well, my almost-free-hay turned out to be a problem..

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Lost hay in last falls flood and a friend of mine offered replacement for whatever trucking cost from South of San Antonio to here turned out to be. He did tell me it would have some weeds in it, but beggars aren't too particular.
Most every place I fed or stored round bales is now covered in JG and ...............Jimson weed. I ain't worried about the JG at all , but the jimson weed is a different story. It pulls up easy and is just starting to bloom but I really don't want to handle it if I don't have to.
Anything besides glycosphate kill it?
Remedy?

You can see it mixed in with the JG.

The JG is obvious but the other 3 or 4 plants on the right with a crown of three leaves looks like cocklebur. When it is young, it does look like Jimson Weed.
2rpcys3.jpg

Reference picture cocklebur:
153v9n5.jpg

I spray it with 2,4 D. I use the Tractor Supply brand by Gordons. If it is Jimson, 2,4 D kills it too. Both are sensitive to 2,4 D.

Looks like the cocklebur plants we get here. They seem to come up on any bare spot or area where grass is stressed.

I personally like Johnson grass. But I know many think it's the plague.

snoopdog":3abjd61r said:
I agree , cocklebur, hate it .

The weeds I have declared war on!

1. Cocklebur
2. Poison Hemlock
3. Spinypig Weed

Other plants I campaign against:
1. Honey Locust
2. Black locust
3. Multiflora Rose
4. Ironweed

snoopdog":3u71w725 said:
I had a field with some of that on it as it does look like it from your picture. Once the grass thickened up, pretty much choked it out. When I turned the cattle in for late fall grazing they would have cockleburs all over them. I bet it was uncomfortable as the bull would have it all around his thing.

Not familiar with Jimson. MSMA will kill Johnson grass. I'd imagine it would kill Jimson if not I'd just tank mix with MSMA and you'd have it covered.

Bright Raven":1t5iy2sm said:
snoopdog":1t5iy2sm said:

1. Cocklebur
2. Poison Hemlock
3. Spinypig Weed

1. Honey Locust
2. Black locust
3. Multiflora Rose
4. Ironweed

No Thistles?? They are my arch enemy - burdock 2nd. Well, along the road, I am adamant on killing Hogwart Weed. We don't have the Giant Hogwart, but I am careful with the one we do have. It spreads like wildfire.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2jhbrqiv said:
Bright Raven":2jhbrqiv said:
snoopdog":2jhbrqiv said:

1. Cocklebur
2. Poison Hemlock
3. Spinypig Weed

1. Honey Locust
2. Black locust
3. Multiflora Rose
4. Ironweed

No Thistles?? They are my arch enemy - burdock 2nd. Well, along the road, I am adamant on killing Hogwart Weed. We don't have the Giant Hogwart, but I am careful with the one we do have. It spreads like wildfire.
Thistles are no1, cocklebur no.2 on the hate list.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":34vxb998 said:
Bright Raven":34vxb998 said:
snoopdog":34vxb998 said:

1. Cocklebur
2. Poison Hemlock
3. Spinypig Weed

1. Honey Locust
2. Black locust
3. Multiflora Rose
4. Ironweed

I forgot Thistles. They are between cocklebur and spiny pig weed.

Bright Raven":7s3qpbl5 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":7s3qpbl5 said:
Bright Raven":7s3qpbl5 said:

1. Cocklebur
2. Poison Hemlock
3. Spinypig Weed

1. Honey Locust
2. Black locust
3. Multiflora Rose
4. Ironweed

What are you using to kill the spiny pigweed? My sacrifice area is inundated. Crossbow just stunned it. Maybe i need to mix stronger..

bball":15wllfp5 said:
Bright Raven":15wllfp5 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":15wllfp5 said:

What are you using to kill the spiny pigweed? My sacrifice area is inundated. Crossbow just stunned it. Maybe i need to mix stronger..

Gordon's LV 400 2,4 D kills it. I use it at the mix of 1.28 ounces per gallon.

Bright Raven":3hesx1if said:
bball":3hesx1if said:
Bright Raven":3hesx1if said:

Did some investigating. May try chaparral. Supposed to help with seed bank also. Thanks for the lead.

Pretty sure if 24D gets anywhere near a cucklebur it will kill it. Only tip I have is kill it before it gets in the cows tails. They'll spread it like you wouldn't believe.

bball":3d56kiga said:
Bright Raven":3d56kiga said:
bball":3d56kiga said:

Did some investigating. May try chaparral. Supposed to help with seed bank also. Thanks for the lead.

I have noticed that in some areas they have returned. I assume that is from the seed bank.

Latest posts