Wet Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

SkinMan

Reaction score
This past summer I baled around 60 bales of hay that had gotten rained on. It was just one of those situations where I thought I had a window between showers to get it cut and baled, but it ended up getting wet. I stored it seperate from all of the good dry bales.
When I feed hay now, I'll put out 1 or 2 bales of "good" hay along with a bale that was baled wet. The cows are eating the wet bale up before touching the others. They have a real strong hay smell and dark brown spots here and there.
I figured they would turn their noses up,but they seem to love it. :shock:

These 3 bales were put out at the same time.

The wet bale
8boi5g0.jpg

The dry bales
6urg3kn.jpg

just because the hay got wet.doesnt mean its no good.the wet hay just has something in it that the cows are craving.an the cows know what they like.

Are the chicken houses yours?

If so who do you grow for?

I have 8 houses and grow for Peco Farms.

Seems like we will be working for the banks ang gas companies again this year.

Johnny

Johnny,
Those are my houses. I've got ten. Thats our main source of income, but I'm trying to get a cow herd built up to help pay for retrofitting the chicken houses. That is IF you can make a profit off of cows :?:
I grow for Raeford Farms. Your right about the loan and utilities. They definetly eat up most of your profit. :mad:

grannysoo":1kl2uae8 said:
Keep on feeding. :)

And... you might want to invest in some hay rings. They will help make your hay go further...

I really hate to admit this but until two years ago I didn't bother with hay rings.
Hay was cheap.
Hay got expensive
Bought hay rings.
I'm guessing I use about 40% less hay.
Also this year I started setting out the new bale beside where the old was was and pitch forking the remaining hay off the ground into the ring.
I thought I was coming up with a new idea and Dad said he had always done that. He has also always used hayrings.
I'm 50 and Dad is still smarter than me.....

Latest posts