Well....they found us

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Pig_011.jpg

(I flipped the image so date and time are backwards.)

Now, if only we can get rid of it or them (according to number of hoof prints). This image was captured by a game camera we put out.

CB, how do we get rid of them? It is amazing the amount of damage they do in one night.

you train them as cattle herding dogs.. there was a video of that around here somewhere..

I would assume trapping them would be the most reasonable, but exactly how I'm not sure, as we don't have any in our area.

yep, they sure are industrious!

Hunt and trap is about it.

I've had sucess keeping them out of oat fields by running and electric fence about 18 inches off the gound. Keeping the large ones off is the main goal, the little ones don't do much damage. Easy to do on clean fence rows, not so easy on those grown up in brush and briars.

I was talking to some people in Texas today. They say wild hogs are in every county of Texas now and the experts say they'll never get rid of them. It will be a constant fight to keep their numbers in check. One woman said they're actually in the city limits of Denton, TX. Their appearance in populated areas has apparently led to the state of Texas to spending more money on controlling the population. Our neighbor got a license to buy and transport them. For several years he was very busy putting out traps and buying them from other people. A truck comes from Dallas whenever he gets a load and they're hauled to a processor who ships the meat out of the country. They're still around, but the wild hog population around here has been whittled away the last couple of years.

ffamom":1611tt2g said:
Pig_011.jpg

Now, if only we can get rid of it or them (according to number of hoof prints). This image was captured by a game camera we put out.

CB, how do we get rid of them? It is amazing the amount of damage they do in one night.
Where are you?
If everyone would put the state they are in along with their avatar, it would sometimes help readers to better understand their message.

I guess they're the equivalent of bears up here... they'll eat anything once they figure out it's edible, though bears don't quite multiply as fast

ffamom":3n65rqfz said:
We are north of Decatur, Texas...Alvord.
ffamom you are not far from me,just out of Bowie.
We have hogs about a mile from us coming into a dairy farm,but not here yet,just a matter of time.
However the place in Jack county is over run with them and also the place 4 mi west of montague is now over run. In fact today i'm going to montague place to repair some hog torn up fence :mad: :mad:

Cal

Hogs are still bad on one of our places. I have traps out and I also have a couple of guys hunting out there. To date they have killed/trapped 161.
You had better start hunting them yourself. They have rooted over 70 acres up. I know we won't have any coastal left .

ffamom":2lnj58md said:
Pig_011.jpg

Go get a case of clay pigeons and crush them up, cover them with diesel and let it soak a couple of days, take the mix and soak corn with it. Now go bury it where they are rooting the ones that eat it wont be back.
Another method we have used is to bait a spot and set up three tree stands, run a wire to a car battery with a red light. Set the deer stands in a triangle when the come cut them down with shotguns, the ones that escape will avoid your place like the plauge. You will never rid yourself of hogs all you can do is make them avoid your place. Start doing some night walks with a 45-70 got one with a varmit light on the scope from Burnham brothers you don't have to wonder if you hit or miss.

You either have wild hogs or you are about to get them. They are like ants and roaches, never go away. Just when you think they are gone, you got twice as many.

Caustic Burno":3h4fl0mg said:
Go get a case of clay pigeons and crush them up, cover them with diesel and let it soak a couple of days, take the mix and soak corn with it. Now go bury it where they are rooting the ones that eat it wont be back.

You want to make sure that the pigeons you buy have the warning label about hogs on the side. Some companies are changing the ingredients so not all will work. The note is plastered on the side of the case.

Getting rid of wild hogs is an ongoing task. You can thin them out or maby even get rid of them for a while. But one thing you can dam sure count on they'll get stupid and come back.
For some reason they love to destroy a coastel field.
I have shot so many I stoped counting. :mad: :mad:
Ive found that most the time I can get 2 out of a herd before they scatter by using my SKS with a laser green dot sight.They sure can scatter quick.

Cal

I saw a migration map on these suckers once. It won't be long before everyone will have them. Heck Russia has them in the coldest of climates. I guess they can adjust to just about any climate.

My problem is far less since I put up hog wire between me and the county. I still get some but not near as bad as I used to. I keep traps set around also.

I remember looking at a farm near Valley Mills and when we walked out to the barn, a sow and about six piglets ran past us. Bout scared the you-know out of me. You could tell they had been in the orchard. Have not seen any around, but I know they are everywhere and it is a matter of time.

43 trapped in one week is my best record.

I have not seen any since March of last year. They'll be back.

What Jo said is absolutely correct on their diet. They love worms. Put them in a pen and try to feed them old fruit. Three days from now the fruit will still be there, stinking.

Latest posts