Well Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Last weekend we had quite the wicked wind storm. Our water usually gets a bit stirred up from a wind storm, but clears out the following day or so. We had a few more windy days, with some pretty substantial gusts, but the water has remained cloudy. Anyone see this before? Know what's going on?

Thanks

it happens to the cattle wells and if I remember correctly the well man said its due to a lot of surface water going in or something like that.

I know changes in atmospheric pressure affects springs, I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't affect wells depending on depth and formation.

Bestoutwest":29ge6vbw said:
Last weekend we had quite the wicked wind storm. Our water usually gets a bit stirred up from a wind storm, but clears out the following day or so. We had a few more windy days, with some pretty substantial gusts, but the water has remained cloudy. Anyone see this before? Know what's going on?

Thanks

How deep is it, how old is it, and is the well casing in good shape?
Here, rainfall, even floodwater standing on the ground doesn't affect my well water quality, and wind sure doesn't. Of course, I'm not in Idaho either.

Minor, even unfelt seismic activity might affect well water tho......

greybeard":oee4ispz said:
Bestoutwest":oee4ispz said:

Thanks

How deep is it, how old is it, and is the well casing in good shape?
Here, rainfall, even floodwater standing on the ground doesn't affect my well water quality, and wind sure doesn't. Of course, I'm not in Idaho either.

Same with us. No difference.

I'm going to have to find someone to come look at it. Thanks for the responses.

Wells should be sealed for a certain number of feet from the top.
Don't know what the amount is in Idaho.
Had a customer store bales close to his one time. In a extended period of rain, the water got pretty nasty. Moved bales, problem solved. Gs

First thing I would do is have the water tested. Will the water clear up in a glass jar after a while if so it is probable small air bubbles. If it clears and there is a sediment settled to the bottom then you night need to check the well with a professional in the area.