West Nile Virus…Did you know

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
that you could be a quadriplegic in just 24 hours from this virus. My father in law has been in the hospital for over month. The virus attacked all of the muscles in is body including his diaphragm…so he can't breathe on his own and only has very limited movement. Will he get better? Some do and MOST don't.

The day before the virus attacked, he was helping my sons build a fence. He was very health with no known health problems. In our area, Dallas/Ft. Worth area, this virus is infecting all ages and races. The hospital that my FIL is in has had 8 other victims admitted into the ICU (ages 8-80). IF they left the hospital, most have severe disabilities.

If you don't wear bug spray, think about it. I thought that West Nile Virus just gave you flu like symptoms. This is not the case. CDC states the severe cases are seen in people over 50 and under 5. However, that is not what we have seen. One bite that leads to a severe infection could cause you to go "crazy", become a quadriplegic, or at the least a lifetime filled with muscle weakness and severe fatigue. PUT ON BUG SPRAY BEFORE YOU GO OUTSIDE.

OMG--I hope he gets much better real soon..
I did not know West Nile could affect people! Thank you for the heads up..

peg4x4":qjikkv6b said:
I did not know West Nile could affect people! Thank you for the heads up..

:shock: You've got to be kidding! You've never heard of www.Badskeeter.com, never heard an advertisement about using mosquito repellent containing DEET, never heard a public service announcement(sp?) about not going outdoors at dusk or dawn because that is when mosquitos are most active, never heard an item on the news about someone who was sick, or died due to West Nile?

Heard all that EXCEPT the West Nile/humans part--Knew it could affect dogs..
Wonder where I was when that info came out?! I usually keep up on all that stuff!!!
Thanks again,I'm picking up repellent at the store today..

That's terrible. Hope he gets better.

Buy a bottle of Ben's and spray some on your hat and shirt and let the skeeters bite others.

peg4x4":3kw4n1x2 said:
Heard all that EXCEPT the West Nile/humans part--Knew it could affect dogs..
Wonder where I was when that info came out?! I usually keep up on all that stuff!!!
Thanks again,I'm picking up repellent at the store today..

I know of several folks that have had terrible continuing affects from West Nile- totally incapacitated some of them...

The good news tho is that the immunity to West Nile is building up- both in humans, birds and horses (just like it did with the original sleeping sickness 60-70 years ago) and the amount of cases in both horses and humans has dropped dramatically in many areas...We just had our first case reported in this area all year in a horse- where a couple years ago- there were dozens...

I live on a river bottom alive with mosquitos (even mentioned in Lewis and Clarks journal for that quality :roll: ) and where two years ago the researchers were saying that something like 90% of the mosquitos they caught were the type that are carriers...
I had it two years ago- and luckily came out of it with no side affects-- but know that it doesn't affect everyone similarly...Many have it or had it without knowing they did...And from what I heard then gain immunity--BUT some it really hits hard....

I remember when it first hit and people and horses were dying from it. The human deaths were all over the news. They seemed to be among those whose health was already compromised in some way, or the very young or old. The horse vaccination was expensive but we got it since we only had 2 to treat and they were old. My vet recommended it and said that everything in North America was "biologically naive" to the virus so it would hit really hard at first. I had not heard of the lingering effects from having the virus before this post. I thought you either got over it or it killed you; didn't realize it could have such lasting effects on the survivors. We are also in the Missouri River bottoms and there are BIG mosquitos here that can leave lumps on horses. A nearby town calls their annual festival "Skeeterfest". I should buy stock in "Off", we use a lot of it.

Latest posts