Well I Guess We're Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Due date is March 10, had 3 so far today to go with the twins from a few days ago and the preemie 2 weeks ago. Everyone is alive and kicking, so hopefully things continue along in an orderly fashion. I know some folks have lots of calves before the due date, we usually get some.
60 days from now I will get to sleep through the night again! :nod:

I had a single and a pair of twins a week ago, then nothing.. nothing.. nothing... Got a couple pretty bagged up and flabby butts, I figure a day or two.. Kinda slow start.. I bred for a Mar 1st start.

From my living room window this morning. I don't think this one will calve any time soon.

Momma's loafing with their babies.

Had our third set of twins this morning. :(

Cattle look to be in great condition. Hopefully it is a "dry" cold there, because it doesn't look like very fun weather to check the cattle in.. Pretty pics though.

Lazy M":2ezwmsod said:
Cattle look to be in great condition. Hopefully it is a "dry" cold there, because it doesn't look like very fun weather to check the cattle in.. Pretty pics though.

During the day it's been perfect for calving, today -4 C, sunny and no wind to speak of but it's getting awful cold at night. Looking forward to the warmer nights they are forecasting. Not looking forward overnight temps too much above freezing though.

I like the weather we have now.. a little below freezing at night, a little above in the day, snow has mostly melted, and we have a gradual breakup, so things don't turn into total muck, it gets to dry up a bit in the daytime

The twins are coming thick and fast Silver, you only started calving a couple of days ago.

It looks nice and dry underfoot in those yards.

Ken

Another set of twins at 2:00 this morning. Had to extract the second calf, both dead. Did a skin job on the one she had licked off and hung the new coat on a bottle calf. Not looking promising for the graft job to take. With hobbles and patience I hope to overcome.

Silver":2ahkzff5 said:
Another set of twins at 2:00 this morning. Had to extract the second calf, both dead. Did a skin job on the one she had licked off and hung the new coat on a bottle calf. Not looking promising for the graft job to take. With hobbles and patience I hope to overcome.

Try giving the parts exposed beyond the hide a milk bath from the adopting mother. A plastic glove and get some discharge from both ends to rub on the calf too. Never let the cow get a smell of her adoptee before you are ready.

gcreekrch":3efzwlhb said:
Silver":3efzwlhb said:

Try giving the parts exposed beyond the hide a milk bath from the adopting mother. A plastic glove and get some discharge from both ends to rub on the calf too. Never let the cow get a smell of her adoptee before you are ready.

Oh yes, played this game many times. Nearly always persevere ;-)

Just got back from watching a cow calve. When I got there it was out to the shoulders with one leg back :eek: She was making good progress, but stood up for a minute, calf lively and looking around. Then she laid back down with the calf's head under her butt. I went in the pen with her right away, she gave another push and the calf came out, it's head was free of her hind end, but I guess the damage was done. I assume broken neck, doesn't really matter the end result is that I'll start another graft job after breakfast.

Latest graft job was an instant success, that sure makes life better. First graft job cow is still hobbled and the calf is keeping her empty. Cow is at that stage where she is resigned to her fate but not yet embracing it.
Another set of twins last night. I think this cow has the groceries to look after both of them for the time being so I'll set up a pen for her and babies to inhabit until I need one of the calves.

First graft job is also now a success. Took the hobbles off this morning, the two are inseparable :D

Had a cow looking to calve today that wasn't bagged up very good. I put her in the chute after a couple of hours of nothing, but she wasn't dilated yet so turned her back out. A few hours later she gave birth to a stillborn calf probably 45 days early. Can't win all the time I suppose.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":33lguhcd said:
Really nice facilities.

Thanks, they're not much really, but get us by nicely when the weather is cold. Someday I'd like to add another water bowl and another pen or two to add more options and deal better with "odd and unusuals".

Latest posts