Welsh blacks?

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Just browsing and I came across this breed called the Welsh Black. They look like a good alternative to the black angus. Do people know anything?
jpeg%20feature6374250Welsh_Black.jpg

Canadian breed site
http://www.welshblackcattlesociety.com.au/default.asp

they are good, good, good, good, good cattle.

Feature breed at Melbourne last year. Some outstanding individuals. Just watch that the quality is there, its the same situation as with the belties though not quite as widespread.

I really like them

As far as comparing them to angus, generally heavier muscling, generally easier keeping, easier fleshing, easier finishing, generally smaller framed (they are very moderate in size, think highland), heavier hair coat, horned, seem to be about the same temperament wise.

Did I mention they are really good cattle? :mrgreen:

I really like them Keren. I know people say that you shouldn't go into a breed when the gene pool is small but I think that's what helps a lot of lesser known breeds to actually be good. Regardless of breed I'm pretty ruthless with confirmation...

I might have to look into these a bit more you know. I really think they're nice. Of course I'd be pretty much looking at AI again. And transporting them from over east but such is life....

Most likely... I emailed the society president about it for some more info. Seriously though I'm pretty sure this is love at first sight. Look at that DEPTH and LENGTH. No flank issues in this breed :lol:

Apparently they are drought tolerant. And because of the environment in wales, rocky mountains and what not they are hardy and easy doing.

aussie_cowgirl":2n6go4gy said:
Apparently they are drought tolerant. And because of the environment in wales, rocky mountains and what not they are hardy and easy doing.

If you take any of the breeds that are uncommon outside of their area of development you'll pretty much run into the same thing. Aberdeen Angus were a far cry from what we have today as angus, Shorthorns too. I'm sure the Gelbvieh in their original area are not ver ysimilar to waht is commonly seen today in other areas. Most (all and any) breeds will eventually suffer degradation from their original traits when/if they become popular.

dun":3l3ilb3h said:
Most (all and any) breeds will eventually suffer degradation from their original traits when/if they become popular.

you mean they will be "improved"...

Aero":1gy4q3wa said:
dun":1gy4q3wa said:
Most (all and any) breeds will eventually suffer degradation from their original traits when/if they become popular.

you mean they will be "improved"...

Yeah, improved clear to uselessness

Yes Welsh Blacks are a good bet. Good beefey, large framed cattle, and they taste pretty good too. We had them on the home farm and they are still there today running along side the Red Polls. They finished just as well as the Reds when run togeather.

They are very quiet cattle generally.

My father always tried to breed for the polled ones.

I remember my first "Red Poll" trip away with some friends to a show and the welsh black bull was placed 3rd in the "meat and wool cup" (this is the supreme interbreed champion in NZ)
I can't remember what was placed above him but the general feeling around the show was that he should have won the top prize. It was an impressive line up thats for sure.

They would be quite well suited to NZ wouldn't they :) I think the polled ones would be better accepted in WA. People seem to much prefer polled cattle here. I was actually looking at some of the AI sires from new zealand. There is a few nice ones for sure.

AI sires from NZ ? Ok

There weren't many over here on AI, when my father was AI'ing many years ago. It was a long time ago though. I could still name them today. Any chance of a PM naming the bulls you looked at? Mum is keen to do some AI with the reds and she may be interested in some Welsh Black semen too.

Cheers

PS. Man these comments make me sound like an old man !!!!!!!!! Lol :cowboy:

Have a look at the Welsh website.There are some magnificent bulls available through A.I.
In New Zealand we are a small association but the breeders are dedicated to the cause.Some fine animals too.I find them very easy care and they grow well through wet and dry.They are bred for hill country and I think the soft flat pasture can spoil their feet,but in saying that, I have only one old cow who has this problem.We have horned and polled and the horned animals are a great sight,but for my own safety,I prefer the polled animal.One thing I really like about the breed,is that a good animal today,is probably much the same as the animals that used to roam the hills of Wales,centuries ago.Healthy,good natured animals,the meat is tender and a very attractive appearance.

Latest posts