Wet distillers grain

Help Support CattleToday:

In summer, or winter, U can put it in 55 gal drums, bags or anything with a air tight lid on it will sileage. I put it in barrels in July and fed it in January.
I let the cows eat for 1 hr and move them. I don't feed it to 1st calf hefers. It makes their calf's too big. Cows can eat too much. I've fed it for 5+ years.

quartermeter":1bel3nsy said:
In summer, or winter, U can put it in 55 gal drums, bags or anything with a air tight lid on it will sileage. I put it in barrels in July and fed it in January.
I let the cows eat for 1 hr and move them. I don't feed it to 1st calf hefers. It makes their calf's too big. Cows can eat too much. I've fed it for 5+ years.

Absolutely a false statement. I keep and raise 99% of my heifers and they have no diet different than the cows their calves are the same size as the others. The brewers grain does not make the calf any bigger than it would have been. It doesn't matter how long you fed it if you have no idea what your talking about.

skyhightree1":2srszm29 said:
quartermeter":2srszm29 said:

Absolutely a false statement. I keep and raise 99% of my heifers and they have no diet different than the cows their calves are the same size as the others. The brewers grain does not make the calf any bigger than it would have been. It doesn't matter how long you fed it if you have no idea what your talking about.
I had 2 cows die while feeding WBG free choice. Both were vaccinated and healthy. First was a 4 yr old cow. I just found her dead. the other was a first calf heifer that birthed a 95 lb calf. She was 24 months old. You do what you think is best. But answer this.
So you think a cow on just grass and a cow eating an all you can eat grain buffet and grass would have the same size calf?? Do you also think the cows would weigh the same?? That would follow your thought process. If so you should stop feeding the WBG. It's too much work if you think you are getting no results.

Have a nice day.

quartermeter":2if5mkx4 said:
[
I had 2 cows die while feeding WBG free choice. Both were vaccinated and healthy. First was a 4 yr old cow. I just found her dead. the other was a first calf heifer that birthed a 95 lb calf. She was 24 months old. You do what you think is best. But answer this.
So you think a cow on just grass and a cow eating an all you can eat grain buffet and grass would have the same size calf?? Do you also think the cows would weigh the same?? That would follow your thought process. If so you should stop feeding the WBG. It's too much work if you think you are getting no results.

Have a nice day.

Did you have an autopsy done on your dead cow that they said specifically the death was caused due to grain? Personally I've had healthy cows die before feeding brewers grain and after or at least what appeared to be healthy to me and I didn't have autopsy's done. So if the healthy cows died before feeding brewers grain I guess I could say they got ahold of too much or some bad grass ? That should be about right using your logic right? I can show you pics of my calves and how much grain all are eating. I am involved in a brewery and get 30 -40 tons a week I drop in my pastures in huge piles free choice. I am not getting a lil here and there. If what you said was true I would have no cattle at all and no need to be on this board right? If brewers grain was so bad no one would feed it or do you think farmers are sadistic and like losing money and want to see animals suffer and see how long it takes their cattle to die ? I guess the large brewers grain brokers that sell millions of tons to farmers are about to close their doors since there killing off everyone who's using brewers grains cattle. What you claim is completely unfounded and a very false thing to spread. I can back my proof up where's your autopsy report ? My proof is walking and calving. We had cows have big calves did over our years of farming ... Guess what no brewers grain involved... What was involved was a bull throwing big calves and bad genetics. If you are having that then you need to look at your genetics and don't blame the feed. I am glad you asked why am I feeding the brewers grain... It keeps our disposal costs down so no need to pay to get rid of it.. Its good feed keeps the cows looking good over the winter and has cut my hay consumption over half. It gives them something hot in their stomach over the winter and in the snow. BTW see that dump trailer in the pic its not too much work to open a valve dump grain in drive home hit a button and dump well at least not to me but maybe it is for you but either way..... .My suggestion to you is seriously think about what you are saying and go back and check your genetics because the grain isn't killing your cattle your genetics are. :tiphat:

Heres my proof cow with that calf is a first calf heifer... Yea...That grain sure made that calf HUGE.... Wait what is that in front of my truck... Is it live calves ? Couldn't be OL' QUARTERMETER says that grain kills cattle...

Dude your crazy. I never said the WBG was killing MY cows I just said I had 2 cows die. You said it keeps your cows fat. A healthy fat cow will have a healthier bigger calf than a thin cow. Maybe not too big but bigger. You have to agree with your own words.

WBG has been fed to farm animals for 1000's of years. I'm sure there have been studies done on feeding results. SHT I'm not here to argue. I'm here to gain info. Remember No one knows everything. Farmers around me are Skeptic of WBG. Most never heard of it. I get more than I need And I have tried to give it away. I've had no luck. The baptists won't take any cause it comes from beer. It's too much work for others.
Skyhightree you need to RELAX. You'll have a more harmonious outcome. This isn't worth getting all upset over.
Have a nice day.

