associated with animal stress. Because vitamin A will leach out of hays stored over extended periods of time, freshly harvested alfalfa is usually the best source of vitamin A.

Vitamin/Mineral interactions

Alfalfa is usually a good source of vitamin E and selenium, depending on the nutrient status of the soil on which the hay was grown. "White muscle disease," which sometimes causes serious losses of calves, is caused by a deficiency of vitamin E and selenium. Sun-cured alfalfa hay is also a source of vitamins D and K as well as riboflavin and niacin.

With free choice mineral cows have no way to self regulate there consumption it depends on palatablilty and the amount of salt in it.
In other words if it tastes good or has lower salt levels they will consume more.
Most regulate how much is consumed by the amount of salt they mix with it.

Free choice, they eat their heads off in winter and won't touch in summer. We mix 50 lbs of salt with 50 lbs of mineral to keep them where they need be. They will use a lot of cobalt salt in summer.

Trace mineral salt blocks are not worth the extra $3 they want for them by the ton. Trace means exactly that.
9181FF64-41F9-4800-862A-C18ACA0131F1.jpeg

Free choice, they eat their heads off in winter and won't touch in summer.
Nutritionist told me that putting out mineral on the range was usually unnecessary, for a couple of reasons but the big one was that a cow will store a certain amount of mineral from her winter mineral program to get her through the grazing season, and a good portion of the grazing season isn't normally very deficient.

I feed Purina Wind & Rain mineral. With Altosid during the summer. My cattle consume some mineral during the summer. However, nothing like they have been eating it the last few weeks this winter. Seems to be some ring worm going through the cattle. Ring worm seems to be a problem for my cattle coming off summer pasture.