Well Texas...Is it wet yet?

Help Support CattleToday:

In Hill Co have had 10" rain in last 2 weeks with 1/2 coming in past 4 days. Water and mud everywhere. Sure can grow more grass in mud than in dust we had in last 12 months.
Brazos and Bosque rivers rolling with Lake Whitney and Aquilla releasing water. Lake Whitney picnic area flooded with the rising water.

Caustic Burno":3gdsejml said:
1982vett":3gdsejml said:
It is here...8.25 inches since Saturday night. Not complaining.

Amazing it is west and north of here still relatively dry.
Went over the Trinity at Liberty and it was out of banks.

Sister told me the same thing last Monday..she crossed at Liberty Sunday.

We've had mostly steady drizzle to light rain, punctuated with hard rain for few minutes for several days now. I can't say we've had much run off at all but ground so far is still holding up. Probably about an average year here...so far.
My river is still well within it's channel and banks.

callmefence":16qobgt5 said:
https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2018/10/16/evacuations-ordered-llano-river-flooding-continues/1656961002/

Have they ever replaced that old steel bridge going south on Ford St to get to 71 out of Llano? It's right by the little dam. That bridge has been there all my life and well before I was born too.

Nevermind Fence. I see they haven't and looks like the bridge is closed to traffic in this video. For them that never been to Llano, there's usually a 40' drop to the water off that bridge..maybe more. I have to wonder if that dam is still going to be there when the water goes down..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-pimiUNE0

Unbelievable...

Wife and I went tubing on the Llano at Junction many years ago. Only river tubing I ever did that we had to paddle ourselves because the current was so slow or non-existent.

Looks like the San Angelo lakes will finally get a little water after the 2011 drought. This is the second time in 3 months the south, middle, and north Conchos have 'flooded', tho their 'flooding' is a lot different and un-impressive than most rivers.

greybeard":kiocth1z said:
Nevermind Fence. I see they haven't and looks like the bridge is closed to traffic in this video. For them that never been to Llano, there's usually a 40' drop to the water off that bridge..maybe more. I have to wonder if that dam is still going to be there when the water goes down..

Unbelievable...

Wife and I went tubing on the Llano at Junction many years ago. Only river tubing I ever did that we had to paddle ourselves because the current was so slow or non-existent.

Looks like the San Angelo lakes will finally get a little water after the 2011 drought. This is the second time in 3 months the south, middle, and north Conchos have 'flooded', tho their 'flooding' is a lot different and un-impressive than most rivers.
Wow, that's the way I go into town if I'm heading that way. You're right, probably 30-40 to the river usually. Crazy it was that high.

greybeard":11bqs8dh said:

Unbelievable...

you found that link while I was looking for you it. I went and looked at the Colorado at bend last night. I've seen it a few feet higher. But I've never seen anything like that on the llano. For a brief period yesterday the Colorado flowed backwards "uphill"
Between lbj and inks...

Ha....putting it in the books I found I didn't add right... it's 9.25 inches. Got a light mist going on now but radar doesn't show much. Still short about 4 inches year to date. Got a feeling we are about to catch up.

Lake Travis for one has been very low for years. I know the folks that have anything to do with that lake are thrilled. I used to fish it when I lived there and had a great time. Have an ex co-worker that has a retirement place there.

I'm in the 4-8" band for the week. Funny back in early September we were at the end of a summer drought and hay was at a premium with everybody scrambling to get coverage for their stock this winter, not only due to availability dwindling but the pastures were dead looking like feeding would start early, like October. Fast Forward...end of Sept. the monsoon started and hasn't letup. Grasses responded wonderfully.

Now the table has turned and it's not that the hay makings aren't growing, it's that it's growing mold in the muddy fields and one can't get to it, nor be able to cure it. Checked some cows yesterday and the nice new grass is getting stomped in the mud limiting availability. Looks like things are drying out a bit after today, but next week is more rain so no hayin for now. Good old Mamma Nature. Keeps you on your toes.

It has definitely been "one of those years". Started off cold so the grass never came on strong then turned hot and dry so what was there burned up. Mid August I thought it was time to start feeding but got a 2" rain and grass came on strong then dried up again. 3 weeks later 2 more inches and grass comes back again. Now 18" since October first and it's so muddy they are tromping the best grass I've had all year in the mud. I just hope it's a cold dry winter and not a hot wet one.

Had a pair get separated and both to stupid to get themselves back together. Took care of that and they all followed me back to the house like they were tired of eating soggy grass and worms....

Latest posts