Welsh Black Caution

Help Support CattleToday:

rkaiser

Reaction score
Got a heads up from my purecountry bud that said someone was badmouthin us over here on this web site. I would rather not take this poor young fellow on and chastise his operation but would certainly like to respond to how he called our cattle miniature and "dink like". In fact the Welsh Black bull that he called this rather negative name is a bull that weighed 1600 pounds at 22 months of age and never saw anything but grass and some forage silage for his entire life. HIs ultrasound measurements were astounding and his pedigree pointed toward the kind of udder and composition correction that the man who bought him dearly needed. This bull was a frame 4 bull and would have easily matured at between 1900 and 2000 pounds had his owner found him after turning him out to pasture when he purchased the walking rights to the bull from me. This new owner happened to be the father of our bitter young victim who, like his father seems to want to live in a victimized world and blame everyone else for his problems. Too bad things like this are going on in the cattle business these days and I certainly hope that things turn around so that even these lost souls can make a profit again despite their negative attitudes.

We have certainly tried to keep the frame size of our cattle down below the average and the choices that our buyers make are informed choices from more detailed individual data than most bull sales provide. How on earth are we too downsize and over sized cow herd with shotgun cattle and not consistently bred pedigree stock. If there was a bull that would fix everything for everyone, I don't believe it would be a bull like the last bull that this poor young victim chose after the rest of the buyers in the sale passes on him and we let this fellow purchase him for a song ----- after the sale. Trusting that we would get paid after delivering the bull and being promised a fee (HMMMMM) for dropping him off - and - waiting for the cheque. That finally arrived --- thank goodness. OOOOPS --- did I say too much. Oh well.... Times are tough out there and when times are tough people need to work together and find the positives rather than send darts in wind.

Everybody has a different opinion about frame score. On another string, a guy took a shot at one bull saying: nice bull but that he couldn't use anything less than a 6 frame (frankly I think the industry has too many cattle that are 6 frame and bigger). I took a shot at some 0-2 frame bulls as being too small for the industry about a week ago. Your "friend" apparently likes them BIG. If you look hard enough you can find somebody selling cattle in every frame score and cow weight imaginable.

We get good beef cattle rubbished all the time in Red Polls !!! All I can say is if someone makes a bad choice when buying bulls or cows they can only blame one person. Themselves !! Most animals have their place, I was brought up around WB's and never saw a bad one.

read the thread cited and it seemed to me the guy was very complimentary about welsh blacks, and the bulls he'd been getting but it also seems clear that the last bull he got did not meet his expectations, at least from a visual appraisal point of view, now if the calves perform as he expects then perhaps it will be the case that whilst the bull was developed differently the genetics are the same?

If I understand everybody correctly, Bizin has bought bulls from Rkaiser in the past and liked them. Recently Rkaiser has sought too moderate frame some. A move which has greatly displeased Bizin so Bizin is looking for a new seedstock source.

bizin should have expressed his dissapointment to kiaser himself, stead of on a public forum.. not the way too handle things...

alacattleman":r9683vmp said:
bizin should have expressed his dissapointment to kiaser himself, stead of on a public forum.. not the way too handle things...

That probably would be the more professional way to do things. In defense of Bizin, he did not identify Rkaiser by name/user name. Unfortunately, with small breeds like Welsh Blacks (versus Angus which might have 20 breeders within 300 miles of any location picked at random) it is not too hard to figure out.

he mentioned randys name in one post,, dont matter now that i know who it was it has no effect on me as he seems too be chasein' rabbits any way

I just noticed this post now. I dont pretend to be victimized in any way Rkaiser, I bought the bull sight unseen and its my own fault for not being back at the feedlot when he was delivered. I gave the bull a chance to meet the potential of his half brother, 40P, who is one of the best Welsh Black bulls I have ever seen or the 159P bull that was bought the same year, both are great bulls and from the females they have produced I am more than happy with their offspring. I wasnt talking about 101R I was talking about 92T. The welsh black breed has great potential and we will still buy Welsh Black bulls, I just think your bulls are not suited for our needs anymore. I wanted to find more bulls like 40P and 159P and did not expect such a drastic size difference over 2 years. And I was not bad mouthing you or your herd Rkaiser, I simply stated the bull was almost minature. I have been very happy with the other bulls we bought. Our bulls are also raised on just grass and hay, and dont see any barley and I agree with that way of developing them, and I had hoped this bull would continue to grow and might match that of 40P and he has not even come close. I have said nothing negative about you or your operation and to see what you have wrote makes me wonder who the child is in this! And I believe it is you sir who is sending darts in the wind.

And I dont like them big at all, our cows are a 5 to 6 MAX and weigh 1000-1200 lbs. Are cows are moderate and our bulls are moderate.