Well I Am Stumped

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":1ymntimh said:
An eagle can't carry off a calf

I didn't think it could either .

I am thinking cat I just can't find sign but I am not through hunting.
Hogs,dogs or yotes would have a place wallered out where they were
wrassling over the carcass.

Could it have got out of your place and then mauled by something. Could see how a bawling calf could draw some attention. How's your fencing?

LRTX1":16bdgukt said:
Could it have got out of your place and then mauled by something. Could see how a bawling calf could draw some attention. How's your fencing?

Exceptional 5 stand and two hot with warning lights if the electricity goes down.

May I play Devils advocate?

Did you at least see the birth of the calf?
I ask because we have had a cow pass her afterbirth or even still have traces of it hanging and the calf was still inside, dead.
Now your temps are warmer than our spring calving so I would guess if the calf was still in there she would be showing signs of sickness by now for sure.

So this is just a thought here.

I hope the calf turns up one way or another. Alive preferably.

Edit...I just read page too. Sorry

Sounds like a cat kill to me, they don't really leave any trace behind. Their killing method is silent and bloodless. Mountain lions do live in Texas.

Deepsouth":1h90d39w said:
branguscowgirl":1h90d39w said:
Sorry to hear that.
Do you have cougars? They will pick them up and carry them off. On my OR place, they would stack whole deer and cover with leaves.

Don't underestimate the strength of a big Bobcat to be able to do the same thing.
I do know they are capable to kill adult deer but drag them is another story.....

I have no idea, I agree that the eagle thing isn't possible though. I will say she is sure I fine looking heifer, you have always shown top notch cattle on here and she is no exception. To bad she isn't going to have a calf to raise.

denvermartinfarms":2c6c7p1e said:
I have no idea, I agree that the eagle thing isn't possible though. I will say she is sure I fine looking heifer, you have always shown top notch cattle on here and she is no exception. To bad she isn't going to have a calf to raise.

Thanks appreciate that.
Reason I took DD is she would have found the calf if it was in the thicket.
I am 100% sure she has calved but I am going to glove her tomorrow just to verify.
The only thing I can think of it is in one of the stock tanks and sank.
If there was a kill should have been scraps attracting buzzards.
Or something hauled it way off.

Caustic Burno":1w2wdxsy said:
denvermartinfarms":1w2wdxsy said:

Thanks appreciate that.
Reason I took DD is she would have found the calf if it was in the thicket.
I am 100% sure she has calved but I am going to glove her tomorrow just to verify.
The only thing I can think of it is in one of the stock tanks and sank.
If there was a kill should have been scraps attracting buzzards.
Not with the cat kills tho. Cougars covered their kills with leaves and soil so the scavengers cannot smell the kills.

I've lost sevarel over the years like this, no explanation and never find anything. We have alot of hogs and we have some bears and mountain lions. Along with the coyotes and bobcats I figure when something happens I am safe blaming them. And I have some places along roads in the middle of nowhere, wouldn't be surprised if some of the baby calves I've lost over the years didn't get hauled off by someone, there's been people get cought around here that were exclusively stealing young calves when they got the chance.

Dog should have found that, I doubt that a cat would haul a kill more than a half a mile.
Had the cow's in the pasture by the house, it is half a mile to my woods, except along the creek
and I have looked in every tree, walked the woods along the creek three times looking for sign .
We even covered the woods behind the pasture.
I thought two legged predator as well, no foot prints anywhere along the county road.
Its a dirt road if you get out your making a track unless you can levitate.

Caustic Burno":2aw6cpox said:

This heifer calved a couple days ago and there is no calf to be found anywhere.
I have walked the creek three times it is only 6 inches deep. Me and DD have crawled through
every thicket no calf. No buzzards, no sign of dogs or coyotes calf is just gone.
Cow knows the calf is dead just laying by the hay rack last couple of days in mourning.I have checked every pond on the place. There is no sign of anything anywhere.
Any chance the calf is under the hay in the hay rack. Several years ago we hunted for 2 days for one and it had laid down next to a hay roll and a cow had turned the hay roll over on top of it and killed it.

Several years ago we had one that calved but never could find it, cow kept gong to the pond and would bawl and stare at it. It took a couple weeks before the calf floated up.

Losing one now and then is part of the game we play that doesn't bother me.
If you aint got them can't loose them.
Bothers me not knowing what happened.

I have some cows that hide their calf and you can't tell if they have been sucked or not. Its like the calf doesn't suck enough the first few days to really draw them down. Usually I can beller like a calf and the cow will head toward the calf where it is hidden.

Caustic Burno":1h3t1nqn said:
Losing one now and then is part of the game we play that doesn't bother me.
If you aint got them can't loose them.
Bothers me not knowing what happened.
I see it the same way, of course it's never good to lose one, but it's a better feeling when you find it and know what happened.

Back in my dog hunting days I brought my dogs where there was bears and panthers. And the dogs would get really weird when they smelled either one of them nasty creatures.
I hope you figure it out CB. Keep us updated.

Latest posts