Wet Year

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
We are about to drown here, haven't got one bale of hay yet. Lost two cut fields to rain. Wettest year I have ever seen this is going to be an interesting year. 2000 drought in reverse.

Campground Cattle":7jio913a said:
We are about to drown here, haven't got one bale of hay yet. Lost two cut fields to rain. Wettest year I have ever seen this is going to be an interesting year. 2000 drought in reverse.
Maybe time for us to look at some "Haylage Equipment"!!!

shhhhh!!! you might scare the rain away. :lol:

we've had quite a bit of rain this direction, too. more rain tonight. luckily we were able to make a first cutting & get in & fertilize between the rains. as soon as it dries off we'll get in & cut again.

i'll take too much rain over too little almost any day.

No joke I still can't dive a tractor across the pasture its so wet. Water is running out of the sides of the hills. You can totally forget the pasture in the creek bottoms.

Same thing way north of you too- We've had one of the wettest years ever- Pasture area has had over 10 inches of rain already this year and our average yearly total is 10.5 inches. Corrals are flooded- hayfields look beautiful- pastures have grass growing everywhere- creeks running so high I still can't fix the fences that were taken out by the winter snow drifts- waterholes all full- springs all running water- month behind on branding because I can't even get across the creek or into the corrals- months behind on working colts--drought may be broken----LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Amazing...only 10.5 inches per year? I can remember just a summer or two ago we got 24 inches in the month of June. Out of the ordinary but still no record rainfall. LA4 are you getting hammered from that system rolling off of the Gulf?

My rain gauge holds 6 inches and it was over flowing last Wednesday....then we got more rain Fri night and then again Sat night also! I finally broke down and brush hogged where I could last night...left the grass where there was standing water. And we have more rain predicted for this afternoon and all day tomorrow!

txag":huu34jga said:

we've had quite a bit of rain this direction, too. more rain tonight. luckily we were able to make a first cutting & get in & fertilize between the rains. as soon as it dries off we'll get in & cut again.

All right Txag enough is enough we are drowning in this crap coming in off the Gulf. It' pouring down right now. Last time I checked we were up 16 inches for the year, and we average 40 inches in a normal year. It' time for this to stop until August when we'll need it.

Campground Cattle":n5wx73tk said:
txag":n5wx73tk said:

All right Txag enough is enough we are drowning in this be nice coming in off the Gulf. It' pouring down right now. Last time I checked we were up 16 inches for the year, and we average 40 inches in a normal year. It' time for this to stop until August when we'll need it.
I didn't realize that you got so little rain. Only 140 miles distance from your place to mine and our average rainfall is 79 + inches. Last coupla years we have had 81 and 82 inches +.

la4angus":uguly50c said:
Campground Cattle":uguly50c said:
txag":uguly50c said:

All right Txag enough is enough we are drowning in this be nice coming in off the Gulf. It' pouring down right now. Last time I checked we were up 16 inches for the year, and we average 40 inches in a normal year. It' time for this to stop until August when we'll need it.
I didn't realize that you got so little rain. Only 140 miles distance from your place to mine and our average rainfall is 79 + inches. Last coupla years we have had 81 and 82 inches +.

We average 40 to 50 inches a year in Tyler county, funny what a difference a few miles make.

Campground Cattle":3nput6qq said:
All right Txag enough is enough we are drowning in this be nice coming in off the Gulf. It' pouring down right now.

it's not raining here right now but it's dark outside & thunder & lightning in every direction & we're under a flash flood warning.

glad i'm not at work today.....looks like they're getting hammered, too. one of the guys was planning to head straight out to the bay at shift change this morning to try to do a little fishing. i would guess they didn't even put the boat out.

A bit of the same problem here with hay making Campground. I don't make my own, but just about every time the custom hay guy gets ready to come over it rains again. First cut should have been done weeks ago. I can empathize about the lost cuttings --- I lost one cutting in 2002 and again in 2003 where the hay was cut and just about dry enough, and then rains came day after day until it was a lost cause.

The poor custom hay makers must really catch a lot of verbal flack --- all their customers want to be first in line when the hay fields are dry enough, and then if the cut hay gets rained on they often get blamed for not being more timely!

I drove up to Flower Mound, Tx. (north of Dallas) from Houston about 10 days ago on I-45 from and saw many Coastal-Jiggs-Tifton hay fields that looked beautifully green and tall. And not a huisache in sight, something I can only dream about! Much of the countryside was more lush at this time of year than I can remember it being in a long, long time. But north of Corsicana it seemed to be noticeably more dry and of course the mesquite starts to get pretty thick around there.

Started raining here again this morning at 4:00 am. Never thought I would be standing in the middle of my hayfield planning a drainage system.

Campground Cattle":bui85eo6 said:
Started raining here again this morning at 4:00 am. Never thought I would be standing in the middle of my hayfield planning a drainage system.

At least you're getting enough, maybe too much, to do some good. When we had the hay down we got about 1/10 each day. Just enough to keep from being able to bale it. We have more to cut but they keep talking about the same kind of deal for the rest of the week. Looks like we'll be baling straw again this year. At least the endophyte level will be down, no seeds.

dun

Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good rain. We have been getting pounded by inches everyday. Its actually starting to hurt my grass as my pastures haven't dried out in months.

Campground Cattle":2bgsxjtj said:
Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good rain. We have been getting pounded by inches everyday. Its actually starting to hurt my grass as my pastures haven't dried out in months.

That's the way it was here last year. I whined about the mud. Two weeks without a drop of rain and it's hard and dry and the grass burns up. This was a perfect spring for growing hay, just couldn't get it baled.

dun

You could send a day of rain my way. It is starting to get a little dry here and the weather man has been promising rain and t storms for 3 days now and nothing.

PATB":1saqol8f said:
You could send a day of rain my way. It is starting to get a little dry here and the weather man has been promising rain and t storms for 3 days now and nothing.

Be happy to got another 2 1/2 inches this morning

Campground Cattle":39q3fjr6 said:
PATB":39q3fjr6 said:

Be happy to got another 2 1/2 inches this morning

So far we have gotten only 2 inches since 5 AM today

Latest posts