Well I need some advice again?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted about a bloat problem in a calf and I think ( knock on wood ) We have got him straightened around back on grain and putting on wait. But now that we are 2 weeks out until fair time and the vet came out too look over all the kids 4h animals and said the same calf may have warts. Now I was not here when she came but the calf does have a few scabby type lesions around the bottom of the ear, same ear as tag is on. And One very small lesion around eye.

Question is what can I do about it? It sounded like she was not sure what they where? Is their a cure ?

If they are warts, cut them off with scissors then scrape the rest off and make them bleed. The virus will get in the blood stream and the calf will build up an immunity. That should take care of it. I think there's a vaccine if you're worried about the others.

Warts come and warts go. They are just a fact of life. If you have only 2 weeks before the fair (and probably show), I don't know of much you can do in two weeks to cure the problem.

Some of those that show may have some tricks to help hide the problem...

I would not cut them off by any means. Ouch! =), that would be even worse at the show, they would be scabby wounds.
I am not sure what you can do about the warts to get rid of them before the show, grannysoo is right about asking the others that show. Maybe they have a good idea. I have 4 cows, only 1 of them had warts. She got them at about 6 months of age in her ears and neck, then in a few months they were gone. Now she is 2 years old and I havent seen them since.

They will go away with time, but I don't think they will let you in the fair with warts. The virus is contagious, although it doesn't seem to spread easily. I've only cut them off one animal, he was more irritated about being worked on than discomforted. A little topical antibiotic and they clear up pretty quick.

First - did the vet give you health papers to show or not??? Can't believe a vet didn't KNOW if it was warts or not - and any vet should also know to CUT THEM OFF. If the one is too close to the eye to cut, she should have burned it off with an acid on a q-tip, but unless it is right on the edge of the eyelid, you should be able to cut it off.
We show cattle, and no, you cannot (in New York) show cattle with warts, but even freshly cut that day, vets at the show don't have a problem with you doing that - just so they do not SEE any warts on the animal - small open wound or scab is not a problem.
Just grab the wart between your fingers & slightly pull it away from the body, use sharp scissors & cut it low enough to get skin around the wart.
We do this all the time. There is a vaccine, but there are soooo many varieties of warts, the vaccine is usually pretty useless - and it sure wouldn't help you now. It's for prevention. Getting it to bleed is what will trigger the body to build up a resistance to them. Old timers used to cut it off & feed it to them.

Jeanne - Simme Valley"[b:1tyd2b20 said:
]First - did the vet give you health papers to show or not??? [/b] Can't believe a vet didn't KNOW if it was warts or not - and any vet should also know to CUT THEM OFF. If the one is too close to the eye to cut, she should have burned it off with an acid on a q-tip, but unless it is right on the edge of the eyelid, you should be able to cut it off.
We show cattle, and no, you cannot (in New York) show cattle with warts, but even freshly cut that day, vets at the show don't have a problem with you doing that - just so they do not SEE any warts on the animal - small open wound or scab is not a problem.
Just grab the wart between your fingers & slightly pull it away from the body, use sharp scissors & cut it low enough to get skin around the wart.
We do this all the time. There is a vaccine, but there are soooo many varieties of warts, the vaccine is usually pretty useless - and it sure wouldn't help you now. It's for prevention. Getting it to bleed is what will trigger the body to build up a resistance to them. Old timers used to cut it off & feed it to them.
Exactly what Jeanne said for other states as well, I am in Michigan and we show in Wisconsin, Georgia and Kentucky.