Welded pipe H-brace question?

Help Support CattleToday:

chevytaHOE5674

Reaction score
Ok guys up until now all my fence is high tensile wire on H-braced corners with RR ties sunk 5' deep and a 10' horizontal 6x6.

New farm I'm driving 4.5" steel pipe almost 6' deep and using a 10' horizontal pipe welded in.

Question is do I need a diagonal brace wire on the welded pipe H's like I did with the wood ones?

From what I understand the diagonal wire is done to keep the posts tight against the brace so it can't slip out.

There's no need for it on a welded corner brace.

Depends on your welding skills. If you have it soild you don't need it unless you just want it for some other reason.

You won't need it in your lifetime sinking them that deep. I set my 4.5" pipe corners at about 30-36 inches on a 7-8 foot 2 3/8" cross brace.

They don't move.

Thanks guys for reaffirming the wire isn't needed.

Haven't seen welded pipe corners within 400 miles of here so I can't compare. Lol

As for them not moving being that deep I'd bet the farm they still will over time. Our Frostline is 60" and its no unheard of for it to go deeper. Combined with wet clay soils and we see a lot of frost movement.

Last edited:
You do freeze a lot deeper than we do up there. Our frost line is right around 20-24 inches.

I have seen some pics posted on CT with welded pipe corners that have the diagonal wire on them but I have never figured out why they were needed.
Haven't figured out why, if deep driven welded h corners are the cat's meow/the bee's knees/all wool and a yard wide, why they need a diag pipe deadman on the end of them.
But, I'll take their word that it is necessary

So fence you are saying you put the diagonal wire?

I'm not opposed to putting one in. Just wasn't sure if it was necessary.
I would recommend putting a h with a welded diagonal kicker to a third pipe stubby. Or Deadman.
This does a couple things. It redirects the force of pull to the ground. It adds a third pier. And it extends the length of the brace.
If that's not in the cards. I would do what we call a half brace. Two post with the horizontal running diagonal to the ground on the second. It's pretty simple that a diagonal is stronger than a square. If you're married to a single H. Yes a cable from the bottom of the end to the top third of the second makes it way stronger. If you understand leverage and I think you do. ..... think about it.

Got ya. I understand the leverage and load transfer that the diag brace gives you. I have single H's on short runs and double H's on long runs.

I was all set to put diagonal cables with gripples on all the braces when I started noticing pictures of welded corners with no braces so I had a momentary head scratcher. Lol

Back to the original plan of diag brace cables.

Definitely yes. Put one from the top down to the bottom of the corner post. It doesn't matter how stiff your brace is your top strands will be pulling the corner post out of the ground. The brace transfers the tension to the bottom of the corner post. It's just like hanging a picture on Sheetrock with just a nail, doesn't matter how strong the nail is it will pull it down and out. The little hooks that angle the nail does the same as the cross brace and the nail can hold a lot of weight. If you don't put a brace save this thread and in a couple years look at your brace and see who's correct. The only h brace I've seen work without a cross brace was one made with 10" pipe and cemented in

Am I misreading this thread?😄 The OP is asking about putting a diagonal wire on a welded h-brace? Like as in take slick wire and spin it with a pipe... on an h brace... that is already welded up solid?

I wouldnt think a diagonal brace WIRE is going to help keep a post in the ground much, if any.

A diagonal brace, like a dead man, ya they are great. I never figured a brace WIRE did much more than helped lock in the H since a lot of time your brace pipe is just hanging on nails.

So yall are saying evening though you weld up Hs... you still need to put a brace WIRE? 😳

Am I misreading this thread?😄 The OP is asking about putting a diagonal wire on a welded h-brace? Like as in take slick wire and spin it with a pipe... on an h brace... that is already welded up solid?

I wouldnt think a diagonal brace WIRE is going to help keep a post in the ground much, if any.

A diagonal brace, like a dead man, ya they are great. I never figured a brace WIRE did much more than helped lock in the H since a lot of time your brace pipe is just hanging on nails.

So yall are saying evening though you weld up Hs... you still need to put a brace WIRE? 😳
Yes ..it's stronger with than without...all day long.

Latest posts