Went Red Angus shopping yesterday and today.

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":3heq4k9v said:
BRG":3heq4k9v said:
bigbull338":3heq4k9v said:
from what i gather about you.your a top reg red angus breeder.an you put alot of time an breeding in your cows an bulls.so i dont know why youd balk at giving $36,000 for the sire or $70,000 for his son.esp if you really liked an wanted him.heck ive got friends that wont think twice about dropping $40,000 to $80.000 for bulls.an they make a big killing selling semen for $100 to $150 a straw.

I gamble enough without spending that kind of money. Nothing says you will sell even 1 straw of semen. Plus it was announced that Genex already owned a piece of the son before the auction even happened, so I knew I could use him anyway.
well ive seen where the guys i speak of have sold $15000 or more in semen at breed sponsered sales.an sale weaned reg heifer calves for $1500 to $3000.the friend that im speaking of has 30 donor cows in his ET program right now.as well as 40 or so cows in his reg pasture herd.

From experience, I know it isn't as easy as it seems to sell semen. It is nice when it happens, but I am sure as heck not going to count on it. Some may, but not me.

We do alot of flushing and embryo work, but that will not pay for the price of the bull you are talking about, especially when I can just go and buy all the semen I want out of him.

We have purchased high dollar bulls in the past, and will again in the future, but didn't need to in this situation.

The guy who raised the bull calf emailed these photos to me in May. I thought I would show you what he looked like at 2 months of age

By the way, the brother in the first photos was recently crowned champion Red Angus bull at the World Angus Forum in Canada.

Latest posts