welsh black et al

Help Support CattleToday:

russoniellov1

Reaction score
I´ve been following with interest all the posts that you kind cattleman have been putting up. What strikes me , is that of all the pictures I´ve seen put up, the best set of bulls I´ve seen are the Welsh black someone put up not long ago.I also liked the pic of a shorthorn bull that was very long and beefy, sort of roan white, and that of a shorthorn cow with her calf, she was ruby red, thick as they come . Just by these pictures and by the quality of these animals, I wonder why these breeds are not much more popular, what are their shortcomings? Are they representative of their respective breeds ? thanks for your input.

Couple reasons.

There were some poor animals in those breeds, so started a downhill trend.

Then some breed outcrossed to the Maines, that didn't cattlemen.

But, the number one reason, they just don't have the financial backing to mount a bigger ad campaign like that other big British breed.

mtnman

about 80% of the photos of bulls posted in these forums would be casterated in a proper beef operation, alot of the bulls that are posted are from hobby farms "small ranches" , where they either breed there own from there comercial cows or buy the bulls no one wants, the only good bulls I have seen in this forum was the Shorthorn and the black and flek Simmental bulls, a few bad Angus bulls that you wouldnt admit to owning have been posted pictures of ,there seems to be alot of poor quality cattle around.and alot of mix breed herds that just dont cut it. ;-)

Welsh black is making headway in Britain since they started a 'Welsh Black' marketing scheme. Beef quality is exelent, good temperement, fertility etc. The herds I saw in Wales were impressive,they are just a lesser known breed.
Shorthorn, as I've mentioned before, was a victim of it's own popularity. They were marketed as 'The universal improver' due to their being used to develop breeds such as the Santa Gertrudis,Beefmaster and Bonsmara. There was such a demand for shorthorns, that people who had no right to even keep cattle were breeding and sellingl anything with four legs and testicles as a breeding bull-result the breed crashed in popularity, and survived mainly as a show breed for many years.
Australia and South Africa were less affected, hence the large number of herds found in those countries. Can one of the Australian cattlemen post a picture of some Webollabolla Shorthorns for the local forum members?

russoniellov1":3eipjfvz said:
I´ve been following with interest all the posts that you kind cattleman have been putting up. What strikes me , is that of all the pictures I´ve seen put up, the best set of bulls I´ve seen are the Welsh black someone put up not long ago.I also liked the pic of a shorthorn bull that was very long and beefy, sort of roan white, and that of a shorthorn cow with her calf, she was ruby red, thick as they come . Just by these pictures and by the quality of these animals, I wonder why these breeds are not much more popular, what are their shortcomings? Are they representative of their respective breeds ? thanks for your input.

There aren't enough Welch Blacks in the US to get anyone's attention. IMO, no, those Shorthorns aren't representative of the breed. Shorthorns have been taken over by the show ring and it's going to be a difficult job for the serious breeders of beef shorthorns to overcome that reputation, at least here in the US.

Frankie":1jhn37y5 said:
IMO, no, those Shorthorns aren't representative of the breed. Shorthorns have been taken over by the show ring and it's going to be a difficult job for the serious breeders of beef shorthorns to overcome that reputation, at least here in the US.

Frankie, you're right in that I haven't seen many US Shorthorns to match whats available in other countries. Thankfully, in Saskatchewan and Alberta (not sure about MB or ON), many, if not most Shorthorn breeders remained true to the beef Shorthorn breed, and continued to breed what I consider real beef animals. I've also seen some very nice examples in Australia, New Zealand, and Britain. When my PB herd gets a little bigger, I have every intention of importing some semen from some of these herds, especially the British herds where the Shorthorn animal is still a little more old fashioned with LOTS of volume.

Sure, you'll find some pencil gutted or light muscled junk, but then, I can point to several Angus breeders within Saskatchewan who have done the same thing to their animals. As someone mentioned, some people shouldn't be breeding livestock.

Just so y'all don;t think that the Aussies have cornered the market on good Shorthorns, a link to one of the better breeders in Canada (IMHO):

http://www.saskvalleyshorthorns.com/index.html

Rod

As far as the Welsh Blacks go, the pics I posted of those bulls are representative of what the breed is at it's best. Rkaiser's herd of Welsh and Galloways is a sight to see, but the truth of it is, there aren't many breeders of Welsh genetics that have that kind of quality. If there were, they probably would gain more favor, especially in the commercial herds of the average producer.

Years ago you would see alot of shorthorn,red poll, hereford around my area they kind of fizzled out. you would see alot more gert bulls being brought in and then beefmaster and alot of straight brahman bulls. course today its every other farm you see its strait angus herds.

Do any of you believe that the US is producing any quality Shorthorns? If yes, who and where?

purecountry":n2x4maj9 said:
Rkaiser's herd of Welsh and Galloways is a sight to see,

ACK! Good thing he's out in the bush calving right now. Maybe we'll get lucky and he won't see this. Lord knows he already has trouble finding a big enough hat for that ego :lol:

Heavier hair coats, and I understand a thicker hide. And in the case of Kaiser's critters, a genuine beef producing machine. Deep, thick and exactly the kind of animal that a Saskatchewan winter begs for. I haven't seen an ANgus like his Welsh cows since my last Aberdeen prolapsed 4 years ago.

Rod