West Texas working facility

Help Support CattleToday:

BeefmasterB

Reaction score
Interesting fence work. How do you suppose those cedar posts were put in the ground side-by-side like that? A trencher, maybe? (This was near Alpine, Texas).

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

It almost looks like they weren't put into the ground, just woven together with wire and stuck on the ground.

Neat set up though.

a lot of ppl do that type of fencing around here...especially for round pens but I've never seen a place with this much fencing like that...the fences around here have the wire wooven in between each post and then they are tied to the post...

All of our perimeter fences have these cedar stays like this only they are placed about two feet apart.
We have one working pen that the alleyway has steel posts about a foot apart and horizontal pipe about a foot apart and lined with cedar stays identical to the picture.If the cattle can't see a place big enough to get their head through they don't try to get through it.At least we've never had one to try it.They just keep going toward the opening which is the squeeze shoot.

Cal

ROCKSPRINGS":1soxh9da said:
Very common around here ( South Texas ) Usually made years ago by workers from Mexico. They last for ever.

Yep...product of Mexico. They've been doing it that way for ages. Spreading now.

Mine did not last forever. It went up in smoke in '90 right along with three barns and a lot of other things.

I still use the stays for bracing between T-posts. I save the cedar posts but don't use them for fencing. Sold a whole bunch of 20 footers for a building project. I did build the boss lady a rose trellis out of cedar posts and poles that everyone is impressed with.

I haven't used a cedar post for fencing since that fire in '90.

I was pretty impressed with the set-up too. I have never seen anything quite like it. Over the course of the 300 mile trek in the area, I didn't see any others like this one. With the ground being mostly rock, this method sure would beat trying to dig holes!

How they get their cows to the working pens was bafflling too. Has to take a couple of days! It looked like they were getting about 1 cow per every 50 acres or so, and that might be a very conservative number.

If you head out of Thorp Spring, TX along the 1800's cattle trail toward Weatherford, you'll be on FM 2580. After you go through Tin Top, you'll see a whole bunch of old farms that have stave fences just like that one you can see from the road.

IF you get off of the beaten path, you'll see others.

backhoeboogie":1owc87sa said:
If you head out of Thorp Spring, TX along the 1800's cattle trail toward Weatherford, you'll be on FM 2580. After you go through Tin Top, you'll see a whole bunch of old farms that have stave fences just like that one you can see from the road.

IF you get off of the beaten path, you'll see others.

I'll check it out! We have a lot of cedar down this way too. It might be an option for new pens. I often see this construction near Houston but it's usually at an entrance and just cosmetics. Granbury Lake worth fishing?

BeefmasterB":q3swriyj said:
Granbury Lake worth fishing?

Yes if you like a really good challenge :D However, A couple of fishing guides are telling me this year was the best crappie and sand bass fishing ever.

Yellow cat are my preference so I fish the brazos with perch. If you like channel cat, any old rotten stink bait works well on Granbury I am told.

The golden algae wiped out bass and a lot of bait fish on Granbury and PK over the last couple of years. The bass have not recovered yet, not that they were ever great there in the first place.

Latest posts