SHT how many cow and heifers do you feed?
What's the measurements on that tilt trailer?
Where r u located?
Just curious?

quartermeter":d5cj9xaw said:
Dude your crazy. I never said the WBG was killing MY cows I just said I had 2 cows die. You said it keeps your cows fat. A healthy fat cow will have a healthier bigger calf than a thin cow. Maybe not too big but bigger. You have to agree with your own words.

I've been called worse by better people.. you eluded to the grain killing your cows.. where did I say it keeps my cows fat? I've had cows die that were strictly on grass as well as others so what's your point?

WBG has been fed to farm animals for 1000's of years. I'm sure there have been studies done on feeding results. SHT I'm not here to argue. I'm here to gain info. Remember No one knows everything. Farmers around me are Skeptic of WBG. Most never heard of it. I get more than I need And I have tried to give it away. I've had no luck. The baptists won't take any cause it comes from beer. It's too much work for others.
Skyhightree you need to RELAX. You'll have a more harmonious outcome. This isn't worth getting all upset over.
Have a nice day.

You are correct no one knows everything I never proclaimed that. If here to gain info that's great cause I just gave you some. I am relaxed I'm good.

SHT how many cow and heifers do you feed?
What's the measurements on that tilt trailer?
Where r u located?
Just curious?

I feed in the triple digits for now but will be diminishing tremendously.. that trailer 5x10x6 my single axle and my quad axle dump truck I don't know there exact measurements.. I'm in va.

You said this.
"Its good feed keeps the cows looking good(FAT) over the winter and has cut my hay consumption over half."
I fully agree with you. Your preaching to the Choir. I've fed it for 5+ years. They love it and eat less hay and grass.
Go preach to folks that don't use it.
You know your only feeding half of what you dump right. They walk on and waste half of it. Looks like that trailer holds 12-14,000 lbs. if u have 150 cows that's just 50 lbs each. Thats what mine get. I don't feed it every day. I get mine in 300 gal totes. 2-3/week. Cows are full after an hour. I move them out and feed it in 2 days. I don't have much to waste.
If you're ever in Pulaski Tenn I'll buy u a beer. We'll argue in person.

quartermeter":1h8y218w said:
You said this.
"Its good feed keeps the cows looking good(FAT) over the winter and has cut my hay consumption over half."
I fully agree with you. Your preaching to the Choir. I've fed it for 5+ years. They love it and eat less hay and grass.
You know your only feeding half of what you dump right. They walk on and waste half of it. Looks like that trailer holds 12-14,000 lbs. if u have 150 cows that's just 50 lbs each. Thats what mine get. I don't feed it every day. I get mine in 300 gal totes. 2-3/week. Cows are full after an hour. I move them out and feed it in 2 days. I don't have much to waste.

quote what i said i never said fat i said looking good. You are correct probably about how much the trailer could hold however I don't just use the trailer i use the dump trucks to haul and empty the silo completely each week. Totes are alot of work and suck I started with totes thats one thing I hate is totes and shoveling that crap. Yea they stomp alot in the ground for sure but thats what I want it really improves my sandy soil. No need to buy me a beer ill bring some kegs if im ever there. You should try to see if a dump trailer would work for you it makes life easier

quartermeter":9kgt9rvx said:
You said this.
I fed it to dairy cattle for 10 years in large volumes. An excellent product. Quartermeter actually it is nutritionally considered "roughage" once it has gone through the fermentation process and is little more than residue of what once was grain. The process removes almost all of the starches making it a very safe feed for cattle of all ages. As for the 50% waste you experienced all I can say is you must have had a really shytty setup as we had almost zero loss. BTW tell the baptist the alcohol is all gone. :lol2:

Title says distillers grain, he meant WBG, wet brewers grain. There is no fermentation in WBG. As for the waste. It's SHT with the waste. He's dumping 10,000 lbs on the ground. I said 1/2 is wasted due to them walking on it. I feed in 300 gal totes. I have no waste. Go read again.

quartermeter":qns4cycv said:
Title says distillers grain, he meant WBG, wet brewers grain. There is no fermentation in WBG. As for the waste. It's SHT with the waste. He's dumping 10,000 lbs on the ground. I said 1/2 is wasted due to them walking on it. I feed in 300 gal totes. I have no waste. Go read again.
Go back to page one and you'll see that "I" was the one that pointed out that it was indeed WBG and not wet distillers grain. WBG absolutely is fermented during the beer manufacturing process. Without it there is no alcohol. Can't find Sky's post about cattle walking through the WBG. Did see where he said he had a sacrifice area where he fed and from time to time he would disk leftovers into the soil.

After 2 years of trying I finally was able to get a source for WBG today! Not a lot only 300-800 pounds a week. So we will see how this goes

Latest posts