Welcome to my PAP nightmare.

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Well it looks like my grand experiment has gone south. I bought this bull last fall from John Oswald in Hutchinson Ks. The first time I saw him at 3 months of age I knew I wanted to own him. The only drawback would be "Would he PAP". Well sad to say the answer is no. He needed to be a solid 45 or less for me to use him to make registered bulls with, unfortunately he PAP'd a 49. He was a 42 in Dec but jumped to a 49 in March. As it stands every calf would be a crapshoot and my herd is not big enuf to absorb those odds. I am freakin sick about having to sell him to lower country but I have no choice. :frowns:

@205 days @ 757lbs and absolutely NO CREEP. With very nice balanced EPD's across the board. BW 80 lbs.
IMG_1102_3_.jpg

With his dam(who btw I also purchased).
Cow_pics_005.jpg

Pictures from today 14 months approx 1250lbs

DSCF0259.JPG

DSCF0251.JPG

3way, that really sucks!!! He's a great looking young bull, which I'm sure is the reason for your disgust... I guess the slight silver lining is that at least he still has value other than hamburger. Sadly, not to you though.

Gators Rule":1nrf33mx said:
3way, that really sucks!!! He's a great looking young bull, which I'm sure is the reason for your disgust... I guess the slight silver lining is that at least he still has value other than hamburger. Sadly, not to you though.

He is one last step away from having his AI certification. I will finish that soon and sell him or an interest in him and retain at least 1/2 semen interest. I just feel like he is too good not to collect.

That's too bad 3way. Dang good looking bull, ship him down here and I'll keep an eye on him for ya. ;-)

Vic, I have some really good news. It's no longer necessary to PAP test your cattle. According to some recent threads, all cattle are now to be fed and managed the same regardless of where they are raised. Those folks that raise cattle in lower elevations don't have to worry about Brisket Disease, so you don't either. They'll be just fine.

I suggest we have an election and choose The World's Greatest Cattle Producer. That person will then set some guidelines as to the best way to raise cattle. Everyone else will follow those guidelines and, voila!, we all live happily everafter. No more wars, no more bullies, and taxes will be a thing of the past. Doesn't matter where you live, we all live as one. People that raise Longhorns will not be allowed to participate. :p

Seriously, I'm sorry for your bad luck. I hope things work out so you can at least make sone decent money off him, even if you can't use him yourself.

Vic, if he were black I would be sending you my deposit to hold him until I could get there :cowboy:

Well like I said I own his momma and this is who she will be AI'd to this year;http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN01174&lang=EN

Plus my Angus cleanup bull PAP'd a 38 so I should get a good calf either way. If I can get it to load I will post a picture of this bulls little sister out of Ideal Direction, wow, is she ever a load.

I am also thinking about AI'ing her next year to Dunlouise Excalibur. He is red factored and PAP's very well. Plus she is large enuf to make up for the size issues associated with some of the Scottish Angus.

3waycross":3qswutuf said:
I am also thinking about AI'ing her next year to Dunlouise Excalibur. He is red factored and PAP's very well. Plus she is large enuf to make up for the size issues associated with some of the Scottish Angus.

just curious, is this based on progeny PAP scores, because Forfar, Scotland is about 200ft above sea level :D Sorry about your bad luck with the red bull, looks like a stout sucker but no use if they're keeling over....

robert":20johml0 said:
3waycross":20johml0 said:

just curious, is this based on progeny PAP scores, because Forfar, Scotland is about 200ft above sea level :D Sorry about your bad luck with the red bull, looks like a stout sucker but no use if they're keeling over....

Robert I spoke to a RA breeder in Wyoming last week and she had 3 bulls out of Excalibur that all PAP's 40 or lower.

Here's his little sister out of the Ideal Direction bull. I may keep her if she doesn't stay too masculine looking as she gets older. She weighed in the low 90's but should make some nice balancers with my Angus bull, and they will PAP.

DSCF0261.JPG

ledoux79":1bim8lke said:
You have to help me out here. I have never heard of a PAP test. Tell me about it.

Ledoux it is a measure of how they will fare at high altitude. They stick a probe into their Pulmanary artery and I think into their heart. It measures the pressure and predicts how high they can live without getting what we call "Brisket Disease". This bull would not do well above 7500 to 8000 feet.

Also isn't there concern those cattle that are sensitive may have an issues even at lower altitudes, like around Denver/Greeley, when pushed hard on feed? (my mind is fuzzy from sleep deprivation, so correct me if this is wrong).

Commercialfarmer":13mnxvlk said:
Also isn't there concern those cattle that are sensitive may have an issues even at lower altitudes, like around Denver/Greeley, when pushed hard on feed? (my mind is fuzzy from sleep deprivation, so correct me if this is wrong).

I don't think it is the same thing. In this case he was tested at very high altitude. He would for example be just fine anywhere on the plains of Colo he just isn't any good over about 7500'.

I believe the feedlot thing is a different deal I just can't explain it.

He would have no problems at a lower altitude. We are 5,000 and places like Cheyenne are 6,000. He would be fine at either place.

Latest posts