Whadda ya think about this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

OK Jeanne

Reaction score
Very handsome; terrific hindquarter - Kersie is a hereford expert here, but he looks good to me.

OK Jeanne":1utrx5l1 said:
Very handsome; terrific hindquarter - Kersie is a hereford expert here, but he looks good to me.
hard to believe he could find much wrong with him....other then his paper work

Is that Ulrich breeding?

He's a fine specimen, might be a little shortcoupled for modern day standards, but his depth and capacity more than makes up for it.

sooknortex":o5gfqquw said:
stanmore.jpg

I think this is a great bull, he must be many years old?

Phenotypically OUTSTANDING BEEF bull. I would prefer his being slightly longer bodied, but his depth and thickness compensate in considering capacity. His dam appears to justify the bull's characteristics. Hereford breeder's could bring their breed BACK into great prominance concentrating on seedstock such as this bull represents.

DOC HARRIS

Does anyone know the hip height of him or his sire?

Phenotypically he is pleasing to the eye but I'm a bit concerned about the mature size of his offspring. As I think Herefords role in the cattle business is more the maternal end I'd have to see a dam and some daughter pictures working in conditions that are close to a commercial outfits before I'd jump on the bandwagon to use the bull. The Hereford breed has lost market share to Angus for years up here but they've always had bulls that took a good picture.

Northern Rancher":2oimluxd said:
Phenotypically he is pleasing to the eye but I'm a bit concerned about the mature size of his offspring. As I think Herefords role in the cattle business is more the maternal end I'd have to see a dam and some daughter pictures working in conditions that are close to a commercial outfits before I'd jump on the bandwagon to use the bull. The Hereford breed has lost market share to Angus for years up here but they've always had bulls that took a good picture.

Why do you think Canadian Herefords have lost market shoare to Angus?

Northern Rancher":26nkg7x1 said:

I don't know anything about this bull, but traditionally the Ulrich cattle was very good, but they were huge. What they have achieved where the rest failed is they managed to retain balance and volume in their frame 8 and 9 cattle.

I'd take a very close look at the performance pedigrees of him and his ancestors before using him widely, but as a tool on the right kind of cow he probably has a role to play.

Several things-birthweight-soundness-mature size-total ignoring the commercial A'I side of the business. I've sold semen up here for years-the company would bring us a frame 9 monster with a bad uddered dam priced at $75 a pop to sell. We could take some of the top Angus bulls and sell them by the gallon at $25. Basically I think they tried to compete with Simnmentals for growth and sacrificed calving ease etc to do it. People tried a black bull and found life got easier and never went back-now that Angus is becoming such number chasers people are starting to come back to Hereford to cross on their black cattle but they have to be right. The first spoiled udder,prolapse or huge calf and it will back to Angus. Unfortunately the right kind of cow to use a frame 8 or 9 bull is no longer with us in any kind of number.I've had several attempts to include Herefords in my program-my first A'I bull was Titan 7777 from ABS-for a Simmental bull he wasn't too bad. Bought some bulls that disappointed from pretty prominent breeders that found a herd that runs cattle the way I like. So far the Lad bull looks like he'll compliment our black cows well-he's probably what we'll stick with for quite awhile. The bull pictured is only 80 miles from us.

That's interesting. I've heard the same thing from some producers buying Angus bulls from us: that they'd like to keep some Hereford influence in their herd, but they just can't find Hereford bulls they want. On the other hand, they don't seem to be willing to pay as much money for a Hereford bull as an Angus bull. :?

This discussion impresses on my thinking that the experienced breeders understand that the seedstock with lower Frame Score numbers than FS 7 or FS 8 or more will realize a higher overall PROFIT than the 'draft horses' that some breeders think is optimal. The bottom line at the end of the year, and the balance in the bank account has a very strong pull toward influencing the thinking of Profit-minded ranchers. It is unfortunate that the same old mantra of "...I am breeding pounds because that is what the buyer pays for..." is beyond the logical thinking of an astute business-minded rancher! PROFIT is in the pocket of the Rancher who looks at ALL aspects of the Beef Business.

DOC HARRIS

greenwillowhereford II":1hshfnxz said:
Top 5% phenotypically, and longer than he looks IMO, because if you take three or four inches of depth off him, he'd look longer.

I was going to make that same comment. I think he actually is longer than the pictures shows because of his depth. Old cow is going to be saying hurry up you're heavy :cboy:

Jeff

Hes a large, fleshy, fat bull and everybody thinks hes great. :D ME TOO! :nod:

We were told about this website by a friend and were very happy and honoured to see the positive comments and interest being expressed about our 47R bull being discussed in this topic. Its great to see forums like this that allow the discussion of our industry. 47R is currently an active herdbull on our farm and we have our first daughters of his calving at this point and we also have offspring on the ground. If anybody would like more information on this bull or his offspring feel free to take a look at our website http://www.biggullyfarm.com or contact us at [email protected]. Thanks again for all the great comments!

Latest posts