well that was one heckuva trip

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":18fqfch5 said:
As I was reading this thread the question that went thru my head was how do you keep the bees form leaving the hive and being lost along the way without smothering them?

fine netting.....

Okay net over each individual Hive?

The trucks I hace seen have a net over the whole truck not each hive. You can see some bees outside the hive but not a lot.

hooknline":1pgn0lbb said:
You close the box all the way up and put a net over them.some get out but not many

BS! You didn't see me within 40 foot of your truck and I pity the bikers on the interstate. And how many times were you stung when we were shaking hands. You know right before I ran. :lol2: :lol2:

There was maybe a hundred bees outside the net flying. That's nothing! And I only saw one biker wipe out behind us in my mirrors..

:lol2: :lol2: Hundred hundred maybe. You couldn't have paid me enough money to change a flat on that trailer. I's skeered.

I used to swell up real bad after getting stung. But starting with this last trip where I got stung maybe 30 times, I didn't swell at all. Heck it didn't even really hurt

Highgrit, how do you clean the bees and how many does it take for a meal for 4????lol

hooknline":jhyyg390 said:
Highgrit, how do you clean the bees and how many does it take for a meal for 4????lol
Probably like getting moth balls. But it's tough holding their little tiny legs apart.

Alot of the sting is controlled by what queens the beekeeper is buying.
I used to run cordovan Italians and a few Carniolan queens... Gentle. Hauling bees was never a problem. I don't think I was ever stung more than once per hive even when I dug into the hives bare handed. My wife and kids would go with me and just stand back a few feet and they never got stung.
Then I switched to the queens from south Texas for better disease and pest tolerance and HOLY **** what a diferance! Even the ones out pollinating away from the hive are quick to sting. When hauling those bees, every bee in the air was looking for blood and wasn't to particular about where it came from. :nod:
I've sold most of the bees but I still have an old Mcnabb (black and white-looks like a skunk which is biggest enemy of a beehive) that runs and hides every time he sees me in a beesuit. He remembers those devil girls quite well. :mrgreen:

Cp, we had 250 italians, 100 carni, and 150 buckfast on this load..the buckfast were on the defensive side. Other than pulling that colony from that basement ceiling, I never put a suit on or a veil. Easy to work with

Yeah... buckfast... I hate those misserable little**** almost as much as they hate me. :D
I pinched queens on the stuff I kept this afternoon to let my girls mate with the cordovans that have moved into the neighboerhood for the citrus bloom. I'm trying to rid myself of all remnants of buckfast bees and still keep at least one side of the equation mite resistant.

I told the guy that had the survivor basement colony to make darn sure he took good care of them. the buckfast are supposed to be good for honey collection, but I don't know if I would want them

sounds like you had alot of fun an excitement hauling those hives.an met alot of nice people along the way.

Latest posts