Welcome Tropical Storm Harvey

Help Support CattleToday:

Headed to the lake tomorrow, catching those cats between the squalls. I do have to say I don't ever remembered them screwing up the predictions this bad. Y'all have fun

Last update prediction is for up to 2' of rain in the Luling area falling off to 15 to 20" by Texas City.
This is going to get nasty.
That is a lot of rain over a lot of ground

Caustic Burno":3snh3k2v said:
Last update prediction is for up to 2' of rain in the Luling area falling off to 15 to 20" by Texas City.
Only 2" in Luling, I always get screwed, guess it's better then nothing. Hope everyone on the coast holds on.

BK9954":1lig59kf said:
Caustic Burno":1lig59kf said:
Only 2" in Luling, I always get screwed, guess it's better then nothing. Hope everyone on the coast holds on.

2 feet

We are going to ride it out as of right now. They are saying landfall as a Cat 3 but we are one county in and they are acting like it will be a 2 when it reaches us. Im ok with that, I guess. If I wake up and they say landfall is a Cat 4, Im gone. I have a the essentials ready to go if need be.

Harvey is now a Cat 2 hurricane.
HURRICANE HARVEY
Last Updated: 8/25/2017, 12:00:00 AM (Central Daylight Time)
Location: 25.5 N 94.9 W Movement: NW at 9 mph Wind: 100 mph Pressure: 28.56 in

The 12Z Thursday runs of our top intensity models—the HWRF, LGEM, COAMPS-TC, HMON, and DSHIPS—predicted that Harvey would be a Category 1, 3, or 4 storm at landfall. The HMON model was the most aggressive, predicting Harvey would max out at Category 4 strength with a 924 mb central pressure. However, the HMON had Harvey with a 966 mb pressure at 2 pm EDT Thursday, while the actual pressure was 979 mb, so the HMON forecast is likely overdone. The HWRF model was the most conservative, predicting Harvey would max out as a Category 1 storm with 90 mph winds and a 960 mb pressure. However, the HWRF had Harvey with a 984 mb pressure at 2 pm EDT Thursday, when the pressure was actually 979 mb, so this forecast is likely too conservative. The LGEM, Decay SHIPS, and COAMPS-TC models all predicted Harvey would be a Category 3 hurricane at landfall, and so did NHC in their 4 pm CDTThursday advisory. This appears to be the best intensity forecast, though we cannot rule out Harvey making it to Category 4 strength, or coming ashore as a Category 2 storm.

This is looking bad for the corpus , port A area.
Harvey is still growing and the front from the north stalled out. So there's nothing to weaken the storm until it makes landfall and stalls on the dead front. The only thing I can remember like this was ts Allison I believe. Killed over 20 people. This storm is much more powerful.
Friends of my parents live at Victoria they're whole life. He's as salty as they get. Yesterday he was staying.. this morning he's coming here.
God bless Texas

We will have you Texas folk in our prayers. I just received notice from Florida Diaster relief leadership to be on standby in case volunteers are needed. They said the storm will likely be a cat 3 at landfall. Stay safe!

Gizmom

callmefence":qpbd2d85 said:
Harvey is still growing and the front from the north stalled out. So there's nothing to weaken the storm until it makes landfall and stalls on the dead front. The only thing I can remember like this was ts Allison I believe. Killed over 20 people. This storm is much more powerful.
Friends of my parents live at Victoria they're whole life. He's as salty as they get. Yesterday he was staying.. this morning he's coming here.
God bless Texas

Victoria went mandatory evacuation last night.

The bad thing is right now every one is trying to go North and the roads are packed. You have to go a good ways that way to clear all the rain. There is video of how far the traffic lines are backed up going thru Halletsville.

There is no one on 59 right now. A person could hook it up to Laredo and be in the clear in a hurry.

Brute 23":1pev5hfo said:
callmefence":1pev5hfo said:
God bless Texas

Victoria went mandatory evacuation last night.

The bad thing is right now every one is trying to go North and the roads are packed. You have to go a good ways that way to clear all the rain. There is video of how far the traffic lines are backed up going thru Halletsville.

