West Nile Virus

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms":1dh58zz0 said:
Anyone have any experience with WNV in cattle?? I may have a bull with it. Trying to see what chances of survival may be.

From the USDA Website:

Q. Are animals other than birds and horses affected by the virus?
A. Experimental tests suggest that sheep, chickens, and pigs could be affected by WNV. Two cases of illness caused by WNV were detected in sheep in the United States in 2002. In tests, the virus caused pregnant sheep to abort. Cows may show antibodies to the virus, which means they have contracted it without showing any clinical signs or becoming ill.

He says the symptoms all mirror WNV in horses I do not know if we will ever know for sure. Not sure if bull will make it through trhe night.

West Nile also causes disease in dogs--documented in Africa as well as the USA, and I've seen cats with exact signs, but they refused to test as it doesn't happen in cats....if they don't look, they'll never find it.

Can it occur in cattle? You'll never know unless he's tested. If he doesn't make it, get histopath done on the brain, and as comprehensive testing as you can. Rabies is on the list as a rule-out as well.....