Went and acled like tourists

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So there is an old mining town near here that is fixed up for the tourist trade. They have a operating steam railroad and an old gold dredge you can tour through. The wife wanted to go up there. The train wasn't running (tourist season is kind of over). But we got the tour of the inside of the dredge. The wife did a little gold panning. Mostly to see if there was some method she needed to know. After we ate I saw a road sign that said Elkhorn Loop. I knew we were on the side of the Elkhorn Mountains and I figured a loop had to come out somewhere. Two hours later after driving through miles of timber, passing one ghost town, a bunch of old mining tailings, a couple of high mountain passes, a snow ski area, and an number of hunter camps (it is archery elk season) we came out where I guessed we might.

The old corral here is poles on railroad ties. The poles are getting kind of old and weak. Yesterday's drive we past miles of lodge pole pine so thick you would have to turn sideways to walk through them. I am going to have to talk to the forest service about a pole permit.

Many times we could be tourist in our own back yard. I have many things within 25 miles that we have never stopped to see but people travel from all over to see these. Guess I need to take a few hours and stop by.

Where we popped out of the timber was near some friends so we dropped in for a visit. They are getting older and want to downsize so they have the place for sale. It is 8,000+ acres with 1,300 irrigated, 5 houses, indoor arena, full set of working pens, etc, etc. It runs 800 cows. They are asking 6.25 mil. So if anyone has some spare pocket change and wants to live near me here is your opportunity.

Dave":mxwniz2o said:
It is 8,000+ acres with 1,300 irrigated, 5 houses, indoor arena, full set of working pens, etc, etc. It runs 800 cows. They are asking 6.25 mil. So if anyone (1) has some spare pocket change and (2) wants to live near me, here is your opportunity.
I gotta be honest here Dave...One of those, disqualifies me.

and I'm not particular who my neighbors are

greybeard":3vgr0p7v said:
Dave":3vgr0p7v said:
It is 8,000+ acres with 1,300 irrigated, 5 houses, indoor arena, full set of working pens, etc, etc. It runs 800 cows. They are asking 6.25 mil. So if anyone (1) has some spare pocket change and (2) wants to live near me, here is your opportunity.
I gotta be honest here Dave...One of those, disqualifies me.

and I'm not particular who my neighbors are
Seems something disqualifies me and I reckon it's the same thing that disqualified you

Ha! Gold fever is what you get for rubbing our faces in your paradise! Ain't karma a real %$#@&? I knew you'd end up struck down with an ailment for what you've been doing to us. LOL

Farm Fence Solutions":1r3cfely said:
Ha! Gold fever is what you get for rubbing our faces in your paradise! Ain't karma a real %$#@&? I knew you'd end up struck down with an ailment for what you've been doing to us. LOL

I do not have gold fever. I am a cowaholic. Us cowaholics have a natural resistance to other afflictions. We went and looked at a local tourist attraction so when all these people come to visit we can send them off somewhere out of my hair. This was our fifth trip to look at local attractions so we will know where to recommend people to go see. We have been here less than three months and 13 different people have come and spent 1 to 3 nights. All of them say they plan to come back. I may have to build a shack up on the top of the mountain to escape all of them.
But being a cowaholic I did buy a cow today. Well a heifer. A 800 pound yearling red brockle face heifer. She has some issues with her back end, hip, feet but she is plenty healthy to find the feed trough and the water trough. And she only cost me $500. About 60 days and she will find her way to our freezer. She wont make grade but she will make dinner.

Dave":18xqcmqm said:
Farm Fence Solutions":18xqcmqm said:

I do not have gold fever. I am a cowaholic. Us cowaholics have a natural resistance to other afflictions. We went and looked at a local tourist attraction so when all these people come to visit we can send them off somewhere out of my hair. This was our fifth trip to look at local attractions so we will know where to recommend people to go see. We have been here less than three months and 13 different people have come and spent 1 to 3 nights. All of them say they plan to come back. I may have to build a shack up on the top of the mountain to escape all of them.
But being a cowaholic I did buy a cow today. Well a heifer. A 800 pound yearling red brockle face heifer. She has some issues with her back end, hip, feet but she is plenty healthy to find the feed trough and the water trough. And she only cost me $500. About 60 days and she will find her way to our freezer. She wont make grade but she will make dinner.

Tell me about it. I'm having a pretty good month, and all I can think about is how to convince my wife that we should "invest" the profit in a set of heavy breds.

Farm Fence Solutions":qwbs9by2 said:
Dave":qwbs9by2 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":qwbs9by2 said:

Tell me about it. I'm having a pretty good month, and all I can think about is how to convince my wife that we should "invest" the profit in a set of heavy breds.

Yep, yesterday when we were at that friend who has their place for sale a bunch of calves kept marching by the window. They had just weaned a couple days ago. I am sitting there thinking that I would like to take about 60 of those heifers home. I think he noticed me looking because he said he was real happy with this bunch of calves. I agreed with him. But....... not this fall.

I do not have gold fever. I am a cowaholic. Us cowaholics have a natural resistance to other afflictions.

