Wet distillers grain

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsteim

Reaction score
I've got a lead on free wet distillers grain we just have to pick it up. How much should I feed my cows and weaned calves a day of it? How long does it keep? Is it a bad idea to leave it out free choice without a limiter? Should we be considering mixing it with other feed?

Dsteim":b7p5jhbi said:
I've got a lead on free wet distillers grain we just have to pick it up. How much should I feed my cows and weaned calves a day of it? How long does it keep? Is it a bad idea to leave it out free choice without a limiter? Should we be considering mixing it with other feed?

From beer brewing process?

skyhightree1":2hdgvmzm said:
Dsteim":2hdgvmzm said:

Yes from beer brewing.

Dsteim":3jzaom44 said:
skyhightree1":3jzaom44 said:
Dsteim":3jzaom44 said:

Yes from beer brewing.
That's not distillers grain. It's wet brewers grain. You can feed it free choice. At 65=70% water it takes quite a bit of it to get any real dry matter into the cattle.

TexasBred":1rl4ufst said:
Dsteim":1rl4ufst said:
skyhightree1":1rl4ufst said:

Yes from beer brewing.
That's not distillers grain. It's wet brewers grain. You can feed it free choice. At 65=70% water it takes quite a bit of it to get any real dry matter into the cattle.

Do you think it's worth the effort of picking it up and putting it out for the cows? If we bought a few more totes we would be able to haul 5 tons at a time.

Dsteim":57wjshsk said:
TexasBred":57wjshsk said:
Dsteim":57wjshsk said:
Yes from beer brewing.

Do you think it's worth the effort of picking it up and putting it out for the cows? If we bought a few more totes we would be able to haul 5 tons at a time.

Dsteim I get avg of 40 tons of brewers grain a week. Hauling on totes and shoveling and fuel is a fine line of worth it or working yourself to death. I feed mine free choice have been for years. If you feed free choice they will have some serious mud butt till there stomach adjusts. My hay consumption has went down id venture to say 60% I feed so much of it I have a sacrifice area to dump it on but I think its a fly holy grounds. Is it worth it depends on each individual person.

We have been getting it from a local brewery for about five years. We go pick it up in rolling containers once a week. We supply the containers leave 20 pick up 20 or whatever they have for the week. When we were offered the opportunity we sent samples to Auburn to have it analyzed. We wanted to make sure it was worth the time and effort, based on the report we received from Auburn we have continued using it. The plus is free and a good feed not a complete feed but worth the effort. The negative is labor intensive, it only last a week in our heat and humidity. Another drawback is the brewery tends to have a lot more available in summer than winter. We really don't need feed in Summer we have plenty of grass, but it has to be picked up year round, so we feed it to bred heifers. The cattle love the stuff.

Gizmom

gizmom":2j6ba9qg said:
We have been getting it from a local brewery for about five years. We go pick it up in rolling containers once a week. We supply the containers leave 20 pick up 20 or whatever they have for the week. When we were offered the opportunity we sent samples to Auburn to have it analyzed. We wanted to make sure it was worth the time and effort, based on the report we received from Auburn we have continued using it. The plus is free and a good feed not a complete feed but worth the effort. The negative is labor intensive, it only last a week in our heat and humidity. Another drawback is the brewery tends to have a lot more available in summer than winter. We really don't need feed in Summer we have plenty of grass, but it has to be picked up year round, so we feed it to bred heifers. The cattle love the stuff.

Gizmom

The winter months are slower months so production is scaled down and in summer theirs more experiments and releases. What kind of system do them have to get the grain out? is it just take out of the brew house in cans? If so we did that a year and then upgraded to a new system where its pumped out in a silo and i release it into a dump trailer or dump truck. that stuff is stinky in the summer and if it rains but i usually put it in my sandiest soil spot then disc it in every week.

skyhightree1":28eruy1g said:
gizmom":28eruy1g said:

Gizmom

The winter months are slower months so production is scaled down and in summer theirs more experiments and releases. What kind of system do them have to get the grain out? is it just take out of the brew house in cans? If so we did that a year and then upgraded to a new system where its pumped out in a silo and i release it into a dump trailer or dump truck. that stuff is stinky in the summer and if it rains but i usually put it in my sandiest soil spot then disc it in every week.
Sky how do you take it down the road in a dump truck/trailer? The stuff I picked up last year would have been making a mess that way. I picked it up in chemical totes but it was labor intensive and spoiled quick in the summer. I gave up on it

5S Cattle":efpoln4a said:
Sky how do you take it down the road in a dump truck/trailer? The stuff I picked up last year would have been making a mess that way. I picked it up in chemical totes but it was labor intensive and spoiled quick in the summer. I gave up on it

Was yours really wet and sloshing around? What I have is pretty dry as we drain excess water off. It doesn't blow off in great amounts but it will drip water but no huge amount. Yea totes will work you good. If you have a may you can put it in a pit like silage.

Wet Brewers Grain use to pencil out great for milk production/by pass protein in dairy cows here in Minnesota.
I'm uncertain about how it fits with beef cattle needs, performance and return on feed costs.
Sky can address pita handling and maybe TexasBred about how it would best fit into beef rations.

skyhightree1":facndfew said:
5S Cattle":facndfew said:

Was yours really wet and sloshing around? What I have is pretty dry as we drain excess water off. It doesn't blow off in great amounts but it will drip water but no huge amount. Yea totes will work you good. If you have a may you can put it in a pit like silage.
No but I could probably drain off 10-15 gallons of beer when I got back to the ranch out of those totes. I'd get pulled over in a minute if I had a dump truck full of it lol.

5S Cattle":1t5ldu8f said:
skyhightree1":1t5ldu8f said:
5S Cattle":1t5ldu8f said:

No but I could probably drain off 10-15 gallons of beer when I got back to the ranch out of those totes. I'd get pulled over in a minute if I had a dump truck full of it lol.

Everyone thinks the water is beer ... Wrong wrong wrong... That's just water.. it has to go in a fermenter and hops added depends on style of beer making but usually for a double IPA 15 days.. water run off is normal

skyhightree1":1n560yt5 said:
5S Cattle":1n560yt5 said:
skyhightree1":1n560yt5 said:

Everyone thinks the water is beer ... Wrong wrong wrong... That's just water.. it has to go in a fermenter and hops added depends on style of beer making but usually for a double IPA 15 days.. water run off is normal
Right! But you might be able to make beer out of it

skyhightree1":381nnzh1 said:
ez14.":381nnzh1 said:
Right! But you might be able to make beer out of it

You wouldn't be happy with the results the major starches and sugars you need were moved out into the boiler
True you would need a way to condense what was left (probably easier to just buy the beer)

Latest posts