Went to the Sale Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
I tell you i did not realize just how low prices have gotten. Seems like they are getting lower because of lack of rain here in the south excluding (SC& NC). Lowest I saw was a middle age cow that had been let go .18 a pound. just skinny with horned, most mommas went at .45, Black and yellow/white went for 1.18 @ 400. herefords sold at a .2 discount.

midTN_Brangusman":104nl32a said:
Definitely a buyers market.

thats just it only ones buying were the buyers, not hardly any " Farmer types" I counted 8 buyers. they were taking turns buying, 1 would bid then the other, then next guy would take a few. What bothered me was the Auctioneer more often than not started the price, he would discount the animal 1st. example horned hereford heifer 410 lbs, stated her out at .80. Black Baldy started them out at 1.10.

Thats pretty standard practice. You dont send a highland out and start it at the same price as an angus. Saves everyone time.

Sounds normal for here too. Every once in a while you'll see a cow go to someone's farm, and in mid-summer a handful are there getting cheap bulls. Other than that it's the same order buys bidding on everything, every week. Certain type are always started higher than others, they're selling a feeder every 20 seconds so they need to move things fast. Prices seem similar to those here, and we're far from dry. That's just the market right now.

Very similar here. The straight black Angus and Red Angus and Hereford crosses are selling at the top. Everything else is being docked. The ranch I help sold some straight Angus with a few with a little cross. The neighbor sold some very good Sim/Angus cross calves. His calves brought over a 100 dollars less. Similar quality. His simm/angus had several bald faces in them. So a tough marker for sure. Have lots of wheat now so going to grow what we still have for a while and see what the market does.