West Nile

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has any one heard of West Nile in bovine?? We just heard on the news that they found 4 dead cows with West Nile. We thought that they could not get it. Have not heard of a vaccine for cattle. We did the horses already....

[email protected]

What part of the world are you located in? Where were these dead cows found? Guess they ran tests on the cattle to determine that the cause of death was West Nile?

Around here (Central Texas), if a dead blue jay or crow is found, they will send those off for test to determine if west nile was the cause.

-------------------

> Has any one heard of West Nile in
> bovine?? We just heard on the news
> that they found 4 dead cows with
> West Nile. We thought that they
> could not get it. Have not heard
> of a vaccine for cattle. We did
> the horses already....

The strain presently in North America is hotter than the original strain which has been in countries such as Israel for decades. Can it affect cattle? Likely. It is known to affect various bird species, horses, humans and dogs etc.

Last year, I had two cats with neurological disease which could have been West Nile. The only place to get the brain tested here is through a government lab--and they refused to test, since there's been no documented cases in cats...but how can you find them if you never test them....

The vaccine is only licenced for use in horses...

JMHO....V

Speaking of vaccines for horses, would you recommend that horses be vaccinated yearly for west nile? My horse received a west nile vaccination about 14 months ago, but hasn't had one since. I live in Central Texas, and the mosquitos are not real bad, but I guess all it takes it 1.

-----------------------

> The vaccine is only licenced for
> use in horses...

> JMHO....V

> Speaking of vaccines for horses,
> would you recommend that horses be
> vaccinated yearly for west nile?
> My horse received a west nile
> vaccination about 14 months ago,
> but hasn't had one since. I live
> in Central Texas, and the
> mosquitos are not real bad, but I
> guess all it takes it 1.

My vet here in the Brazos Valley recommended 2X yearly for horses . This frequency was confirmed by other vets in the area as well. I figured $36 twice a year was worth the peace of mind......

> -----------------------

[email protected]

Latest posts