Well vs Rural Water

Help Support CattleToday:

We have our own well at home and it's great, prefer the farm water much better over the city water, but I have to be living on city water right now, as I speak.

There are a few disadvantages, including having to check the light bulb in the pumphouse every day inthe winter, and you get frozen pipes to either the cattle or the house you get no water, and no electricity, no water. But other than that, nothing beats good fresh farm water.

Thanks aplus, you're water situation sounds like our electricity. Except for pivots, we read our own meters and pay it. It's interesting how many different systems there are for various things across the country. We also don't have sewer (or cable, dsl, nor any choice about phone service, or electric service), and have septic tanks.

msscamp":rnd6zkyl said:
Thanks aplus, you're water situation sounds like our electricity. Except for pivots, we read our own meters and pay it. It's interesting how many different systems there are for various things across the country. We also don't have sewer (or cable, dsl, nor any choice about phone service, or electric service), and have septic tanks.

We are coming up in the world, this last year our Electric company installed some sort of satellite system on our meter. We no longer have to read are meter it sends it to them automatically. I like this since now you do not look out and see the electric man checking your meter every so many months to see if you are sending in the correct numbers.

Last time our meter reader guy came to the house I about shot him, saw a strange person walking by my bedroom window one afternoon, came out in pajama's and a 16 gauge pump.

aplusmnt":2ehsc0q4 said:
msscamp":2ehsc0q4 said:

We are coming up in the world, this last year our Electric company installed some sort of satellite system on our meter. We no longer have to read are meter it sends it to them automatically. I like this since now you do not look out and see the electric man checking your meter every so many months to see if you are sending in the correct numbers.

Last time our meter reader guy came to the house I about shot him, saw a strange person walking by my bedroom window one afternoon, came out in pajama's and a 16 gauge pump.

A year or so ago the local electric company went to meter readers. I know it's hard to believe, but people would report a lower number then was right. Seems that htey wer'nt the ones that would get caught, it would be the ones that moved in behind them.

dun

dun":8avi34pj said:
aplusmnt":8avi34pj said:
msscamp":8avi34pj said:

A year or so ago the local electric company went to meter readers. I know it's hard to believe, but people would report a lower number then was right. Seems that htey wer'nt the ones that would get caught, it would be the ones that moved in behind them.

dun

Hard to believe people would be dishonest like that :lol:

I like the fact that I do not have to read ours now and it is done by satellite. I was bad about being late, because I would forget to read it at the right time and mail soon enough.

I am always paying late fees on water. I am just to lazy to drive to end of driveway and then climb over fence, then dish out water and mud so I can read a meter in the middle of the Blackberry patch. Bill paying hurts enough when you just have to sit at the desk and write checks besides all that other crap. :lol:

dun":29t5dldl said:
aplusmnt":29t5dldl said:
msscamp":29t5dldl said:

I know it's hard to believe, but people would report a lower number then was right. Seems that htey wer'nt the ones that would get caught, it would be the ones that moved in behind them.

dun

No! :shock: That is exactly why pivots are read by the electric company. Apparently no one tries to jimmy their house electricity - to the best of my knowledge, meter readers don't come around to verify or check readings - at least I've never seen them or their tracks.

msscamp":83lckddo said:
I have my own well, as do the folks. What is 'rural water'? I'm unfamiliar with the term, or how it works. Thanks!

In Texas "rural water" would be termed "Co-OP Water". This is where a private company drills a significant well, installs storage tank(s), pipes water to various people, and then charges them a hook-up fee and monthly usage fees. These systems are often in places too far for city water service and for people that don't have the money (or want to spend it) for a private well.

backhoeboogie":2s0fro4j said:
dj":2s0fro4j said:
What would the city council in Willow Park say if you wanted to install a cistern and catch your roof water? I bet some of the houses there catch quite abit.

I truly don't know. All I see is these retired folks on the news showing water bills in the thousand dollar proximity. I concluded they were flooding lush lawns. Then my daughter bought a house there. We sodded the front yard (not big) and we sodded around her house. 10 pallets of grass total maybe covering a quarter acre. Most of her yard is out back and we didn't sod it. She set her spinkler system for once a week. Then she got that water bill. Then she found out she couldn't punch a well. From what everyone there is saying, the city council is toast come election time. Folks are fighting mad.

Willow Park city govt. has been corrupt since that race track went in and then went belly up.

Alice

Latest posts