Welfare

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
We've never signed up for any assistance. The county agent has told me several times about grass programs and such but we have never partaken in anything.

Last year day care cost nearly $8K for my grandson. Uncle Sam only let me claim $600 of that. Practically all of my normal contribution deductions and a lot of other things were out the window too. I no longer qualify.

There comes a time when a person has to simply swallow their pride. My daughter wanted to sign up for day care assistance but I had been refusing her. "just let me pay it."

If legitimate expenses cannot be deducted, I am now going to let Uncle Sam pay for it. She can sign up for day care assistance and housing assistance - food stamps whatever she qualifies for.

"I am now mad too Eddie"

Yes welfare is out of control. Government controls it.

But why should I and everyone else foot the bill to take care of your family if you are capable of taking care of them?

Major reason welfare is out of control.

Wellfare helped raise my kids-they are now hard working tax paying Texans. Wellfare is keeping me alive,paying for my chemo,and helping keep a roof over my balding head,and I have food on the table. Thanks to a Government that did away with the poorhouse.
I worked for years paying taxes.. I don't think I'm takeing more than my share. That being said,I'll be setting in the welfare office,waiting my turn,watching all the other folks there,playing on their high-dollor cellphone,with their kids playing with their high dollor gameboys,and I get mad..

The problem with welfare is that it makes too many people comfortable. If people are comfortable with all of the programs and assistance, what incentive do people have to get out and work?

Being poor is not a disease. It should be a little uncomfortable.

That being said, if your daughter does not get the money, someone else will. I think she should get all of it that she can.

We've bought a lot of groceries. Folks wanting to borrow money to feed kids and we just went to the store and bought for them. A few occasions we did not have the time so we just gave them money. One lady did bring me a receipt so that I would know the money did go for groceries for her kids and it made me feel guilty somewhat.

My grandson is important to me and his well being is assured. My daughter is not doing as I would have her do and that is out of my control. She is not breaking any laws are doing the things she did that got her in that situation, but she is not behaving as I would like. Her son is not my responsibility but rather hers. It is past time she learn to deal with the situations she puts herself into. I don't pay day care for my other grandchildren.

In oder to pay the day care bill, I have to gross approximately 50% more than the bill. That would buy a whole lot of groceries for kids who need to eat. They have no control of the situation they are in.

backhoeboogie":oeiq3w4p said:
We've bought a lot of groceries. Folks wanting to borrow money to feed kids and we just went to the store and bought for them. A few occasions we did not have the time so we just gave them money. One lady did bring me a receipt so that I would know the money did go for groceries for her kids and it made me feel guilty somewhat.

I never give money anymore. If someone is hungry, they can have food. Too many crack-heads wanting their next fix to give away money.
My grandson is important to me and his well being is assured. My daughter is not doing as I would have her do and that is out of my control. She is not breaking any laws are doing the things she did that got her in that situation, but she is not behaving as I would like. Her son is not my responsibility but rather hers.

Sure he is her responsibility, but you're going to do the same thing that I would if necessary. You'll take care of the little man if she doesn't.

It is past time she learn to deal with the situations she puts herself into. I don't pay day care for my other grandchildren.

You may not pay for them, but you're not going to let this one suffer because mom is not doing her job.......

In oder to pay the day care bill, I have to gross approximately 50% more than the bill. That would buy a whole lot of groceries for kids who need to eat. They have no control of the situation they are in.

Tough situation all the way around, but I know you'll do what is best for your grandson. Just remember in this whole situation that it's not his fault.

grannysoo":2dnbfy9z said:
The problem with welfare is that it makes too many people comfortable. If people are comfortable with all of the programs and assistance, what incentive do people have to get out and work?

Being poor is not a disease. It should be a little uncomfortable.

That being said, if your daughter does not get the money, someone else will. I think she should get all of it that she can.

I'll agree it is a rotten arrangement. Many are really in need of asssistance, but many on assistance are their for convienience and are kept their because getting out isn't rewarding. In all fairness, welfare should be a last resort safety net.

I know of one example where a son was living with his mother. Together they could split the bills and could live ok. Then she retired and went on assistance. She is doing fine as everything is now provided for her, but he is now on his own and can't keep up with the bills. Now he has medical problems that put him on medical leave from his job. Next step is disability. He couldn't make bills with a job, how is he going to do it on disability?

backhoeboogie":s247jx55 said:

My grandson is important to me and his well being is assured. My daughter is not doing as I would have her do and that is out of my control. She is not breaking any laws are doing the things she did that got her in that situation, but she is not behaving as I would like. Her son is not my responsibility but rather hers. It is past time she learn to deal with the situations she puts herself into. I don't pay day care for my other grandchildren.

