Went Red Angus shopping yesterday and today.

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
I have been watching The sire to this bull calf for a few years now and he has been pretty impressive. I was up in Canada twice now and have seen him and progeny both times. He is plenty fat in this photo but I saw him after breeding a bunch of cows last fall. Then I saw his son as well after breeding cows and he looked very good. I liked him a bit better, but he sold for $36,000, and his sire sold for $70,000. A bit to spendy for me. Anyway I put on around 2500 miles yesterday and today in the Midwest by prop plane and saw some sons, daughters and a bunch of other good cattle. This bull calf is by far the best calf I saw on my trip out of any sire group. He is an early March bull calf. He has a super dam as well, I have seen her several times as well. In fact, I raised and sold a few sons out of her a couple years ago. She is a very soggy made cow with a good udder and great feet. The little heifer in the bottom is a full sister to this bull calf. In this pasture I saw 3 full brothers and 4 full sisters to this calf. I realize he is young and alot of things can change between now and turnout time, but we decided to take a bit of a gamble we now own 50% and full possession of him.

Sire

Paternal Brother that Genex has

The bull calf - He was born on or around March 5

The bull calf

The bull calf

The bull calf

Full Sister - I would like to clean her up a bit and make her a bit more feminine, but her body structure is awesome for a March baby. All 4 sisters were very impressive.

I like the sire. How about some EPDs as well so we can decide better.

BTW I have been to an sold at some high end sales and usually money never exchanges hands when they sell for those prices so don't feel bad.

I like the sire. Bull calf looks a little pinched in the girth, but has a nice rear. Sister looks a little better.

Do you mind letting us see the Reg numbers on the Sire and the paternal brother so we can look up the EPD's

RD-Sam":1kwe05hh said:
I like the sire. Bull calf looks a little pinched in the girth, but has a nice rear. Sister looks a little better.

At this age he may be a bit pinched, but it isn't to much for me. I think it will get better as he keeps growing, time will tell. He is only a little over 5 months old and is growing like a weed, plus he is extremely athletic.

He is an embryo calf so his EPDs are parental average and won't change unless his parents do, until he gets some calves of his own. He is not registered yet so all I can give you is the following.

Sire Reg: 1234514
link: http://search.redangus.org/epdcalc/sire ... al/1234514
Dam Reg: 694350
link: http://search.redangus.org/epdcalc/sire ... mal/694350
EPDs
BW 2.8
WW 39
YW 68
M 16
TM 35
Marb -.06
REA .05

Here is his brothers reg. and link: 1232884
http://search.redangus.org/animal/id/12 ... al/1232884

BRG.......I like him a lot more this morning than I did last night. I think he has a lot of potential. The pictures as I well know do not do him any favors with regard to his heart girth. If you had only published the last one where he LOOKS much deeper nobody would have even mentioned his depth.

The only place I find that he wouldn't work for me is Calving ease. The numbers on BOTH his parents are just too high for me. Otherwise He looks to have a ton of potential especially with the right cows.

One other thing to consider with the calving ease issue is structure. If his numbers are strictly related to birth weight that's not nearly as dangerous as for example the numbers for another GREAT growth RA sire whose dtrs for the most part have pelvic openings that resemble a vertical slit.

Good luck with him. From what I have seen of your cattle you are not in the business of picking losers. I for one am very happy to see some of those real soggy canadian sires making a mark here in the States.

3waycross":356eehfz said:
BRG.......I like him a lot more this morning than I did last night. I think he has a lot of potential. The pictures as I well know do not do him any favors with regard to his heart girth. If you had only published the last one where he LOOKS much deeper nobody would have even mentioned his depth.

The only place I find that he wouldn't work for me is Calving ease. The numbers on BOTH his parents are just too high for me. Otherwise He looks to have a ton of potential especially with the right cows.

One other thing to consider with the calving ease issue is structure. If his numbers are strictly related to birth weight that's not nearly as dangerous as for example the numbers for another GREAT growth RA sire whose dtrs for the most part have pelvic openings that resemble a vertical slit.

Good luck with him. From what I have seen of your cattle you are not in the business of picking losers. I for one am very happy to see some of those real soggy canadian sires making a mark here in the States.

I wish I would have taken a photo of him from the front looking back. He has pretty narrow shoulders and actually looks like an easy calver. However, I am not concerned about his calving ease. Most of our cows have BW EPDs in the 2 & 3 areas. This is actually where I perfer them to be as we don't sell all that many heifer bulls. But I don't want hard calvers either. If I thought he would give us trouble, I would have stayed clear. He will not be used on first calf heifers, but all other ages will be fair game for him.

from what i gather about you.your a top reg red angus breeder.an you put alot of time an breeding in your cows an bulls.so i dont know why youd balk at giving $36,000 for the sire or $70,000 for his son.esp if you really liked an wanted him.heck ive got friends that wont think twice about dropping $40,000 to $80.000 for bulls.an they make a big killing selling semen for $100 to $150 a straw.

bigbull338":1ti69sxb said:
from what i gather about you.your a top reg red angus breeder.an you put alot of time an breeding in your cows an bulls.so i dont know why youd balk at giving $36,000 for the sire or $70,000 for his son.esp if you really liked an wanted him.heck ive got friends that wont think twice about dropping $40,000 to $80.000 for bulls.an they make a big killing selling semen for $100 to $150 a straw.
boy this ones got me puzzled right here, a 40.000 dollar bull ,,, can garner 100 dollars a straw? :shock: by jingo! count me in

bigbull338":2s7shukf said:

I gamble enough without spending that kind of money. Nothing says you will sell even 1 straw of semen. Plus it was announced that Genex already owned a piece of the son before the auction even happened, so I knew I could use him anyway.

BRG":1752osqp said:
bigbull338":1752osqp said:

I gamble enough without spending that kind of money. Nothing says you will sell even 1 straw of semen. Plus it was announced that Genex already owned a piece of the son before the auction even happened, so I knew I could use him anyway.

Now tell me Brian, how am I suppose to take you seriously as a breeder if you don't even want to spend $36000 on a bull? ;-)

What is the plan for this calf, anything specific you want him to do?

KNERSIE":25evpdqc said:
BRG":25evpdqc said:
bigbull338":25evpdqc said:

Now tell me Brian, how am I suppose to take you seriously as a breeder if you don't even want to spend $36000 on a bull? ;-)

What is the plan for this calf, anything specific you want him to do?

HA HA HA

I just want him to raise bull calves that resemble him and daughters that look and produce like his dam. If he grows out like I think he will, we will use him on some finer made females that are out of our calving ease bulls that need a little extra go to them.

I would imagine that we will try to sell off some pieces of him for semen use as well.

BRG":vagmyn23 said:
bigbull338":vagmyn23 said:

well ive seen where the guys i speak of have sold $15000 or more in semen at breed sponsered sales.an sale weaned reg heifer calves for $1500 to $3000.the friend that im speaking of has 30 donor cows in his ET program right now.as well as 40 or so cows in his reg pasture herd.

Latest posts