Well yeah..sure, I mean once you've got the 'cow bug' then everything else is like comparing measles to Ebola or Smallpox.

kenny thomas":owz51l4j said:
Many times we could be tourist in our own back yard. I have many things within 25 miles that we have never stopped to see but people travel from all over to see these. Guess I need to take a few hours and stop by.
What are some of the things you are referring to Kenny? My wife and I are always looking for a day trip and you are very close.

sstterry":1fx54lx6 said:
kenny thomas":1fx54lx6 said:
What are some of the things you are referring to Kenny? My wife and I are always looking for a day trip and you are very close.
Wilderness Road state Park, Natural Tunnel State Park, Comberland Gap National Park. Southwest Muesum State Park. All of those are within a half hour drive

Wilderness Road has the most authentic 1750's fort in the world
They have events throughout the year. In May they have a re-enactment that is attended by several thousand people.

kenny thomas":34gb4lx8 said:
Wilderness Road has the most authentic 1750's fort in the world
They have events throughout the year. In May they have a re-enactment that is attended by several thousand people.

That fort is unreal as it was built with all tools from the day it was actually built. (no chainsaws etc.) I think it cost the VA taxpayers close to a million dollar to build. A field full of buffalo surround it and a old humongous farm house build from around that day on the park..Indian relics everywhere as even around my house here on the river I can plow up a field and after a rain collect a bucket full of arrowheads, indian fish hooks, tomahawks, etc. They have reenactments every year and a lot of Indians get killed, and people gets their head scaped just like the old days. There was 300 million dollars spent in the mid-80's to build the Cumberland Gap tunnel to keep from disturbing the land were Danial Boone blased a trail through the gap to go west. If you like early US history it is around here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildernes ... State_Park

800px-WRSP2.JPG

On Saturday we went to Sumpter. That is the old gold mining town with the dredge and steam train. There is also the Oregon Trail interpretive center which has a great display about the Oregon Trail. You can still see the ruts left by the wagons. Going the other direction is Farewell Bend park where the Oregon Trail left the Snake River. There is Wallowa Lake a absolutely beautiful place and a tram there which goes up to the top of a mountain. The town of Joseph which has number of art shops that are primarily western art. There is Hell's Canyon. The Eagle Cap and North Fork of the John Day wilderness areas. About a half dozen museums that I know about. Several old ghost towns from the gold mining days. I am sure there are other things I don't know about. And more hiking trails than a person could cover in a life time.

kenny thomas":2sqhnhz4 said:
sstterry":2sqhnhz4 said:
kenny thomas":2sqhnhz4 said:
Wilderness Road state Park, Natural Tunnel State Park, Comberland Gap National Park. Southwest Muesum State Park. All of those are within a half hour drive
Thanks, we have been to two of them and in fact did the two-day hike on the Ridge Trail at Cumberland Gap. I will try to see the other two. I thought you might have been referring to the Virginia Creeper Trail.

sstterry":3m8p6jo1 said:
kenny thomas":3m8p6jo1 said:
sstterry":3m8p6jo1 said:
Thanks, we have been to two of them and in fact did the two-day hike on the Ridge Trail at Cumberland Gap. I will try to see the other two. I thought you might have been referring to the Virginia Creeper Trail.
Did you go to the Sand Cave, White Rocks overlook and Hensley Settlement? I have been several times and would like to go back again. My grandpa Morgan Hensley was born and raised at Hensley Settlement before the National park took all their land. He was born in 1907 there and left the mountain at age 19. He could tell some good stories how they survived on the mountaintop.

http://archive.knoxnews.com/news/hike-o ... 4831.html/

http://outpostusa.org/Hensley%20Settlement.html

jltrent":oiiv3e9f said:
sstterry":oiiv3e9f said:
kenny thomas":oiiv3e9f said:
Did you go to the sand cave, White Rocks overlook and Hensley's Settlement?
Yes to Hensley and Sand Cave. Water on that trail is not really plentiful so the Hensley Settlement is a must to get water.

And let me correct something I said earlier, the trail we normally hike is the Mischa Mokwa, not Ridge.

sstterry":u89phe1n said:
jltrent":u89phe1n said:
sstterry":u89phe1n said:
Yes to Hensley and Sand Cave. Water on that trail is not really plentiful so the Hensley Settlement is a must to get water.

And let me correct something I said earlier, the trail we normally hike is the Mischa Mokwa, not Ridge.
I have been on that trail several times as all the way from the Pinnacle overlook to Ewing is a pretty good hike. I live bout 15 miles southeast from there .

jltrent":235e1w1t said:
sstterry":235e1w1t said:
jltrent":235e1w1t said:

I have been on that trail several times as all the way from the Pinnacle overlook to Ewing is a pretty good hike. I live bout 15 miles southeast from there .
It is a strenuous hike and I am not sure I would do it today without getting in better shape. That is why I did not go to White Rocks, that additional mile on the spur makes a big difference to an old fat guy. (You are really close to the TN line then).

My bucket list hike was the Grand Canyon about 6 years ago. When you are doing it, you realize just how insignificant we really are in the grand scheme of things.

Latest posts