went to look at cows

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":2yhl3e9e said:
Like the first bull but not the third. He looks too short bodied but it might be the picture. Like the stats on the first one too. I would definitely take the old cow, and the heifer if you like her. I'm a sucker for older cows, but those "longevity genes" really say alot to me. She has a nice udder for her age, and if she can feed a calf decent for a year or two, you might get some good genetics to keep.
I like the old cow as well, doesn't look like spring chicken, but I'm thinking the same, she might give me a couple valuable calves.. Only dealbreaker on her would be she would have to be bred to a red bull.. a black calf would totally not suit me and waste my few chances at getting what I want from her

Well.. that sucks.. that bull is consigned to a sale in the spring so either I take a gamble on his affordability then or I pick a different one...

Nesikep":1xabr2q7 said:
Well.. that sucks.. that bull is consigned to a sale in the spring so either I take a gamble on his affordability then or I pick a different one...
Is the third bull consigned too?

Nesikep":2ri64xp6 said:
farmerjan":2ri64xp6 said:
Like the first bull but not the third. He looks too short bodied but it might be the picture. Like the stats on the first one too. I would definitely take the old cow, and the heifer if you like her. I'm a sucker for older cows, but those "longevity genes" really say alot to me. She has a nice udder for her age, and if she can feed a calf decent for a year or two, you might get some good genetics to keep.
I like the old cow as well, doesn't look like spring chicken, but I'm thinking the same, she might give me a couple valuable calves.. Only dealbreaker on her would be she would have to be bred to a red bull.. a black calf would totally not suit me and waste my few chances at getting what I want from her
I think you'll be fine with her if she ended up with a black calf....you can always sell the black calf at weaning.

Muddy":2jsv1lhp said:
Nesikep":2jsv1lhp said:
Is the third bull consigned too?
no, the only one consigned is the one I had kinda set my eye on.

In my red herd I just don't want a black calf, and considering she's an old cow, it's not like I might have a lot of time to get the calf I want from her.. If she's bred to a red bull I have the option of shipping her in august and keeping a good calf.

a tan heifer I might bring home

Well, I think I struck a deal on this heifer.. I'll have to wait to see the rest of the bulls in person again to finalize which of them comes home with me though.

Nesikep":1yg44myc said:
I'm kinda torn between the first and last of the two bulls pictured.. the last one really has a nice stance to him, the first looks like he's got the most masculine features for his age though.. There were other good looking bulls there that I just didn't have time to get good pictures of, Fellow had a doctors appointment to get to.. I'd take a closer look at all of them again before making a final decision.. I do like that heifer as well.

First one looks as though he might have some hair. Contrary to some belief, hair is an important item here in the north. Gelbvieh seem to lack it as a rule but when you find a good, hairy one latch onto him. May be the pictures but 2 and 3 look slab sided and narrow compared to the first calf.

We built this outfit on heifers from honest old cows like that one. Latch onto her and treat her well!

gcreekrch":u4zomzi1 said:
Nesikep":u4zomzi1 said:
I'm kinda torn between the first and last of the two bulls pictured.. the last one really has a nice stance to him, the first looks like he's got the most masculine features for his age though.. There were other good looking bulls there that I just didn't have time to get good pictures of, Fellow had a doctors appointment to get to.. I'd take a closer look at all of them again before making a final decision.. I do like that heifer as well.

First one looks as though he might have some hair. Contrary to some belief, hair is an important item here in the north. Gelbvieh seem to lack it as a rule but when you find a good, hairy one latch onto him. May be the pictures but 2 and 3 look slab sided and narrow compared to the first calf.

We built this outfit on heifers from honest old cows like that one. Latch onto her and treat her well!
you're in luck, that's the one that's consigned to the williams lake bull sale!

With the shorthorn influence in my herd, most of my animals have a good hair coat.. I have a couple cows that have SH but don't hair up too much
This one is 1/2 GV, 3/16 Saler, 1/8th SH... She's not cold!

Latest posts