Went fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I have been complaining because the outboard motor on my boat is toast. I want to go fishing. Last week we were over by the Malheur reservoir. There was half a dozen people well spread out fishing from the bank. I said these people wouldn't all be over here fishing in the middle of no where if they weren't catching anything. So this morning after changing irrigation we went over there to fish. We were there an hour and a half total. That included tying on hook, baiting, etc. I caught two beautiful fat Rainbow Trout. One 17 inches and the other 16 inches. Had another one on that got away. And 3 bites that never got hooked up. I could have legally caught 3 more but that is plenty of fish for the two of us to have dinner. The wife said it was a very good trip. She didn't have to sit in a rocking boat, hold a pole, and watch for a bite. She walked up the road to take a picture of some Indian Paintbrush . Generally poked around exploring the area. I sat in a lawn chair 2 steps from the pickup and watched my pole. Weather was great. It was a beautiful day. Fresh trout and potato salad for dinner.

Attachments

• P5122528.JPG
    P5122528.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P5122531.JPG
    P5122531.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P5122533.JPG
    P5122533.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 39
That's a good way to spend the day. How you gonna fix the fish? Always looking for a good way to cook a trout.

That's a good way to spend the day. How you gonna fix the fish? Always looking for a good way to cook a trout.
She baked them. The Recipe said 20 minutes at 400 degrees. I think that was for smaller thinner fish. She cooked these fat things for 25 minutes. They came out just right.

I don't know much, or anything about trout fishing but my impression was that they were a fish that you went hunting for in a stream or the like with fly or lures. Sounds like you were bait fishing there sitting in your armchair Dave. Tell us how you went about it Dave.

Ken

I don't know much, or anything about trout fishing but my impression was that they were a fish that you went hunting for in a stream or the like with fly or lures. Sounds like you were bait fishing there sitting in your armchair Dave. Tell us how you went about it Dave.

Ken
I could fish for them in the river that runs through my place. But the water is running cold and dirty (melting snow). The purists fish for them with flies and maybe lures. They are certainly in all the lakes and reservoirs around here. If the boat were running I would troll some type of lure. There is a lot of options for that but I seem to always have luck with Flatfish. About F4 size and lots of different colors but silver is always my first choice.
Yesterday I used Power Bait. The chartreuse colored nuggets and a small piece of a worm on a #4 hook, 5 pound leader. I was casting out about 40 - 50 feet. There appeared to be a drop off about 15 feet off from shore. A gravel bottom. I have no idea how deep it was out there.
Both fought pretty good. They each jumped twice and took multiple runs. It does make it more fun to catch fish that fight as opposed to the ones you drag up off the bottom.

Latest posts