Welding Rods

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz said:
skyhightree1 said:
When you weld a ton you'll notice how easy to remove slag and such. There is major differences in some cases. 7018 is my general purpose rod I use most I use some 6011 it's not pretty but will hold. I generally weld then grind 6011.

7018's are easy to chip, and they just leave such a pretty weld. Not to mention the strength, 70k psi vs. 60k for the 60xx rods. As you already mentioned, they aren't the easiest rods to restart. I'll drag them across something rough, and I've noticed that they'll burn up into the flux more than other rods.

Have you heard of us forge rods?

skyhightree1 said:

I don't recall the name. But then again, I can't tell you what is on the box of 7018's that I'm using now.

cfpinz said:
skyhightree1 said:

I don't recall the name. But then again, I can't tell you what is on the box of 7018's that I'm using now.

They sell here locally at Agri supply and by far the worst rod I've used cheap come in a cardboard box wrapped in saranwrap

For full penetration root weld, 6010. For capping passes cover with lo-hy (7018). 7018 if done right pretty much sheds it's own slag. It should be lifting itself off the weld as it cools, and a quick swipe with a piece of welding rod will finish the deal.
6010 and 7018 transfer from rod to weld differently from each other. (spray vs. splatter) so both are pretty handy for their intended uses.
I do want a grown-up sized MIG for the shop though. Those are handy right there.

Silver said:
For full penetration root weld, 6010. For capping passes cover with lo-hy (7018). 7018 if done right pretty much sheds it's own slag. It should be lifting itself off the weld as it cools, and a quick swipe with a piece of welding rod will finish the deal.
6010 and 7018 transfer from rod to weld differently from each other. (spray vs. splatter) so both are pretty handy for their intended uses.
I do want a grown-up sized MIG for the shop though. Those are handy right there.
6010 has it's place but not every weld. I use 6010 to cut bolts in the field sometimes. 6010 can make a problem for you. When I was getting 6g certified I vowed never use it again lol

Latest posts