There is no one on 59 right now. A person could hook it up to Laredo and be in the clear in a hurry.
Take 59 all the way to Arkansas as well.
That is the problem now our population has grown bigger than the shelter needs if we have to mass evacuation of the coast.
Traffic in Rita killed as many or more as the storm.
The problem with riding one out is you can't get EMS for your family in the event needed during the storm.
I wouldn't even think of riding one out living 50 miles of the coast.
Carla and Rita both added headstones in our family.

Brute 23":2mcbr9au said:
We are going to ride it out as of right now. They are saying landfall as a Cat 3 but we are one county in and they are acting like it will be a 2 when it reaches us. Im ok with that, I guess. If I wake up and they say landfall is a Cat 4, Im gone. I have a the essentials ready to go if need be.

Your a dang fool not to leave if you have somewhere else to go. I think in 2004 Francis and Jean hit the east coast of Florida back to back, and then Wilma hit the following year. I moved out of south Florida, screw a hurricane, I have enough to worry about already. Good luck and stay safe.

True Grit Farms":wvy9gudc said:
Brute 23":wvy9gudc said:

Your a dang fool not to leave if you have somewhere else to go. I think in 2004 Francis and Jean hit the east coast of Florida back to back, and then Wilma hit the following year. I moved out of south Florida, screw a hurricane, I have enough to worry about already. Good luck and stay safe.

Anybody who needs a place to go is welcome here. Between the three houses on the place We have several extra bedrooms and a man cave built onto the shop.

True Grit Farms":3techq2m said:
Brute 23":3techq2m said:

Depends how big the buffer county is between him and the coast, the elevation rise, and how strong his structures are I guess. There are 3 counties between where Ike made landfall almost due south of me at Bolivar Roads. We had some 85mph sustained winds for several continuous hrs. NOAA's Hurricane Research Division and NWS use 1 minute time period to determine what a "sustained wind" is versus a 'gust" .
I'd much rather get hit by a 110 mph gust than endure and be buffeted by several hrs of 75mph winds...

greybeard":2jn4wg7l said:
True Grit Farms":2jn4wg7l said:
Brute 23":2jn4wg7l said:

Depends how big the buffer county is between him and the coast, the elevation rise, and how strong his structures are I guess. There are 3 counties between where Ike made landfall almost due south of me at Bolivar Roads. We had some 85mph sustained winds for several continuous hrs. NOAA's Hurricane Research Division and NWS use 1 minute time period to determine what a "sustained wind" is versus a 'gust" .
I'd much rather get hit by a 110 mph gust than endure and be buffeted by several hrs of 75mph winds...

You better get to high ground GB looking at the forecast.
Hate someone to mistake you for a nutria rat.

Bouy Data offshore Aranasas Pass. 21 ft sea tells me that some are probably up to 35'. Pressure "falling rapidly". Im glad I'm not there!
DBC
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 13:50:00 UTC
Winds: N (10°) at 35.0 kt gusting to 42.7 kt
Significant Wave Height: 21.7 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 13 sec
Average Wave Period: 8.8 sec
Mean Wave Direction: ESE (117°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.39 in and falling rapidly
Air Temperature: 80.6 F
Dew Point: 77.2 F

Brute 23":2h4h2edf said:
My son left with his mom and their family already. None of my family left so it is what it is now. :tiphat:

My brother left my dad at 89 years old to deal with hurricane Matthew last year. He wouldn't leave so he got left. But in my dad's defense he's on the highest point of land in Rio, has Rolladen shutters and a 25 kw generator and 500 gallons of fuel. His house is supposedly built to withstand wind gust to 200 mph and 150 mph sustained winds. Good luck Brute and stay safe.

I am looking at 40-60 mile per hour winds and they are forecasting possible 20" of rains. Looks like I may have a green fall. I may be patching some fences but as long as it doesn't reach the house I am fine. THE EYE OF THE STORM IS HEADING STRAIGHT FOR ME. We are going to have a hurricane party tonight. :cowboy:

BK9954":2tc0y6rl said:
I am looking at 40-60 mile per hour winds and they are forecasting possible 20" of rains. Looks like I may have a green fall. I may be patching some fences but as long as it doesn't reach the house I am fine. THE EYE OF THE STORM IS HEADING STRAIGHT FOR ME. We are going to have a hurricane party tonight. :cowboy:

Bunch of people had one in Biloxi during Camille they became headstones the ones they could find.
HeII of a time to party.