Wet Brewer's Grains..

Help Support CattleToday:

shloh1981

Reaction score
Anyone fed wet brewer's grains? I have a friend that has a microbrewery and she is always trying to give me her spent grains for my cattle. I typically feed only grass hay and alfalfa and add a little grain for 90 days or so before butchering. Would probably only feed it with hay to the young ones going to slaughter. Any thoughts/guidance/concerns about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

shloh1981

I know a little gal who gets all the mash from the local brewery. I will ask her if there is anyting to avoid.

I think she mixes it with some corn and feeds it to her feeder calves and young bulls.

A great feed especially if it's "free". On a dry matter basis it will often run 25-26% protein...very low in dry matter so you have to feed it pretty heavy...BUT it is actually considered "roughage". I'd make the deal with my friend especially if you're set up to handle it. Try not to keep over 5-6 days supply on hand tho as it tends to get a little "funky" but doesn't bother the cattle.

The microbrewery here makes a green chili beer once in a while. Apparently the cows don't care for that mash very much. :lol2:

It would replace the Alfalfa(if you fed more hay too) and it would decrease the amount of grain needed.
It would improve over feeding just hay to the rest.

Keep in mind you would be moving around almost 8 lbs of water for every 2 lb of nutrients.
Unless you are already feeding mechanized its probably not worth it labor/extra headaches wise even if its free.

3waycross":2aymyv9r said:
The microbrewery here makes a green chili beer once in a while. Apparently the cows don't care for that mash very much. :lol2:

HAHAHA.....so much for the brewers grain.....what does the beer taste like 3way???

TexasBred":pb0pmxr0 said:
3waycross":pb0pmxr0 said:

HAHAHA.....so much for the brewers grain.....what does the beer taste like 3way???

NASTY.........But then most beer tastes nasty to me. I don't drink much but when I do it's not beer. JD is my buddy

Finally somebody we can trust to watch the whiskey while we go to the bathroom :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't you dare 3way........like a teenager I tend to forget how bad it hurt the last time and figure by now I can probably handle it a lot better. :???:

TexasBred":1kjoo03a said:
Finally somebody we can trust to watch the whiskey while we go to the bathroom :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't you dare 3way........like a teenager I tend to forget how bad it hurt the last time and figure by now I can probably handle it a lot better. :???:

Any time my friend. I'll buy all the Jack you can drink. Just don't mix it with soda pop and you will be fine

yes jump on all the free wet brewers grain you can get.that slush is good feed for cattle.just put in protine tubbs an let emm drink it.but be warned youll have some drunk staggering cows.had a friend feed it to his milk cows years ago.an they would come stagging an stumbling into the milk barn.

Latest posts