Went to a branding today

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This branding had about 150 pairs. There is two different owners of the cattle. Most were turned out with the calves being ear tagged with the owners color (yellow or blue). But some were dry cows who have since calved. Some of those new calves were recognized some not so much. For the calves that they were unsure of the owner they did rock-paper-sissors to decide which brand to put on. That is the true scientific method to decide ownership. These cows will be running together all summer. So if they see a blue tag calf sucking on a yellow tag cow or visa versa they will make a note of it and adjust this fall.

That branding I went to yesterdayday. I didn't take the camera and I certainly wish I had. This place was made to be photographed. A nice green basin probably 400+ acres. It was burned in a big fire here back in 2015 so there is nothing but grass. And the grass there is still green. The day before they had set up panels for a pen and herded about 150 pairs into the basin. The pen was on the lower center of the basin. We herded the cattle into the pen and the fun began. I was vaccinating and it was steady. They were constantly bringing calves to the fire. It slowed toward the end as the ropers had to search through the herd for calves that hadn't been worked. Plenty of good help who were well mounted. I have mentioned a couple of young ladies (sisters) on here before who are hands. About half of the calves belong to one of these gals and her fiance. All of their bull calves need to be cut. Those two young ladies had their hands covered with blood and the front of their pant legs were bloody from wiping their hands. It was a site to see. Those two don't shy away from anything.

Latest posts