What’s a good inexpensive rifle for coyotes?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Savage Axis in 22-250 with a 4X12 Leopold scope on it. That is my coyote hunting rifle. My behind the seat in the pickup rifle is a Rossi single shot break action 223 with a cheap 3x9 scope. Both will kill any coyote. The 22-250 has a bit more reach. I had a Ruger Mini 14 in 223. It killed a few coyotes. It wasn't the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. But with a 20 round mag if you missed the first shot you could find out how many gears that coyote could grab with the next 19 shots.
But frankly I have killed hundreds more with a little old H&R 9 shot 22 revolver. But they had a #3 Victor trap on a front paw.

Last edited:
I reckon what I was trying to say was something akin to I don't have to have the Cadillac of guns, when all I need is a Chevrolet.
May as well get a 9mm hi-point carbine....
😂🤣😆🤣

But seriously. About anything in 22 hornet (usually not cheap) up to 22-250 .
A fast twist 22-250 turned up with light bullets can flip a yote like no other!

Find a good ol used savage 110
Used to be 300 or so. Good ol rifles!
In a newer flavor, nothing wrong with a mossberg for your intents.

May as well get a 9mm hi-point carbine....
😂🤣😆🤣

But seriously. About anything in 22 hornet (usually not cheap) up to 22-250 .
A fast twist 22-250 turned up with light bullets can flip a yote like no other!

Find a good ol used savage 110
Used to be 300 or so. Good ol rifles!
In a newer flavor, nothing wrong with a mossberg for your intents.
Hi point catches alot of crap ..
I've got a hipoint carbine in 45 ACP somewhere in my safe that I bought from a employee that needed to sell some stuff. As long as you feed it hardball in the standard magazine it's as dependable as anything. It does not like the extended magazine.

It depends on your circumstances. If you want to reduce noise, a .17 can be deadly on a coyote out to 100 yards. If noise is not an issue I would look at a .223 probably in a New England handi rifle. It's single shot and cheap and accurate. If I wanted a combo rifle, as stated above, a model 700 in .243 is about the best option for cost and versitility.
There are a lot of factors, and for me I normally just let the coyotes pass on through because they don't cause me any problems. I save my ammo for the black vultures! They are a problem.

We snare them and dispatch them as soon as we discover the catch. I can't condone the use of baited treble hooks. Pretty cruel even for a Yote, a buzzard on the other hand...well...all's fair in love and war with those varmints.
I thought there were laws against such horribly inhumane treatment of animals. What is the scientific name for buzzards that deserves such despicable treatment and what do they do to in your opinion deserve such treatment? The birds called buzzards where I live are Turkey Vultures and they don't do anything except clean up dead carcasses. That significantly helps keep diseases from spreading and they eat the carcasses so fast that the carcass doesn't get a chance to rot and stink.

I grew up on a cattle ranch and in the 20 some years that I lived on that ranch, the coyotes hunted mice, voles and ground squirrels right in among the cows and calves, but we never lost a single calf to coyotes, not one.

Last edited:
Hi point catches alot of crap ..
I've got a hipoint carbine in 45 ACP somewhere in my safe that I bought from a employee that needed to sell some stuff. As long as you feed it hardball in the standard magazine it's as dependable as anything. It does not like the extended magazine.
Hi point is a very cheap firearm, both handgun and carbine. I bought a 9mm several years ago, and it seems just fine. I keep it hidden in a wall in my garage, in case I come home to other type of predators. However, that has nothing to do with shooting a coyote. I leave them be, because I've never had a problem or lost a calf to one. I like having a few coyotes around, actually, because they seem like a benign predator on a cattle ranch, and we have prairie dogs, an occasional infestation of rabbits, and a few ground squirrels. The coyotes seem to prefer those. If I was shooting coyotes (like some of my neighbors who run sheep, where they can be a problem) I have a large arsenal of weapons, and I would probably pick an AR15 with a good scope, or possibly a mini 14 or mini 30, also with a good scope. I have an underfolder AK that is also pretty deadly. To reply to this post, I would prefer a rifle cartridge as opposed to a pistol cartridge for a coyote. Hope that helps.

I thought there were laws against such horribly inhumane treatment of animals. What is the scientific name for buzzards that deserves such despicable treatment and what do they do to in your opinion deserve such treatment? The birds called buzzards where I live are Turkey Vultures and they don't do anything except clean up dead carcasses. That significantly helps keep diseases from spreading and they eat the carcasses so fast that the carcass doesn't get a chance to rot and stink.

I grew up on a cattle ranch and in the 20 some years that I lived on that ranch, the coyotes hunted mice, voles and ground squirrels right in among the cows and calves, but we never lost a single calf to coyotes, not one.
The black headed buzzards are as much or more predatory as they are scavengers. They have overtaken the turkey vultures in number in a lot of places. They are here year round and are a constant threat to newborns and cows calving. They have cost and continue to cost cattle and livestock producers a lot of lost income. They should not be a protected species.
Coyotes are not the cute harmless to livestock mouse catchers that a lot of folks say. They are opportunistic and determined predators that if they can will reek havoc on young calves, all sizes of sheep and goats.

The black headed buzzards are as much or more predatory as they are scavengers. They have overtaken the turkey vultures in number in a lot of places. They are here year round and are a constant threat to newborns and cows calving. They have cost and continue to cost cattle and livestock producers a lot of lost income. They should not be a protected species.
Coyotes are not the cute harmless to livestock mouse catchers that a lot of folks say. They are opportunistic and determined predators that if they can will reek havoc on young calves, all sizes of sheep and goats.
I honestly don't mind the coyotes based on what I've seen out of them on our place thus far. If I sense a change I'll adjust my attitude accordingly. Like I said, my farm manager can't stand them because of the damage they do to his baby turkeys and rabbits.

Not for coyotes but I do have a Flat top HP 9mm with an extended mag for a bedroom gun.
It will spit lead like shelled corn through a goose. Keep it on magnet fastened on the side of the head board.
If you have to ask, Yes I would...... Actually coyotes never bothered me, I just know how to take them out
if the need arises...

I honestly don't mind the coyotes based on what I've seen out of them on our place thus far. If I sense a change I'll adjust my attitude accordingly. Like I said, my farm manager can't stand them because of the damage they do to his baby turkeys and rabbits.
It comes and goes with coyotes, I figure it has a lot to do with their preferred food supply. If there usual small easy to catch prey is plentiful then they may not be as much of a threat to calves. Haven't lost any calves to them for 2-3 years but in the times when they are a problem I have noticed an uptick in their activity both night and day and close proximity to cattle. Which is why I'm getting concerned about them again.

A 243 will kill coyotes all day long, and it's a good deer rifle, too. Consider it off season practice.

Or a 223 get more ammo options with the 223. Savage axis shoots good like a Cadillac. You would swear it was a higher priced gun. Comes in .223 .243 .270 probably other calibers. You can build an AR platform these days for cheap.

Savage Axis II XP 223 Rem Bolt-Action Rifle with 4-12x40mm Scope and Threaded Barrel
Item Number: 22133 /

Or a 223 get more ammo options with the 223. Savage axis shoots good like a Cadillac. You would swear it was a higher priced gun. Comes in .223 .243 .270 probably other calibers. You can build an AR platform these days for cheap.

Savage Axis II XP 223 Rem Bolt-Action Rifle with 4-12x40mm Scope and Threaded Barrel
Item Number: 22133 /
Look at you Annie Oakley.

Latest posts