Went exploring this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":23l8o4nq said:
inyati13":23l8o4nq said:
Jake:
Day before yesteday when the vet palpated my cow. I ask him to give me some instruction. He said, "No way, I paid $185,000 to learn this, I am not giving it away." Of course, he was laughing. But he never gave me any hints. :D
Most vets I've known are worthless at palpating cattle. Don't get enough practice at it.
I know guys that can call calves in the forty-sixty day range within a day or two without the herdsman giving them a date and then call a 200 open because they weren't expecting anything.
About once a month I'll get a cow with a big calf mixed up in one of my pens and they'll get jumped a few times being the new girl and they're not on my paperwork since they're in the wrong pen so I'll drop an arm in there to see if she's somebody I need... I'll never get used to feeling a big old head that moves when you touch it when your mind is telling you open hot cow. :roll:

Sorry about the calf. But I have a question, could going in this late to check cause this to happen? Kind of weird if you ask me, but I don't have a clue.

slick4591":1cntroal said:
Everything I've read says checking it rectally shouldn't cause any problems.

It shouldn't.
Calf look pretty normal or had it started to rot down? I'm wondering if she did start to calve when you thought she did, it might have died then.

regolith":2oixp3m7 said:
slick4591":2oixp3m7 said:
Everything I've read says checking it rectally shouldn't cause any problems.

It shouldn't.
Calf look pretty normal or had it started to rot down? I'm wondering if she did start to calve when you thought she did, it might have died then.

Looked normal. Checked him over pretty good and the only thing that caught my attention was the fact the joints above the two rear hooves seemed to be a little tight. They gave some resistance when wiggled. No smell or anything that would tell me there was decomposition going on.

dun":33x297uo said:
Frequently signs of prolonged delivery

My guess too, but no real experience to base my guess on. This was a weird one for me in my limited experience. Never had one swell up, then stop and recede.

Might as well call her a first as the last calf was a c-sec. Just had to try her again, but she's hittin' the highway this week.