What’s a good inexpensive rifle for coyotes?

Help Support CattleToday:

Salvage gives you a lot of bang for the buck, out of the box they are pretty accurate. I have a Salvage Edge in .308 as salvage had to change the name to Axis because of Copyright infringement. It shoots better than a lot of more expensive guns. It is lite to handle, so it delivers a pretty good kick.

Hi point is a very cheap firearm, both handgun and carbine. I bought a 9mm several years ago, and it seems just fine. I keep it hidden in a wall in my garage, in case I come home to other type of predators. However, that has nothing to do with shooting a coyote. I leave them be, because I've never had a problem or lost a calf to one. I like having a few coyotes around, actually, because they seem like a benign predator on a cattle ranch, and we have prairie dogs, an occasional infestation of rabbits, and a few ground squirrels. The coyotes seem to prefer those. If I was shooting coyotes (like some of my neighbors who run sheep, where they can be a problem) I have a large arsenal of weapons, and I would probably pick an AR15 with a good scope, or possibly a mini 14 or mini 30, also with a good scope. I have an underfolder AK that is also pretty deadly. To reply to this post, I would prefer a rifle cartridge as opposed to a pistol cartridge for a coyote. Hope that helps.
Thanks for straighten me out.
But for now under 500 yards I'll stick with my Beretta minx in 22 shortKIMG1228.JPG

I thought there were laws against such horribly inhumane treatment of animals. What is the scientific name for buzzards that deserves such despicable treatment and what do they do to in your opinion deserve such treatment? The birds called buzzards where I live are Turkey Vultures and they don't do anything except clean up dead carcasses. That significantly helps keep diseases from spreading and they eat the carcasses so fast that the carcass doesn't get a chance to rot and stink.

I grew up on a cattle ranch and in the 20 some years that I lived on that ranch, the coyotes hunted mice, voles and ground squirrels right in among the cows and calves, but we never lost a single calf to coyotes, not one.
The horribly inhumane treatment is when a gang of these Mexican buzzards eat the eyes out of a calf as it is being born and eat the rear end of the cow out while she is giving birth. And form a circle around a new born calf and wear the cow out as she tries to fend them off her newborn calf - overwhelmed and out of breath trying to protect her calf from a dozen of these devils. They are very brave, not afraid of man or animal. They may decide to all perch on the roof of your house. They are killers, not just scavengers. They are despicable and deserve death. These are not your grandfather's buzzards.

The horribly inhumane treatment is when a gang of these Mexican buzzards eat the eyes out of a calf as it is being born and eat the rear end of the cow out while she is giving birth. And form a circle around a new born calf and wear the cow out as she tries to fend them off her newborn calf - overwhelmed and out of breath trying to protect her calf from a dozen of these devils. They are very brave, not afraid of man or animal. They may decide to all perch on the roof of your house. They are killers, not just scavengers. They are despicable and deserve death. These are not your grandfather's buzzards.
Appreciate this getting explained, the buzzards in my area are harmless. Ravens/crows occasionally will do damage like you are speaking of to ewes that are lambing.

Yeah, what he said.

May as well get a 9mm hi-point carbine....
😂🤣😆🤣

But seriously. About anything in 22 hornet (usually not cheap) up to 22-250 .
A fast twist 22-250 turned up with light bullets can flip a yote like no other!

Find a good ol used savage 110
Used to be 300 or so. Good ol rifles!
In a newer flavor, nothing wrong with a mossberg for your intents.

I had a 995 for a while. It would lob FMJs into a 10" circle at 200+ yards and I never had a malfunction out of it. They aren't all that pretty, but that thing was a lot of fun to shoot.

We are getting those Black headed Buzzards here in Central OK. I had an Angus cow have a calf the other day and the entire herd circled around her while she was having it. My oldest Longhorn came up to watch over her, and then the Bull and the rest of the herd "Circled the Wagons" It was really amazing.

I had a 995 for a while. It would lob FMJs into a 10" circle at 200+ yards and I never had a malfunction out of it. They aren't all that pretty, but that thing was a lot of fun to shoot.
I found a Saiga 12ga at an auction. No one else wanted it, so I got it cheap thank to Obummer. I put a 4-12 scope, green laser and 1500 lumen light on it. Adjustable recoil with slugs out to about 100 yds, 00 Buck out to 60yds . Scope set to 3in drop at 100 yds w/ slugs.. Buzzard with 00Buck at 40 yds leaves a lot of feathers.... State lets us shoot 5 per permit...Permit is free. I prefer the 3S permit.

Lots of accurate rifles that teysil for about 400. I'd get something in .204 ruger. Shoots flat and bucks the wind better than .223

No discussion because apparently Fungus didn't run with the ball......................

Latest posts