well here it is

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
well im going to buy a cow or a cow/calf...Me and my family are good friends with a big cattle producer he lives 2 miles from me...he has any cow from a angus to longhorn and everything in between....I was either going to buy a longhorn pair from him for 550 or see if i cou;d find something at the sell...or just buy an open cow at the sell or from him and breed it this winter what does anyone think

If you are buying a pair, unless the calf is a newborn to 2 months old, the cow should be bred.
That's what someone meant when they advised for you to buy a 3 in 1 package. You buy a cow/calf pair and the cow is already bred back.
Open cows being sold are usually PROBLEM breeders.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":38icb5lq said:
If you are buying a pair, unless the calf is a newborn to 2 months old, the cow should be bred.
That's what someone meant when they advised for you to buy a 3 in 1 package. You buy a cow/calf pair and the cow is already bred back.
Open cows being sold are usually PROBLEM breeders.
No truer words were ever spoken !!! :)

Yall need to reread the first post. He is going out to some guy's place to buy a $550 Longhorn pair. While the cows may be running with the bull, at THAT price I doubt there will be any preg checking. I might ask for a guarantee that she is a breeder; but under the circumstances asking for a guarantee on the pregnancy is probably pushing it.

Brandonm22":i72e3o5k said:
Yall need to reread the first post. He is going out to some guy's place to buy a $550 Longhorn pair. While the cows may be running with the bull, at THAT price I doubt there will be any preg checking. I might ask for a guarantee that she is a breeder; but under the circumstances asking for a guarantee on the pregnancy is probably pushing it.

I agree.

Agreed. I've bought quite a few pairs (some bred back) for between $590 and $725. Some are Herefords, Angus, some crossbreds, and one that I think is just a longhorn that was dehorned as a calf. $550 for a longhorn pair sounds about right.

Latest posts