Man Backhoe, I don't mean to sound cold hearted, but maybe that is the price you need to bear for your daughter. She is after all your family. If one doesn't look after his own, why should anyone else.

I don't have the answer to who should get help and who shouldn't and why. I just don't think the answer is always government assistance for everyone.

Paying some of her bill for daycare or all of it will give her more money in her pocket to feed YOUR/HER family.

Why don't you try this; give her the money or better yet buy groceries for them that will relieve her of some debt and then maybe she could pay her own daycare.

I don't know, maybe I've got it all wrong and if I'm seeing it wrong I'm sorry for even piping in.
This story just reminded me of my grandma who everyone just loved because she would cook for the homeless. But most people didn't know when she was doing all her great deeds, she left grandpa who was bed ridden all alone the whole day, without food.

Think twice before you help other people eat, if you don't have enough money to help your daughter then why are you shelling out for others.........I just don't get it, sorry.
I hope I didn't step on toes, it's not meant that way.

backhoeboogie":1vz8l436 said:
We've never signed up for any assistance. The county agent has told me several times about grass programs and such but we have never partaken in anything.

Last year day care cost nearly $8K for my grandson. Uncle Sam only let me claim $600 of that. Practically all of my normal contribution deductions and a lot of other things were out the window too. I no longer qualify.

There comes a time when a person has to simply swallow their pride. My daughter wanted to sign up for day care assistance but I had been refusing her. "just let me pay it."

If legitimate expenses cannot be deducted, I am now going to let Uncle Sam pay for it. She can sign up for day care assistance and housing assistance - food stamps whatever she qualifies for.

"I am now mad too Eddie"

A lot of the deductions and credits we used to qualify for we don't anymore. We make more than we used to and consequently pay substantially more taxes. I'm thinking about getting an accountant. I definetly need to look into it.

Walt

TexasBred":ri35te64 said:
Just keep giving to worthy causes...let the CPA decide if it's deductible.

They said no. Yes I am mad. Yes I am ranting some.

I did not ask for a hand out and never will. I had refused to let my daughter ask for assistance she is qualified for, which actually helps her son. For Pete's sake if a person is willing to pay day care, instead of the government having to pay it, why can't it be written off?

He cannot be put on my insurance policy at work unless I adopt him. He could be signed up for medical assistance, food and probably housing and who knows what else.

It was a bad assumption on my part to think I could write off some of the expenses I guess. Namely daycare. That is what I am upset about.

backhoeboogie":8pym05ko said:
For Pete's sake if a person is willing to pay day care, instead of the government having to pay it, why can't it be written off?

Because you spent the money and not the government. Welfare has nothing to do with helping people, it has everything to do with control. :secret:

That control is out of control.

Thanks for listening folks. I'll shut up. And vette, you weren't cold hearted.

I should be thankful that I am able to help folks. I've got a real soft spot for kids.

Boogie, if your daughter works and has enough income such that she actually pays income taxes you should consider making a cash gift to her and then letting her pay for the child care. In so doing, she could get the benefit of the child care credit and the overall taxes paid to Uncle Sam by the Boogie "family unit" would be less. In the meantime, be thankfull for all that Barnet and Haynesville shale royalty cash. :D

backhoeboogie":1lbyjh88 said:

"I am now mad too Eddie"

Boogie I have never been against people that need a helping hand now a hand out and I am ready to fight.
We have many Americans that are in need of a helping hand that our government turns its back on.
Right here in Texas we pay to educate, medicate, feed, and provide supplemental income to Mexican nationals that cross the border to feed at our trough and return everyday. These people have never paid one dime into the system. This is just one example of the robbery thats being commited by the three main terror organizations in Washington reguardless of the party. The biggest threat to the American people in recent years has become the Congress, Senate and White House.
Boogie you have been chosen as one of the lucky few to pay for these socalism policies Cowboy up.

backhoeboogie":2xnpv3gf said:
Caustic Burno":2xnpv3gf said:
Cowboy up.

:D :D :D Yes sir. I know you understand. I know what it is like to be a hungry kid too.

bhb - I know it's frustrating. I've had 4 kids pulling on my teats for years. Finally starting to get them weaned, but it ain't over till it's over. I do have my doubts that it will ever be completely over.

The thing that I keep telling myself is that if I can't help my kids, then everything is all in vain. I don't want to give them handouts, but do want to give them a helping hand.

Reminds me of the old days when you were sick, they either bled you or stuck leeches on you. At times, that's how I feel. I do understand much more of how my parents felt now. When my kids have their own children, they have been taught how to help family. If they are greedy and do not do that, then I will have failed.....

Latest posts