Wet Ryegrass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Z

Reaction score
So, me and my buddy make a sweet deal on 100 bales of Ryegrass hay. Only problem is, we ain't able to get it moved for a few days. Well, it's rains...8 inches so far. It's been drying out for the last 3-4 days but is pretty warm internally ...got some mold starting. What kind of mess do I have here? Won't most of this hay be okay? I'm bringing it over to my place today but am afraid to put it up. Plan to just let it continue to sun dry for a while.

Dun - They're 4x5 round bales. The hay was good and dry when baled. All excess moisture is from the rain. I am thankful to have a wet May. We've been dry this time of year over the last several years.

If they were baled tight there will be more of a problem from water soaking them from the bottom then from the tops. That is unless they were stacked, then all bets are off.

I bet it was not baled as dry as you think it was. Ryegrass is almost impossible to get dry and when you think it is dry you can bale it and it will be more moisture in it than you thought. Dont put them in a barn or you will lose it. If you are seeing some mold and it was baled tight the hay had moisture in it when baled.

I agree with hayrack. Do you have any way of checking the actual temp in the bale or the moisture? Are the bales sitting down much? (losing there roundness) I've put some up wetter than desirable and I just stored them outside. Centers caramalized from the heat. Cows loved it but the feed value wasn't that good.

Jogeephus":2fma6dd4 said:
I agree with hayrack. Do you have any way of checking the actual temp in the bale or the moisture? Are the bales sitting down much? (losing there roundness) I've put some up wetter than desirable and I just stored them outside. Centers caramalized from the heat. Cows loved it but the feed value wasn't that good.

I rolled some wheat last year that looked plenty dry before I baled it, but a bunch of the centers caramelized. The cows would knock you down to get to it. Smelled like baccer.

Mine too! :lol2: They sure loved it but the fella from experiment station told me that the nutritional value was not that good. I don't think he told the cows that though. :lol2: :lol2:

Jogeephus":20j3mece said:
Mine too! :lol2: They sure loved it but the fella from experiment station told me that the nutritional value was not that good. I don't think he told the cows that though. :lol2: :lol2:

We got some alfalfa OG mix one year that was like that. Cows polished everything up down to the dust and dirt. They don;t even clean up grain in a feeder as well as they did that.

You can probably do the sniff test and the steam test.

I've baled some that was too wet before, and it had the sweetest, sticky smell that you could imagine. It also would produce steam late in the evenings coming out of the bales. That stuff was hot!

Leave it outside until it cures completely.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm letting it cool down before storing. I do have a sour smell in some of it that bothers me. Maybe it will clear up once it gets good and dry.

Latest posts